8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » An interesting YouTube video development ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An interesting YouTube video development ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 11, 2015 02:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I don't know how many of you folks peruse youtube a lot recently, but I have noticed a lot of full length feature films being put up on youtube in HD, but the funny thing is, they use some form of program (in copying them, that makes the running time shorter, (so, if you had a 90 minute film, it shortens it to 80 minutes, without the actual film being sped up and the voices sounding funny).

In some ways, I actually like watching these videos as, sometimes a complaint that many have had of films from (generally) the 1960 on back, is that they seem too slow paced for todays audiences, but with this software copying development, it allows the films to flow a lot quicker, story-wise and all.

Can someone explain how this computer program works? I wonder if this is done so that people who put up these videos can perhaps keep from dealing with direct copyright infringement and since the studios have the original run-time films in they're collection, they assume that folks will still want the films at they're original run-time.

Your thoughts, ladies and gentleman?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2015 08:28 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
I use a pretty nifty program for video editing(filmora).... and the process does speed up the video, or slow down depending on if you shorten or lengthen the video time...but from 90 minutes to an 80 minute film is only a 11% difference and in this case any speech changes would be unnoticeable really...
I think if you too a 1hr-15min film and reduced to 1 hr it would be noticeable....Someone else may know something else on this, but i thought i'd start the reel rollin [Smile]
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 12, 2015 02:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Video software I use allows this to happen by altering the Tempo and pitch of the original ripped digital media as desired.

This software is intended for Video DJ's but works just as well with feature length digital media and allows you to tailor the footage to suit any projectors running speed so long as the running speed of the projector remains relatively stable.

Voice pitch remains unchanged with the pitch locked down and only the Tempo of the footage is altered by adjusting the relevant pitch/tempo slider on the hardware controller.

The intended use of such facilities, is to allow a track to be beat matched to another (either slower or faster bpm) without changing the pitch of the vocals so no "Pinky & Perky" effect.

Shaving 11% off the total running time would be easily achieved using this software.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is new 'pirate' films you are talking about I think people are trying to disguise the films enough that Hollywood studio software doesn't detect them. The new Terminator Genisys film has been on YouTube. It is in Spanish dub and the image is reframed. I saw Interstellar also appeared and seemed to have sections faster or odd-looking. If you have software that looks for a particular frame, ( that hasn't appeared in promos or trailers, etc, then you have a way to search for pirate copies, and yes, search for videos the exact length of the film. But the films are still out there despite the studios efforts. A curiosity to see but poor viewing really and I can't support the piracy of films.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 12, 2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst possible way to ever view a film. Not for the life of me can I understand why anyone would ever wish to view any feature length film in this manner given the low price now of viewing any film on a digital format.

Yes I get that these are films that have just been released in many cases but surely a 6 month maximum wait is worth it rather than seeing heads appearing in front of the pirate copy screen picture or worse still, have the film missing bits or playing fast if you cannot make the flicks! [Mad]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2015 06:05 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write digital video editing software - and its not trivial

Im not sure what you are describing Osi but I would like to have a before and after AVI then I could tell you what they did.

I can tell you that its easy to muck around with the video but if you start dickering with the audio you will get some pretty nasty artifacts very quickly. Altering the sample rate or changing the speed/pitch involves fourier processing and lots of fancy and not so fun details .. point being I doubt they would go to any serious efforts like that to save a few bytes of storage which is very cheap. Again Id like to see a before and after to better quantify what the differences are but I find it very odd that they would arbitrarily 'alter' the uploaded content.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I knew how to describe it, but I think the program must take out a few frames per second in the copying process. That's the only thing that makes sense.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC