8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » English question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: English question
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 06, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, Belgium of course is a Lilliput compared to UK but we have different accents as well. In France, there is a big difference between the North and the South accent. Tom, without starting any political or sensitive debate, what you are describing also happens in Brussels. You sometimes even hear now local Young Belgians talking with a foreign accent !

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2015 12:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle told us he often hears German kids singing Rock songs in perfect English. Then he tries to speak English with them and finds out all they know is lyrics!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 06, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone in the UK understand what the scots say? [Big Grin] [Wink]
Im only jokin' don't get all upset [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope the other Scots do! [Wink]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely I knew one Scot who was easier to understand the more he had to drink.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 06, 2015 07:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing happened me this morning and just after the school run, when I was approached by a pretty young lady tourist in the car park. [Smile] believe me "that" does not happen very often.

Anyway she asked first if I was local "I said yes" and could I help her with directions. As soon as I started talking she looked surprised ....are you from Scotland?.....yes...where are you from?...Sweden...so we had a good long chat. I do hope in the end she understood the directions I gave her [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Dominique I hope you get a chance to visit Scotland, both Glasgow "people there are friendly" and Stirling Castle are worth a visit.

Guess who my favorite character from the Simpsons is"
 -
[Wink]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 07, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I visited Glasgow and Edinburgh.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 08, 2015 05:10 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this short you-tube video called "Scottish accent trapped in Elevator.flv"

Its about two men trapped in a "voice recognition control" elevator and unable to control it because of their Scottish accent [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/BncDeMO-enO

Hope this link works its very funny. [Wink]

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2015 06:15 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
being a "scouser" from Liverpool I neither speak the Queens english nor the BBC's,indeed I doubt whether the Queen would understand me !
I once read an article many years ago that implied that if an 18th century englishman came back to life,he would understand the americans more than the english,due to the fact thet the anericans use obsolete english words ie sidewalk instead of pavement,trunk instead of boot etc,there are many more

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 08, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one la! [Smile] [Big Grin] R we sorted r kid or wot as a certain famous Burnage not right would say ha ha.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorted !!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 08, 2015 08:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2015 12:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It amazes me that so many actors from the UK can speak with an American accent so convincingly. Nicolas Hoult comes to mind who was in About A Boy (2002) and had a very strong English accent. Then more recently he was in Warm Bodies (2013) speaking with an American accent. Other actors also have very good American accents like the late Barry Morse who played Lt. Gerard in the 1963 "The Fugitive" TV series...Hugh Laurie who played in the TV series "House"...and Ewan McGregor from Scotland who is a master of several dialects.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 08, 2015 12:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Captain Montgomery Scott himself said:

"Up yer shaft!"

(Worked for him...didn't it?!)

Scottish Elevator Voice Recognition

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 08, 2015 12:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting remark Janice. Some people never loose their accent while others impresively get the way the people around them talk. I remember two examples of Morocan students from my school. They both had a strong foreign accent as they came late in Belgium. I saw one of them only a few years after he left the school and he talked like any genuine Belgian citizen but was in the Belgian army ! The second one went to live in Québec (where as everybody knows people speak French as well). Surprise, he came to say hello after two years and he had a Québec French accent !

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last May a friend of mine from Scotland came to visit. He has a very strong accent and at first I thought I might need an interpreter to understand him. [Confused] [Eek!] I had to listen very carefully and after awhile I could tune in to understand him better. While he was here we did a webcam call to his wife and son. Despite the fact that his son has never been to the US...his accent was much more American than Scottish. He told me the kids at school told him the same thing....Go figure? [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 08, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To a large extend it's mass media and easy travel. Hundreds of years ago the average human being rarely got more than 5 miles from the place they were born.

-just the thing to keep accents and languages separated and intact.

A few years ago I got a ride to the airport and less than a day later I was in central Siberia. (-fortunately it was July!)

Had somebody tried this stunt roughly 1615 the odds of the getting there are slim, of ever getting home again almost zero.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC