8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Why does it take so long shipping from UK to US

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does it take so long shipping from UK to US
Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2015 09:45 PM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my topic has any one sent packages from the UK to The us ? how long does it take usually>>???.
I talked with a ret. friend use to work for compnymany years. his job was deling with imports from over seas and around the world. all came through customs here through a us port.
my package should have been her by now.
what going on here?

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 10, 2015 09:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two last items that were sent to me in Belgium from the US took only a few days to arrive. But I sent a book to the US on the 2 nd February and it hasn't arrived, yet. I fear it is lost.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 10, 2015 10:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when I've bought a film from the UK I have it about 10 days after I order it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2015 06:08 AM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they were metal cans Yes I too fear there lost it has been well over a month .I checked when I paid the man well
I now say I've have to file a claim if they don't arrive by friday this week
Thank You Guys you've been most help full

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2015 06:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The other way around usually takes pretty much 10 days for me as well. Just like Steve says.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2015 10:04 AM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well this is very bad news.
The cans are metal reels and cases also.
I really hoped that they were not lost.
My friend works in the postal service and knows a customs inspector I will get it looked into immediately.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very difficult Bill if sent with no tracking data. I always insist on such as well as a reliable well known tracking service such as Fedex or USPS etc etc. Never had anything go missing so far, touch wood.

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2015 10:49 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tough call!

I have a daughter who lives in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and we exchange boxes all the time, I send presents for my grandchildren and other items!

Sometimes they show up in the good old USA within just a few days and other times it takes forever.

So far, the fastest I have gotten a package was 5 days from door-to-door and the longest close to 3 months.

Jon

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2015 10:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah well, this brings hope to Bill then. That will be a
relief to him hearing that Jon thanks.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 11, 2015 10:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sent a package home from Germany one June and put my Mom's address on it since we would be away for another two weeks and didn't want it showing up at the house ahead of us.

It showed up at her house in September: no damage, no evidence of forced entry and no explanation either.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 11, 2015 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot depends on the actual kind of shipping.

Case in point ...

I had a optical sound feature sent to me a few weeks ago. The parcel/package had both a need for a signature as well as tracking, so I assumed, wow! It should be here quick.

Boy, I was wrong!

The need for a signature not only meant my signature, but every spot that the package stopped at from the UK to here, which means that, while some packages (without signature) fly right through and get to you in a week, this one took more than twice the time, as it had to be verified by signature at every "hub" it stopped at ...

The funny thing was, it only took three days to get from the UK to Los Angeles, and another almost two weeks just to go from Los Angeles up to Mountain Home, Idaho, (which is only two states away.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Intersesting points in deed.
it was sent the chepest way from the uk
I'm thinking slowboat maybe the ship sank along with my films .
Gosh I hope not.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries Bill, hope you get news of your goods very soon. [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 13, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Andrew.

One thing I would caution on ...

If the package has to be signed for, and you know when your mail comes as a general rule (if it's the regular post, it tends to have a regular time), then do you're utmost best to be there each day at that time ...

... otherwise the postal fellow won't be able to deliver your're mail to you, not without that signature.

Now, if it's coming by UPS or some other non-regular post company, you may have a problem there, (which I have ran into myself occasionally) as then you will have a note on you're door saying someone attempted to deliver and then you have to arrange for the package to be delivered the next day at whatever time, and I know from personal experience, that UPS can come at any time, whether good or bad, and you have to set aside, sometimes, your whole days plans, just to get your package!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC