8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » mounted 'film cells'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mounted 'film cells'
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about some of these film frames mounted up and sold. Ones like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-70mm-Fil m-Originals-02847-Galactic-Empire-Edition-DEATH-STAR-/331613463862?hash=item4d35b3e536

They seem to have some sort of 'official status' with a serial number, etc, but on this one, where are the magnetic sound tracks? Is it just the mounting that is covering them or is it a later DTS print, but still, would like to know before purchase. Lots of 35mm out there too, what are members opinion on these?

What film format are these JURASSIC PARK frames supposed to be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jurassic-Park-Framed-35mm-Mounted-Film-Cells-10-Cell-Display-memorabilia-/321789546577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aec26d051

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2015 06:52 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me they look like short of a hoax: they are no film gauge whatsoever: they are simply what the ebayer claims them to be: cells with reproductions of images from the movie; how they are obtained is another matter but the ones shown are definitely not 35 mm film frames. As regards authenticity, the description is too generic to vouch for any relevance to it. Maybe some one might try and request further info from the auctioneer than that he enetered.

--------------------
Maurizio

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 02:42 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys

I personally always thought that those "framed" 35mm frames were always a bit of a con. I reckon a few quid were made out of em though over the last 10 -15 years or so though.

Mark

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 04:36 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very often they are snipped form trailers, so often anamorphic movies will have masked images, etc.

That Star Wars frame is just hopeless; no sign of any soundtrack. Unless Lucas released a Ken 70mm silent version!!!

Certainly not from any kind of release print.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 26, 2015 05:19 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Butchering a 35mm should be illegal ... I want a 35mm Battlestar Galactica and they sell these frames too on eBay. Hate it and now go and cry a bit

:-)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 26, 2015 05:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-kind of the way I feel when I see an Elmo sound projector stuffed and mounted as a telecine machine!

My nephew bought me a mounted frame from one of our family's favorite movies a few years ago.

I'm kind of hard to buy for because I really don't need very much, so this was a really smart gift for him to buy since it means something to me for several reasons.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 05:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the previous comments. Con/hoax/rip-off, call it what you like, that is what they are, but there must be gullible people out there that buy this stuff thinking that it is some kind of 'investment'. Great for people with more money than sense.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one time, there was a chain of shopping mall video stores called Suncoast Video here in the US.of.A that sold these, or something very similar.

I remember holding one in my hand years ago and noticing that there was no soundtrack, indicating that the frame was not from a release print. These so called collectables were clearly licensed. I have no idea if they were provided by the studio from a silent work print or created especially for this purpose.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC