8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dismaland

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dismaland
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 03:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most people will have knowledge of the work of Bristol street artist, Banksy. Today marks the opening of his Bemusement Park in the seaside town of Weston-super-Mare. It's called "Dismaland".

It is housed in a derelict outdoor swimming pool site on Weston's sea front and is already attracting tremendous interest.

Click below for details.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/banksys-dismaland-how-tickets-everything-6285232

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 03:15 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

Myself and my wife and daughter were in Weston on Tuesday and went up past the old lido and didn't know what was going on - my daughter thought it might have been a funfair as all we could see we're the tops of what looked liked rides. Then low and behold there was a feature on BBC news - it looks kind of wacky but interesting.

David

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks weirdly depressing but no doubt will be a hit because of the Banksy connection. How long before Disney sue them??

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 08:07 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to Weston in years. Is it true that the scene where Sabu releases the Genie from the bottle in Korda's "The Thief Of Baghdad" was filmed on the beach there?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 08:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
The scenes were filmed at Sennen Cove in Cornwall.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice, I'd wrongly believed it was Weston for years.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It now appears that there are thousands of potential customers who are really dismal as the ticket web-site has crashed. Most users complaining that the site has been badly designed, it features a calendar where its dates cannot be clicked.

For the next few days it's only personal application to a porta-cabin near the venue on the sea-front. Some hopefuls had started queuing late this afternoon in the hope of getting in tomorrow.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 02:51 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it's very good but I prefer something Happy. Rather than dismal. The weather this summer has made the whole country dismal land without paying for it.

[Wink]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This even hit the news in Australia, Maurice!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 06:34 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belgian television has just shown a subject about it on the news.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The venue where Dismaland is currently on show is a derelict open-air swimming pool called The Tropicana, but formally known as The Pool. I have fond memories of The Pool as I lived in Weston-super-Mare for over twenty years in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s.

The house where I lived was quite near and I spent many a happy time there even though the water was not heated.

In the summer tourist season The Pool featured Aqua Shows. If you have seen any of Esther Williams' MGM musicals you will know what I mean. Beauty contests called Modern Venus were a favourite feature, the weekly "knock-out" contests were judged by entertainers who were in Weston for the summer season. For the prodigious final a judge usually was from the weekly variety show at the Bristol Hippodrome, some 20 miles away.

I can still see and hear the judge, or should I say, judges, for the final on Thursday 17th July 1947 who were at the Hippodrome for the week 14-19 July, none other than Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy who were at that time touring the country.

They were announced, and to "The Dance Of The Cuckoos" they slowly walked around between the seated area and the swimming pool. They waved as the crowd cheered. They finally got down to the business in hand, choosing the final winning girl, but clowning all the time.

At the request of John King who had a 16mm film library in Brighton they visited his premises and were photographed holding up a 16mm 800ft spool of film. The next annual edition of the film hire catalogue showed the pic with the words "Laurel & Hardly with Mr. John King during their recent visit to the library". For many years each succeeding annual catalogue carried the same words, the word "recent" was never deleted!

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 02:42 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great little story Maurice. Did you manage to get autographs??

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 24, 2015 03:01 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually believe this place is getting too much free advertising on news channels, as child growing up, Weston Super mare was a great place for families, unfortunately, (and this is also a view of many people living there as well), the place has now succumbed to thousands of immigrants and druggies as well as late nite drunks. The last time i went a few years ago with my own family was unfortunately the last. Such a shame.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 03:55 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tom I think that this is the fate of many of our seaside resorts these days, but I have to say that on my latest visit to Weston a couple of years ago, I was very impressed with the results of the Lottery funding. The Esplanade is fantastic and the Pier is now a marvellous attraction. They have packed so much in there. A youngsters paradise. I didn't see any of the negatives you mention, but it was only a day visit.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I suggest you come and see Southend. Lovely frontage that's been well looked after. Can't offer anything like Dismaland but our Adventure Island is one of the top attractions with a roller coaster they designed and built themselves.

--------------------
Dave

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 02:10 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
I remember Southend from my childhood when my family visited friends who lived in Westcliffe on Sea. I couldn't wait to go to the Kursal which was the Funfair at the time. Is it still there? I have many happy memories of Southend.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Kursal is long gone. I was there a few years ago and there was just the entrance building still standing. IIRC with housing behind.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadley,Terry, a decline in visitor numbers which had begun in the sixty's accelerated until, by the 70's the Kursaal had declined into what a Councillor described as 'a tatty Victorian funfair'. A decision to close it was taken in 1973. The land was sold off for housing and only the main entrance retained (still called the Kursaal). A considerable amount has been spent on the front and we love walking from there down to Rossi's for an ice-cream. Reading this back makes me think I should be working for the Council publicity organisation!!!

--------------------
Dave

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 03:36 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I visited Weston was on my Dad's sailing boat about 20 years ago. To our surprise, a guy was waterskiing past the pier naked! I expect it was some sort of dare. Never a dull moment in Weston.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely sight I'm sure for you Jonathon... not! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2015 03:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Dismaland finally closed it doors yesterday, it was announced that since it opened on 21st August it had welcomed over 150,000 paying visitors.
Once dismantled, all its fixtures will be sent to the Calais refugee camp to build shelters.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 28, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! I could think of a thousand better uses to have put that money to.
The ones at Calais are not fleeing wars there economic migrants.
My Brother returning on a coach saw it all for himself , clearly the BBC are not showing all of there behaviour, disgraceful, there in a safe country now why do they need to come here?
Hungry got it right.
oops, sore subject i wont reply to any more on this. [Wink]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 28, 2015 06:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weston does have a scooter rally each July plus a brill scooter museum but other than that we always seem to struggle to find something to do when we have visited.

I sympathise with you Tom.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC