8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Vertigo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vertigo
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, we went to see a special showing of the Hitchcock classic Vertigo at the Enzian. Even though it was a noontime showing the house was packed with people eager to see for the first time, or experience yet again, Hitchcock's masterpiece. No it was not 35mm, and IMO I get a better looking picture at home with my own digital projector, but it hardly mattered as the audience became totally immersed in the film and you could hear a pin drop all the way through it.
Even though I have seen this film many times at home, this was definately a very special viewing for me, experiencing it for the first time in a theater with an audience that really appreciated and respected this great work of art.
If there is a more beautiful looking and sounding film on the planet, I would like to know what it is.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul looks like the Enzian has some nice classics coming up. Are they showing film or DCPs?
I wish I lived closer to such a theater, glad you enjoyed the screening.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 10:10 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blu Ray is terrific so it can look great at home. Was there a trailer on super 8 anyone know?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2015 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear from you Alan. Yes The Enzian regularly shows golden age classics along with current indy features and some first run films from the major studios. It is a very nice venue, located in Maitland. I would estimate the screen size as about 30ft wide, seating is very comfortable with plush chairs and tables. The food is superb. It is a non profit run by, and supported by dedicated local film buffs. They still regularly run 35mm, and intend to keep doing so when they can get the material, even though most of their presentations are now digital. They often have guest speakers and film stars come and talk about the films they are showing.
They are planning to expand to 3 screens - once they have raised 2 million dollars! [Smile]

Steve,
Yes the Blue Ray is really stunning projected on my Panny 4000. I do have aVertigo trailer on S8, but it has totally faded to pink and I am not sure who released it. I also have a promo reel for Hitchcock films put out by Universal in the 1980's, narrated by James Stewart, that includes a few clips from Vertigo. The reel runs about 4 minutes and was printed by Derann so the color is fine, although it is loaded with negative scratches.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a super 8 trailer for Vertigo, but like Pauls mine has gone red too.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend, The Museum Of The Moving Image in New York City ran a stunning 35mm IB Tech print of Vertigo. It was a treat to behold!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 01:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That must have been really something to see Mitchell. As good as the Blu Ray is, I am sure the 35mm Tech print would look better.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is slightly off-topic, but only last week I watched Brian Depalma's "Obsession", which is of course regarded as his own version of Vertigo, albeit slightly disregarded over the years.

I bought the Blu-ray for £6.00 and the transfer, courtesy of Arrow Video is simply stunning.

It was like watching a brand new 35mm print at home. What a truly great time we movie lovers live in.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Brian De Palma's films even if they do all seem to run to a set proven formula. Not seen this one though Rob, have to give it a go sometime.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 07:22 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rear Window is being sponsored by TCM in your local theaters in the USA today.

Check local listings, enter your zip code.

The Sound of Music is scheduled for April.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC