8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » ... lossless format after .avi ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ... lossless format after .avi ...
Earl J. Moniz
Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Earl J. Moniz   Author's Homepage   Email Earl J. Moniz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,
discussion today in our Special Operations Command History Support Center (Archives) centers around a lossless video format since .avi may not be around forever... and it may not fulfill the requirements of long-term digital video storage for more recently introduced video formats.
Claims here only to introduce a discussion for archival purposes without any real scientific proof ... we (our lead archivist and I) agree on .avi for video; .tif for imagery; and .wav for audio.
We are currently in the process of converting our 16 mm film artifacts (from the 1930s forward) into digital form.
We are trying to figure out what to do with them once we have them in digital form - the most efficient, reliable, and long-term techniques.

Please jump in and give us any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, techniques, solutions, or otherwise share your oceans of notions with us to help us get through our dilemma...
(grin)

Thanks for any assistance. . .

Until that time. . . Earl J.

--------------------
Born On Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha y'all. . .

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 15, 2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The .avi is just a container extension. What codec are you currently using for your archives or are you using lossless/no compression? AVI lossless codecs I've used have been HuffyUV, Lagarith, and BlackMagic HD. What makes you think that AVI will go away?

[ June 16, 2015, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Earl J. Moniz
Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 10:36 AM      Profile for Earl J. Moniz   Author's Homepage   Email Earl J. Moniz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Janice,
thank you for the response.

quote:
The .avi is just a container extension. What codec are you currently using for your archives or are you using lossless/no compression? AVI lossless codecs I've used have been HuffyUV, Lagarith, and BlackMagic HD. What makes you think that AVI will go away?
We convert our captured images over to .avi through Sony Movie Studio Platinum 8.0 (yep, I'm a Sony Vegas fan - been one since Vegas 4.0)... not sure which CODEC Sony uses.
Our archivist and I agree on methods for storing our "essence" versions of digital files based on our decisions over what we need here in the office and what we can "predict" for the future.

Yes, indeed, you hit the nail on the head; we are looking for the best resolution we can get stored in a lossless and uncompressed format.
NARA and The Library of Congress have both yet to determine a standard for the rest of us in government service. We make our best guess at what we think we need and can use in the future.
We use .avi, .tif, and .wav as our baseline formats.
In our ignorance, we believed that .avi was a Microsoft proprietary format...
much like some people believe that .pdf is an Adobe proprietary format...
In any case, our primary factors are lossless and uncompressed for the essence (original images/video/audio) of our files.
We eventually make faster loading, more easily transported, and easier to store versions for researchers (.mp4, .mov, et al.).
So, although some think that Microsoft "might eventually" abandon support for .avi, it probably isn't going anywhere for a really long time. (grin)

Our real question is:
are there any other lossless and uncompressed formats that could be used for archival purposes...?

Any help and guidance is certainly welcomed.
Thank you very much...

[ June 26, 2015, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Earl J. Moniz ]

--------------------
Born On Valley Isle,
Aloha y'all. . .

Earl J. Moniz
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for Earl J. Moniz   Author's Homepage   Email Earl J. Moniz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Janice,
those programs look promising. . .
I've passed it along to the archivists as well
to give us a baseline around which to conduct
our future discussions.

Thank you again for your comments ... and links.

To complete the record, I never heard about .avi
going away from any sources I follow;
the archivist mentioned it in passing...
then in further investigation, he admitted that
he misread the article which created his notion
that ends up being way off base
... (sigh)
[Smile]

--------------------
Born On Valley Isle,
Aloha y'all. . .

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one problem I have with avi is that it takes up so much danged room just to make the file. Do any of you know of a way to copy in avi format, but then, get it to be a smaller file?

Every old VHSC 30 minute cassette takes up around 25 or so GB for the file, just to make the copy. Absolutely brilliant quality, but it fills a PC awfully quick!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 25, 2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi...If you use the DV-Format Video, HDV (1080i) codec 3.6 MB/sec...1 hour = 13GBs. This is about the smallest file size you are going to get for a high quality HD output. If you use SD (720x480) it would be about 11GB/hr. The Lagarith lossless codec is around 30GB/hr and the HuffyUV about 40GB/hr...both much larger. You just need to determine the quality with which you are satisfied.

Here is a disk-space calculator that might help:
http://studiopost.com/contact/tech-specs/calculating-disk-space-requirements

Since I got my BlackMagic capture card...I have been capturing and archiving using the M-JPEG codec (the codec is available without the card). It has an .avi extension and the file size is substantially smaller than uncompressed...but slightly larger than HDV. However the visual quality is excellent and great for editing.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly all avi means is Audio & Video Interleaved, that is a combined file of sound and picture (in sync hopefully).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC