8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Rubber focus sleeve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rubber focus sleeve
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 01:35 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know what is the best thing to use on the shaft what focuses the lens on the elf projector

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2015 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
This may interest you.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001173

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 03:39 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
contacted german guy 2 months ago any never got a reply

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 03:54 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try a small rubber hose with the same outside diameter.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one of mine I have a small piece of black electrical tape. Might be twice wound round. This has enough 'give' to make the grip. Sellotape is too smooth.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 08, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The valve rubber used on older bicycles will probably do the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weldtite-Traditional-Cycle-Valve-Rubber-For-Bike-Inner-Tubes-/400806561833?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5d51eec829

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2015 03:26 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Maurice thanks for the link sent for some today

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 08, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip Maurice, and keep us updated David, looks promising.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 09, 2015 09:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's at least one other thread on the 16mm part of the forum. I've only just seen this but the PERFECT tubing - at least if you're looking for it in the UK - was a particular type of windscreen washer tubing that you could buy from Halfords. They probably still have it but I can't confirm this, but there were two types so it's important to get the right size. I've fixed about 5 projectors with mine and I had plenty spare so I sold most of it in lengths long enough for about 5 fixes, on BFCC bring and buy stalls for £1.50! I first used it about 10 years ago and it shows no signs of deterioration, The cycle rubber may be as good, though.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 07:11 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can confirm the tubing Adrian uses works perfectly. I bought one of the tubes Adrian was selling, they are quite a generous length. From the amount I used, you would get more than the quoted five fixes

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 07:56 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re tubing have you got a bit of a sample you could send me thanks david

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 10:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian
Halfords still sell this tubing in clear nylon, it is available in two widths.
Not sure which size is the one for the Elf focus.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=washer+tubing&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 02:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm virtually certain that it's the narrower type (RWC5) but I'll see if I can confirm that if I can find the packaging from when I bought some. The price is very low - I think it's much less than I paid years ago so I hope it's made of the same material, but it certainly looks the same.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 03:44 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tried the clear tubing years ago it was no good its the same stuff they use on the pumps for tropical fish but I may have got the wrong size so I am going to Halfords tomorrow to pick some up and ordered the other stuff Maurice told me about I should have that Monday will let you know if it works

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 07:57 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just tried the tubing from Halfords does not work unless I got the wrong thickness as I believe there a two types just waiting for the one Maurice told me about fingers crossed

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 11, 2015 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David I was sold some of the silicone tubing just cut up roughly as right for the Eiki but its only OK to a degree, its a bit hard and slippy. It was blue but I`m sure they are all the same stuff.

If we could pin down a rubber tube like Adrians, thats just right be far better.

Best Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.

The tubing I use is silicon vacuum / carb tubing with a 3mm internal diameter.

I recently bought .5 metres (about 2 feet) for £1.20 including postage from an Ebay UK seller.

At about 1cm per projector you can repair 50 projectors with this - it works well on all the models I've serviced including NT-0, SSL-1 and EX4000p.

Ebay URL:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Vacuum-Hose-Silicon-Rubber-Pipe-Tube-Vac-Air-Water-Coolant-Oil-Turbo-/190884940904?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Remember to select 3mm internal diameter and .5metre length - there are nine colours to choose from to match your eye colour or underwear as preferred!

Kevin.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 01:22 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just ordered some will try this expecting some tomorrow what Maurice said will let you know

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 11, 2015 08:00 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this rubber nitrile type, not sure if 3.5mm will be OK or what the outer is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitrile-Rubber-Black-Smooth-Fuel-Tube-Petrol-Diesel-Oil-Line-Hose-Pipe-Tubing-UK-/251163773050?pt=UK_Lawnmower_Parts_Accessories&var=550185825600&hash=ite m3a7a87087a

Best Mark.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2015 04:47 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the rubber Maurice suggested is no good to thin its impossible to get it on the shaft

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 12, 2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
If you moisten the shaft with a little spit the rubber should slide on.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2015 07:58 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will try that Maurice but just ordered some of the other stukk as well will get there in the end

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2015 01:25 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
received the rubber that kevin suggested its about the best up to now does focus ok but after a while slightly goes out of focus will do for now till something better comes along thanks kevin

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 02:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another suggestion, David.
Have you got any old rubber covered cable? If so, you could strip off the rubber from the wire inside it and use that.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC