8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Lost films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lost films
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 23, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That just makes my day! I would LOVE to see that complete film!! (and ... even better if super 8 prints could be struck of it, eh Shorty?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 24, 2015 06:24 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won't happen, 16 maybe - We'll see it only on a DVD or Blu-Ray, which is just as good, considering - The days of manufacturing film on film, darn little if any

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding BATTLE -- has it been mentioned here on the board before? This is news to me. And great news it is. I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about more.

Now can HATS OFF be far behind? I've read "proof" that it is impossible for HATS OFF to turn up in 16mm. Nonsense. If BATTLE was now found in 16mm, why not HATS OFF?

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 25, 2015 08:44 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show me the proof about an impossible 16 HATS, as a 'Son', I gotta know - Youngson's first documentary (1958) used what footage he could salvage for BATTLE, probably the remaining parts were not going to see the light of day, who knows...Then, Blackhawk released the scored pie-fight in 1980, then in 1984 the newly found reel-one prizefight was discovered and made into a Super 8 Scored release - Going back to HATS, many silent films were released, albeit in truncated form, even in 8mm - Fragments might turn up in that format, likely too a 16 clip or 2, so don't count it out yet - WC Fields' films, some were found along the way, I think RUNNING WILD - I search constantly, Shorty

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2015 06:16 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"proof", by Richard w. Bann:

FILM PRESERVATION – ANOTHER FINE MESS
8th paragraph

I'd like to know the proof of the liquor Bann was drinking when he wrote that, since his theory is now shot to you-know-where now that BATTLE has been found in 16mm.

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 01:12 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really fair to criticize Bann too harshly. In the item you link to, he is saying that there exist no vintage, commercial 16mm prints of M-G-M silents to speak of. The recently discovered 16mm print of Battle of the Century appears to have been a one-off reference copy made especially for Robert Youngson, something no one else in the world knew anything about until earlier this year.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Times yield new information, sometimes for the better - Many USA films are being located overseas, I feel our "lost" items will likely be found there, and we still have to remain vigiliant and search whenever we come across a selection of films located in someone's home or such - One never knows...Shorty

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2015 03:24 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK we feel the same about exported TV shows that had the masters here wiped. We all hope for them to be found in a private collection or overseas TV station vaults.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 28, 2015 01:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
French television did a good job about keeping archives. They have almost all the transmissions from the beginning. That's not the case with the Belgian tv and there are live youth transmissions I used to watch as a kid that no longer exist.

--------------------
Dominique

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 28, 2015 08:28 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the 16mm forum, about a year ago I guess, someone messaged an article about workmen who, while excavating a building near the WPIX-Channel 11 area, unearthed a room with master atpes and materials

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2015 03:20 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tongue was planted firmly in-cheek when I wrote that comment about Bann's theory. [Smile]
Bann states, defiantly, "No complete, vintage 16mm print of either title will ever surface because they were never printed in 16mm."

OK, so it technically wasn't complete, but BATTLE DID surface in 16mm.

I'm confused why we don't have the whole film of BATTLE now. So reel 1 that was found 30+ years ago was not complete?

Bann also states: "HATS OFF, [...] will never be found on 16mm"

http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/news/nav-news.html

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2016 10:52 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know when BATTLE OF THE CENTURY with Laurel and Hardy, with the newly discovered footage, will be available for viewing by the public on DVD? There have been at least 2 public showings to small groups in the U.K.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 07:55 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any updates on BATTLE?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC