8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Movie" John Rabe"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Movie" John Rabe"
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 13, 2015 04:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching the history channel this morning which concerned the terrible events in 1937 when the Japanese invaded Nanking.

The story of the international committee led by a German called "John Rabe" that stayed behind, when others had left the city during the invasion, and at great risk to himself and others were to form a "safe zone" for many of the civilians of Nanking. It was reported that his actions saved the lives of over 200.000 people. After the war he died poor in Germany in 1950, but was highly regarded in China for what he did to save others.

Up till today I have never heard of "John Rabe" or the film made a few years ago regarding him, its quite a story...has anyone seen it?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2015 11:25 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing about this film (2010?), was a German release and I had wanted to see it. Thanks for the reminder Graham, I'm going to find a copy. I did read a book by Iris Chang, The Rape of Nanking, which covers these horrific events and details Rabe's efforts to save the Chinese in the "safety zone" of Nanking. There was an American missionary, John Magee, who secretly filmed over 100 minutes of 16mm footage of the events and was able to smuggle the film out of the country. The story was suppressed by the Nazi regime and Rabe was interrogated by the Gestapo upon his return to Germany and later released.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 06:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clay

I will have to look out for the DVD. I understand that John Rabe was allowed to keep his diary and his family still have them. I think the German film makers used them as a source, so it could be an interesting and factual account.

What I have read their were 15 members of the international committee American, British, German etc...all took incredible personal risk to make that decision to stay behind and save others.

Clay if you get the chance check out on you-tube the sinking of the American gunboat "USS Panay" that had just left Nanking...amazing film footage taken at the time.
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC