8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Project the Right Image

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Project the Right Image
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this short with Graham Stark and Frank Williams...
Project the Right Image

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2015 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brought out on Super 8 by Derann Steve.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 19, 2015 07:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the super 8 version.

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2015 07:41 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film to watch [Smile] someone should release a DVD or Blu-ray with lots of these short "how to" films from the golden age of film and projectors!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 04:26 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know this was available on Super 8. I like British Films a lot, and Graham Stark is one of those 'cosy' actors that appear in films, you know like Michael Ripper and George Woodbridge...

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great little movie and I have it on super 8. Graham Stark was a great mate of Peter Sellers which is why you will see him in quite a few of his films, including the Pink Panthers.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2015 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great little film: it was one of the ones still on my "to get" list when Derann closed down.

Now it will have to stay on my "To grab" list until one pops up used.

The list is getting shorter, but I still have a long way to go.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 08:23 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Project the Right Image' was made by the Churches Television Centre which evolved from Religious Films and was financed by Lord Rank. The film was intended to teach the Churches the right way to project film for audiences. Lord Rank ran a scheme for supplying Rank Aldis 16mm projectors at low cost to Methodist Churches with films from Religious Films catalogue, which was quite extensive. The 16mm version has a section on using a projector correctly. I don't know if this appears in the Super 8mm version but I removed it from my 16mm print and run it as a comedy. Great little film

--------------------
Dave

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember many years ago our local Church asked me to run a film for them, it was 16mm and was called I think, 'The Cross and the Switch-blade',I think Pat Boone was in it, was it a Billy Graham film?...

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 09:30 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious. Thanx for posting.
the electrical at 3:00 mark gave me heart failure.
Is this how they used to do it in England before plugs were invented? Wow. Electrocution city. [Smile]
Great stuff.
Matt
ps: The 'vicar' sounds like the teacher from the 1st(OG) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt he's the Vicar from 'Dads Army'...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 12:03 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I've seen that. Great film and one that I'm definitely going to look out for.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 04:42 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, 'Cross and the Switchblade' wasn't a Billy Graham film but was made by Dick Ross associates. Ross did have connections with BGEA association. In the U.K. an Evangelistic association bought the rights to the film and rented it out under tight conditions.My copy has a lovely purple reel 2. Reel one is perfect. Someday I'll replace it!!! When 15 amp wiring was widely available I've seen folk do exactly what you see in the film: stick wires into the plug with matchsticks. I was talking to my friend who used to look after 400+ Rank Aldis machines for the Methodist Church and also dispatched the films and he was astonished that copies of 'Project the Right Image' were on Super 8. 'We never gave permission for that' he said. Deranns Bro. Simmonds asked if he could borrow my copy of 'The Robe' for making prints. My copy was new from the President of 20th Century Fox supplied under strict rules so I said no. He obviously could see opportunities!!!

--------------------
Dave

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 05:31 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its great to have PTRI on Super 8 but will have to check my copy again as I dont remember the Derann version having the animation at the start and also starts with BBC films which I thought it was.

UPDATE: Just checked it and it has BBC on the leader then goes strait to the main titles. Obviously Derek edited it down to fit onto a 200ft reel.

Graham S

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:20 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He did.

If you listen you'll notice that the 10 basic commandments have some missing in the super 8 version.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 08:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Super 8 release but I would love to find a fully complete 16mm copy. I expect there might still be one or two forgotten in church cupboards somewhere!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2015 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago the women at our church did a projected DVD show upstairs while I did Super-8 shorts for the kids downstairs in the youth room.

-due to technical difficulties I wound up doing BOTH shows at once! (It's OK, I was younger then!)

Still, I didn't have the problems this guy did!

It was interesting: They had the VP zoomed out to fill about 75% of the screen area. I told them to roll the cart back until they hit the masking and the crowd literally said "Ohhhh!!!".

-I guess I must have learned something somewhere along the line!

This is about as close as I will ever get to running a multiplex, and it is close enough!

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it amazes me how few folk seem to understand that a picture will get bigger or smaller in relation to it's position to the screen. And when you tell them they think you're pretty bright!!!

--------------------
Dave

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 23, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a certain amount of Art to what we do (sometimes we call it "showmanship").

-most people can do this badly. I guess that's the whole point of this film.

This is the same thing from the Military point of view:

Project the Right Image (That's an ORDER, Mister!)

The difference is if I had a print of PTRI I'd actually show it to a general audience.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC