8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Benq W1070 Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Benq W1070 Question
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 05:30 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking of adding a video projector,does anyone own the Benq W1070, if so can you please give advice on performance, and is the 'rainbow effect' really noticeable. or is it that some are more susceptible to it's presence...you thoughts please...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve, the rainbow effect is something that tends to effect some people more than others. For me personally, I hate it and if DLP was the only digital projection available to us all, I would not own a digital projector.
For others, it seems it really doesn't bother them at all. So i would suggest you go and audition one in the flesh so to speak to see if it is suitable for you and your family.

I know Lee Mannering has recently purchased a brand new Benq digital projector so he would be the best person qualified to contact regarding the quality of the image from these machines in comparison to all the other options that are currently available.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 05:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve. You may have already heard me banging on about the Benq but as a new user of said projector here are my thoughts after having been projecting video myself since 1990 alongside REEL film and having had a few projectors.

I wanted to replace my well used old LCD projector so started to look around at other models including Panasonic, Epson and the list goes on. A friend has a Panny DLP which was fairly expensive and I was not impressed with the rainbow thing on it to the point I found it unsettling to watch so I was a little worried to go for a DLP in the end you will gather in any make. Eventually I got to see the W1070 up and running which had in fact been used for demo well over a year so this removed worries of unreliability for me at the bargain price tag of just over half price.

The Benq is what it is a very reasonably priced good quality DLP projector with a good selection of sockets, decent size so as not to miss it and a picture of very good quality. Re the rainbow effect of these DLP machines, of all the DLP's I have seen in recent years being used it is minimal on this and at this price you would not find better for sure. We did a Cine/Video show with this recently here and the W1070 performed very well indeed, if you do see the rainbow thing its typically on really bright things such as a gleaming sword tip perhaps.

As mentioned before we use all the cine gauges alongside vid from Blu-Ray to Betamax and being a reasonable size projector it sits nicely alongside a cine projector. The system menu is easy to get round and the remote lights up in the dark if you need that facility which can be handy as some of us get older. I cant really find a fault with this model and guess for the price its leaps ahead of the others in the sub 1K bracket. Hunt around you will find it on offer for well under 500.

In use the Eco lamp setting is still bright enough for a 8ft screen and will give you 50% more lamp life also saving 20% on juice and the environment. You will only need full power for much larger screens as it is bright, also the lens is of good quality for a video projector.

Happy viewing!

[Cool]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 06:15 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you Lee & Andrew, the screen will be 2m wide as my projection room is not that big, question (as I will not be using my tripod screen) should I get a 16.9 or 4.3 and raise the 4.3 accordingly to fit aspect ratio?...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go 4:3 to give you the best of both worlds. If you limit yourself to a 16:9 you will only be able to show 4:3 in the middle of the screen and smaller if you get me.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 07:10 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that opinion of Mr. Mannering ... I insisted on 4:3 screen, the seller wanted to sell 16:9, as that was THE THING nowadays. I politely explained to him, my screen was mostly for film projection, not video projection. He didn't quite get it, until I explained what a film projector is.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 07:42 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that's the screen ratio sorted, I kind of thought 4.3 was the way to go...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 08:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have a dedicated room for your projectors like myself, then I suppose whatever ratio you choose will always be a compromise at one point or another in the way I feel my own screen is.

I have an electric 10ft diagonal 16:9 screen. This means the modern digital panel more often than not, fits it perfectly with the entire white section of the screen being filled to capacity.

However when I use my cine projector of course, this leaves the two sides of the screen unfilled by cropping the image size from the cine projector to the top and bottom black masking bars.

Also then when you project cine films in scope using an anamorphic lens as well, the full width of the screen comes in very handy, but of course, there is a section of the screen at the top and bottom that is not utilized and therefore remains white outside of the top and bottom black borders.

For those fortunate enough to have a separate home cinema room, you would surely pick a scope shaped screen and have moving black tabs to crop the width accordingly depending on what is being screened.

For everyone else, including myself, it really does have to be a compromise and as 4:3 screen sizes are the furthest away from the scope aspect and will therefore only give relatively small scope images, I chose to go for the screen shape that will cater the best it can for all of my needs which in my case was the 16:9 ratio at the tallest size I can accommodate in my smallish lounge.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the compromise with 4:3? You only raise the screen to fit 16:9 and have both in one?

Can't go wrong with 4:3 in my opinion

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 08:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could have a 4:3 screen the width of my 16:9 one Vidar, then there would be no compromise and I could lower it to the correct height each time as you suggest Vidar.

However, in my case, that would mean for the width of screen I currently have, the 4:3 equivalent would be around 18 inches off the carpet and that would be when mounting it, as I presently do, right up to the ceiling.

When I used to have a fairly large 4:3 manual screen in the home, to come down to where my present one does, it was only around 60 inches wide, which I prefer wider than that to get decent height of image in scope.

--------------------

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 09:58 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an earlier BenQ 8700+ which was the latest and greatest consumer HD DLP video projector circa 2004. I used it until last September without any problems. In fact, the only reason I bought a new one was that I wanted 3D capability. I'm projecting onto the same 12x5 foot wide screen I use for projecting 35mm at home. Like many cinemas, it is a fixed common height screen with movable side masking.

As too the rainbows, as Andrew said, you will need to see it for yourself. I almost never notice them, and when I do it is only with high contrast B&W along with quick head motion. On the other hand, I have friends who cannot watch single chip DLP without seeing them. It makes it unwatchable for them.

Personally, These days I recommend the Panasonic PT-AE8000 (I'm not sure if the British model number is different). It is an LCD based projector with excellent color/brightness/contrast, and is 3D capable. With a well mastered Bluray, it rivals 35mm in picture quality.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 10:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mitchell,

Yes the PT-AE8000 is the PT-AT6000 here in the UK.
It is the projector I have been speaking of on this digital subject on here recently and is almost certainly, the one I would purchase today if I was buying a new one.

--------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Toshiba DLP 4:3 and and have not experienced any rainbow effects. I compared quite a few projectors and based my decision on one that has the Texas Instruments BrilliantColor technology.

The other brands that did not have this the colors were not as rich & vibrant! If you are looking for one make sure it has the Texas Instruments BrilliantColor because there is a huge difference.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 11, 2015 11:47 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see any rainbow effect on the BenQ W1300 I got either, but a friend of mine can. Sometimes it's good with bad eyesight? ;-)

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 02:28 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only see the rainbow effect on my Optima DLP when very rapidly panning my eyes from one side of the screen to the other, something that is not necessary very often.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 18, 2015 04:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny Vidar! [Razz]

The Benq has some hours on it now and having watched B&W and Col flicks I'm more than happy with the performance, certainly in the value for shilling area it is a bargain..

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 18, 2015 04:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad you are pleased with it Lee [Smile]

With any home cinema model produced in the recent past, I do believe it would be difficult to find one that produces anything but excellent images now. It's just a case of finding one that suits your preferences.

For me, it is sharpness of image with plenty of brightness, no visible pixel structure, decent black levels and no rainbow effect.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC