8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Qautermas and the Pit Blu Ray.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Qautermas and the Pit Blu Ray.
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 26, 2015 06:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always mulling over the odd good Blu Ray, I just wondered if anyone has the Quatermas and the Pit, and what do you think its like compared to the DVD please, ( that I have ) that is pretty good as far as dvd goes.

I see The Reptile Blu Ray, is £7.10 delivered with free delivery on amazon if you speand over £10 or have prime. Not bad really.

Any thoughts ?

Best, thanks, Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2015 11:57 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

The Blu-ray is brilliant, it's one of the best Hammer transfers.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2015 02:19 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Reptile is also a superb transfer.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 27, 2015 02:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I might have a punt on the Reptile next week but Q and the P will have to wait a while.

Thanks for the info.

Is the Reptile any good, as it gets very mixed reviews ?

I myself sort of wish they would stop buggering on about 4K and get the standard of Blu Rays up to the best they can do.

Its effectively another format, so surely sorting BR right out and dropping the price to sell loads more would make more sense.

Mind you if you comapre it to VHS prices and what you could get then etc its lovely and cheap.

I can`t help thinkong most collectors simply won`t hop ship, bar a very few, and maybe on odd titles. Good BR is much better than you need anyway surely. Even a decent effort made DVD is pretty good.

Better would be too shoot in 70mm, then go to BR or 4K BR.

Got the 1979 Languella Dracula for £6 delivered not long ago, so at least some are coming down. Quite sharp but the palette is bit low.

But I still think on the hammers £9.99 each usual, then 6.99 on offers etc they would sell 100 x of them.

I might start sending a few moaning and your missing a trick, holding the format back, emails, well its maybe worth a try!!!

Best Mark.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2015 03:28 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
With regard to the '79 Dracula, the director John Badham decided he wanted the DVD release to have a 'drained in colour' look in keeping with the subject matter. I prefer the the colours on the Universal 8 2x400ft version personally.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2015 06:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course now some Blurays are mastered at 4K, which most people say is right and that DVD masters should be scanned at 2K anyway. Mainly, I think, because it hides any post scan sharpening that is used to compensate for telecine softening, ie edges falling on two pixels.

The Reptile has the advantage of having Jacqueline Pearce (Servilan from Blakes 7) in it as well as a good transfer.

Mal, I hope you have edited in the extra bits from the 300ft promo Super8 of Dracula, that makes a full 800ft reel - pity only the titles are in 'scope.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2015 12:27 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as Ultra-HD, think HDR.

High Dynamic Range.

Coming soon...

Sad thing is, this could be a real boon with the new 4K format, giving us all potentially much better images at home.

But so far, it is just left out on a limb...the "Blu-ray Disc Association" are, "quote", going to support an "open standard" on this...

Oh dear...

Ah well, at least this means that "old fashioned" HD displays and Blu-ray will get cheaper.

With a decent display; TV or projection, Blu-ray has offered us film fanatics a wealth of material that we could only have ever dreamt of seeing properly outside of a time-machine or a 35mm / 70mm projector set-up at home.

Companies, such as Arrow Video and Hammer, with releasing through Studio Canal, have genuinely tried to give film fans the best quality. These are really good times for film fans.

And the future will only get better...

Don't get me wrong; I'm a die-hard film fan. But today, I can watch "films" as the people making them intended. And appreciate them all the more.

Honestly, these are really great times for people that appreciate and care for cinema past and those that also look forward.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC