8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » American Pickers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Pickers
Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a program on dave ja vu and it showed a garage full projectors cinema ones and portable ones and films wow some of the projectors were from 1908

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 11, 2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I haven't seen this one.

-but the one I remember Frank found an old 16mm machine. He said "People love these for their media rooms.", but he didn't ask what they do basically every time they find something mechanical: "Does it work?".

-guess that doesn't matter if it's "Décor".

Did they seem interested this time?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was great steve and there were films there too i noticed a ceretain film cape fear 16mm then they looked in the loft and found loads of bell and howell projectors

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 12, 2014 02:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they buy anything?

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2014 02:40 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this episode on British TV today. The recently deceased collector sounded like he was an on-set projectionist. He had worked on CAPE FEAR running dailies. There was a stack of dailies for the film right there. Also a lot of 16mm film and yet the projectors were mostly 35mm Cinema machines from Century and others. The building they were in was a bit chaotic. I made a mental note to myself not to let my own collection get out of hand...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 12, 2014 02:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch that show and sometimes I feel sorry for the families left behind when some of these collectors go to the big swap meet in the sky: basically nothing to do but dig a big hole and hire a couple of bulldozers!

It's all well and fine when you have a garage full of antique gas pumps and your heirs can sell them and put your grandkids though college, but then you have the entire barns full of broken furniture and collapsing under its weight.

You keep seeing some guy that's "clearing out" and he has 5 acres of junk:

"We had a good day today, I sold off five things!"

Let's hope he lives to 150 at that rate...

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2014 04:28 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I had five acres of junk I just love film.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> The recently deceased collector sounded like he was an on-set projectionist.

This episode aired years ago here in the US.of.A. If memory serves me right, they paid too much for worthless junk and left the valuable stuff behind.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC