8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dreaming About The Forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dreaming About The Forum
Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2015 12:59 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might be on the forum too much these days. Last night I had a dream that about a dozen people from the forum started a tour of going around showing films for a mere $3, 000 [Big Grin] Well my church hired you to come (not sure why?) I was so excited that I was finally going to get to meet some forum members. Well you guys showed up in a fancy tour bus and most all of you were all stuck up and didn't really want to talk to me except for Paul Mason was very nice and friendly (which the whole scenario is quite hilarious because most of my experience with people on the forum has been a good and pleasant one, not to mention, I don't think I've ever had any dealings or discussions with Paul Mason).
Sorry, there isn't much point to this post but dreams are strange. I think it somehow stemmed from the conversation my wife and I were having. We were talking about going to CineSea and I had said it would be interesting to meet and put a face to some of the forum people but also I had said I probably wouldn't have much in common with anybody, except films of course. There is a lot more to life then film, although, sometimes I forget that [Wink]

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 26, 2015 01:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Really funny that Zech, I can assure you I have nothing to be stuck up about and therefore I certainly ain't ha ha.

From my experience on here, I don't believe many are. [Razz]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 26, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zech!

Come to Wildwood and find out for yourself!

When you enter the room there the first time, it's "just a bunch'a guys": they seem nice. When you are there a little while you start to realize that the greater part of the bunch is right here on a daily basis and to some extent you already know us. (I've always been resistant to those "Hi, I'm..." nametag stickers at social events, even moreso here: it would ruin the surprises!)

It's always easy to find somebody to talk to you in that room: walking up to any one of us, looking at what's on screen and saying "This is nice" could be good for half an hour!

There is a lot that happens in the three dimensional world that can't happen here on a discussion forum. We have our own non-film lives that don't belong here in public: so this is a better place to know of us than to really know. That's one of the things a gathering like this is better for: you spend a weekend hanging out, even better you sit down and have a couple of meals and talk. Something often happens at these meals where people aren't talking about splices and reels and 'scope, but all of a sudden their families, their jobs and their lives: human stuff.

It's far from stuck up, as a matter of fact it's very welcoming. It's the kind of thing I wouldn't be afraid to bring my wife and kid to, proof of that is I've done it twice and they expect to come with me now!

This is strictly sweat shirts, jeans and sneakers: come as you are, have a good time, go home happy you were there.

-If this whole thing has any kind of goal, that's it in a nutshell.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 26, 2015 05:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fancy tour bus [Big Grin] .....stuck up [Smile] ....yes we are [Big Grin] ...just kidding.... except for the $3000 [Wink]

Its a funny old world, and you do strike people "not here" from time to time who do think themselves as special, but as Clint Eastwood would say... "they are legends in there own minds"... anyway, go along to one of those conventions and have fun...I am sure you would enjoy it. [Smile]

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2015 05:21 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I would love CineSea [Smile] I don't believe it will work for us to go this spring but hopefully soon. Films, film enthusiasts, & the ocean, sounds like a great combination.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2015 05:39 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Zechariah, you say there's more to life than film, but if you think about this, your whole life is viewed before you at 24 fps ?. I saw something in the UK on TV, which said that pigeons see our world at 250fps, this is why more of them perish standing in the paths of cars, as they see them in slow motion, and only react when they detect air pressure difference, by then its too late for them to get out of the way, sadly. Just my thought of the day.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 26, 2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, now I will go to bed dreaming of flying rats getting mutilated by lorries! Ha ha.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 26, 2015 05:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Forum is really great: among a lot of good things it has done it is pretty much the launching pad CineSea took off from.

-but...

There is no substitute for getting together face to face. For example there's a big difference between typing back and forth about a piece of equipment or a film and standing there in a group looking at the thing. There is also a lot of (ummm...) back story about these prints and how they came to be that is not always...prudent to discuss publicly.

-in person you often hear stories you won't here.

It's also interesting to hear other people talk about their specialties in film collecting and why they like them so much. Personally I had never gotten the appeal of digest film until I heard several digest fans talking about it over dinner. They talked about the editors who did the work (knew their names...) and the skill of the edits. They had a hoot talking about the stinkers too. It's obvious these guys have been savoring these films for years and maybe the reason I don't feel the same is I'm not educated like they are.

-I'm still looking for somebody down there who can appreciate a good railroad film...but we all have our thing!

I think we do this too much on our own in any case. You can enjoy the satisfaction of this all on your own, but when you get a bunch of people together the enjoyment just multiplies. Saturday at CineSea is actually a 16 hour day between breakfast and the end of the last reel slapping on the projector. If it was work you'd feel exhausted, but it seems to fly by.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 26, 2015 06:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree entirely with your very good points raised there Steve. I am hoping to go to a few events this year here in the UK to hear just some of those stories you refer to.

I am a very transparent person as you've probably gathered, with what I consider very little to hide, so in that respect, the things that go on behind closed doors... so to speak, always leave me somewhat bemused.

Ah well, it takes all sorts to make a world as they say.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 27, 2015 08:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in the UK and not going to one of your conventions is a wasted opportunity!

Wherever you are, if you like the idea of these gatherings it is both right and smart to support them in the best way possible: show up.

Nothing discourages the people that run them more than a hall with five guys sitting over in the corner.

-that's the last step before calling it a day.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 09:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep you are bang on there Steve.
Problem is, I work annualised hours and if I am rostered in, then I have to be in, whether that's Christmas Day or Convention day unfortunately.

I will try to make whichever I can though, especially as one of them is more than likely to be the last Steve.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 27, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understood,

When my project goes into full operation, here and there I may have to haul myself out here at 3 in the morning, walk up to a rack, give it a kick and hope it comes to so I can go home and go back to bed! (It's delicate equipment...you have to kick it exactly right!)

-actually the message was meant for the Forum membership in general. Wherever you are, If you have the means and the time, support your local convention!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 11:09 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are world-wide in scope, so to speak - Shorty

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2015 10:37 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually,Zechariah, Steve lied to you about Cinesea. We all arrive in our BMW's and Cadilac's dressed in our fanciest clothes, drink Champane,eat caviar on imported crackers and brag about our mint IB tech prints and our expensive projectors. Nah,just funnin' you, Zechariah. Cinesea is very informal and loads of fun.

Speaking of dreams: I've had a few about Cinefest. One was where they kept the best films for sale in the hotel's basement and there were 16mm projectors stacked from floor to ceiling. But the weirdest one of all was the dream about Cinefest being held in the woods. While the rest of us sold our films from little campsites, Ohmer and Lacy Wayne had an entire top of a hill filled with tables full of films. Kind of Freudian don't you think? Anyway,I went to my table to find it overturned and the IB tech of Time Machine I was selling was stolen; the thieves leaving only the empty film box. I go to my suitcase to check my clothing and discover they stole my sweatpants, leaving me with only a few pairs of socks and some tee shirts. Do I pitch a bitch because my IB tech Time Machine was stolen? No,I go ballistic because they took my sweatpants. Is that a crazy dream or what?

[ March 02, 2015, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Joe Vannicola ]

--------------------
Joe

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 05:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Joe, that is some dream! A pint of what you drink please!!! Ha ha ha.

--------------------

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 03:03 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to know I behaved well in your dream Zech unless there is another Paul Mason? Certainly all my conversations and dealings with forum members have been pleasant and helpful.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC