8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 11, 2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Rough Guide To South America On A Budget" says (the phrase between () is mine): "To describe their beauty and power is tall order, but for starters cast out any ideas that Iguaçu (this comment is in the "Brazil" section, hence the name in portugese) is some kind of Niagara Falls transplated South of the equator-compared with Iguaçu, Niagara is a ripple". That is more than probably exagerated but the site definitely worths a visit (two visits to be precise as there are two different parts, one in Brazil and one in Argentine).
 -
One of this animal stoled the bread I had in my bag. I have been Lucky because the bag was on the floor (while I was taking a picture) and the coati (that's the name of the monster) could have make my bag Fallen in the water (my precious 9,5 camera was in it !).
 -
More peaceful, two buterflies (they were millions !) intersted by my camera.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 11, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really impressed by Niagara Falls. I visited in 1998 and was able to experience the "behind the falls" walk tour. A great memory. I might have to travel to Argentina for work within a year or two, hoping I can go and see the Iguazu falls (anyone remembers in which Roger Moore Bond film they are seen?)
Wow, Dominique, you found a Debrie MB15 in Paraguay... Awesome!

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 17, 2016 08:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This 1970's Zenith Console Stereo is located below my screen in my screening room. It is a really nice looking piece, and being early American furniture style, it has not become dated in appearance.
It has not been run in quite a while, so today I opened the lid and polished everything up and removed the platter and lubed the motor and disc changer. I placed an LP record on the turntable at it ran beautifully and sounded fantastic.
Just as film is so much more intimate than DVD'S, so are LP'S compared to CD's. There really is something special about pulling that record out of its sleeve and placing it on the turntable and lowering the stylus.

-

-

This particular stereo is one of the Zenith Allegro series, manufactured in the USA at a time when American electronics companies held their heads high, firm in the knowledge that they designed and made the best products in the world. And their employees felt the same way. At Zenith the corporate logo said " the quality goes in before the name goes on", and this stereo is a perfect testament to that philosophy. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will be running just fine 50 years from now.
You have to weep when you realize how this country has lost its iconic companies like Zenith and RCA.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2016 07:30 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am completely with you on this. Older technology does not mean bad technology. Technology built in the time when quality meant something is everlasting. I still prefer playing an LP to playing a CD.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2016 11:38 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, my wife and I have two RCA Victor stereo consoles from the early 1960's. we're always listening to the radio and records with them. They sound great and we have over 1,000 records to listen to, jazz, rock, blues, soul, soundtracks, Latin... Does yours have an 8 track?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 19, 2016 08:57 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bryan,
Yes my console also has the 8-track player, which still works perfectly, although I have only a few tapes to play in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ-DKXWVtiA

[ April 19, 2016, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 23, 2016 07:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week I've been preparing my veggie garden for planting. Seems like it takes me longer to do this each year. I tend to take lots of breaks [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 23, 2016 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh!

-the first really nice day of Spring!

You'd better walk to Home Depot on a day like today because you sure aren't going to find a parking space there!

THIS will be the year we get vegetables from the garden without the birds and the bugs destroying them and just this ONCE the lawn will be more grass than weeds!

Godspeed, Janice!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 23, 2016 10:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you have a good handle on your yard this year Steve. I love this time of year and it's so nice to be able to enjoy the outdoors in our own back yards isn't it. I plan on lighting up the barbie and watching some films on the patio.

--------------------
Janice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2016 01:02 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Janice [Cool] that's what life is about [Smile]

Nothing startling today, however I did admire the work going on outside our house over the last few days, they have a neat machine for pouring the concrete.

Today back down at the Heritage park running the 35mm digest "Dolphin Tale" not bad bit of 20 minute editing I must say
[Wink] also got some Super 8 stuff out as well, nice afternoon chatting to folk.
 -

-

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 25, 2016 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds like you have a good handle on your yard this year Steve.
-Nawww!

It's really more of a lament! When we bought the house we had a 400 square foot vegetable garden out there and we planted corn and zucchini and tomatoes: we were young!

...managed to grow two green peppers last year (squirrel got the third!)

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 01:00 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to London this week-end. If one of our members lost an Eumig camera in 1963 in the Tube,
 -
go there :
 -
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 08:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the last few weeks the weather has been really good for this time of year, but hope to get some rain soon as things are getting a bit dry. The school term break has just finished and had the grandkids round, so here are a couple of things we did.
 -
 -
Oh! if you look at the background you will see a Eumig projector and some "Star Wars" films on display. I have told Conner not to tell his dad, that I have donated his stuff to this museum...hope he does not want it back....
 -
 -
While we were in the center of the city looking at the fountain, a group of tourists turned up, and very politely asked if Conner could pose with them...so he did...nice people.
 -
spent that afternoon wandering around the gardens etc

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 06, 2016 09:55 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week-end, Brussels will, following what the weather said, be the hotest capital in Europe. So I decided to try to put on my balcony the hamac I brought back from Paraguay. And I succeded.
 -
The colours (white, blue, red) are the colours of the Paragayan flag which has the specifity to be one of the two flags in the world that have a different design on each side.
 -
Isn't life fantastic ?

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2016 11:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Dominique [Smile]

Well if there if ever was a sad photo regarding a family disposing of one man lifetime of home movies and photos, this has to be it [Frown] I understand two very full "red" suitcases mostly of home movies were dropped of at the heritage park last year. The retirement home was clearing out all this stuff as the person whom all this belonged to had passed away, they simply wanted to get rid of it. I really cant understand why his family let it come here [Frown] it might be that without a projector they simply did not want it...I don't know.

Anyway there is some interesting historical footage that's been captured, so will see how I get on sorting it out, but its going to take a long while due to the vast quantity of donated film this place has...where do you start?...sad really.
 -

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2016 09:13 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, this is sad. However, the silver lining is that someone - namely you - cares about it. When the time comes for me to shed my mortal coil, I hope my family or someone like you cares enough to save my celluloid history.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2016 09:53 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique...your picture reminds me of Fred Flintstone on a Sunday afternoon....aahhh....looks good!

Bill [Smile]

[ May 25, 2016, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing how to relax and actually doing it can be very challenging. Dominique your hammock photo is quite inspiring! [Smile] Enjoy [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 09, 2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have time to post this yesterday...but I spent Mother's Day with my son Darrin at AT&T Park in San Francisco. The Giants lost the game...but no worries... the day was beautiful anyway.

-

--------------------
Janice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2016 01:28 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

[ May 25, 2016, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 13, 2016 10:47 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just back from the Beam Tunnel!

We're in a maintenance shutdown for a couple of weeks, so we can work down in the innards of our synchrotron light source.

-

Under normal operations the spot I was standing in to take the picture is bathed in high intensity X-rays. The camera I was using would certainly survive the experience, but not the guy operating it!

Here's what you are looking at: buried down inside all that stuff there is a stainless steel pipe about an inch across which is operating at very high vacuum. There is a very energetic beam of electrons which is very highly focused.

If you started walking in either direction, after a half mile you would find yourself exactly where you started. It looks exactly the same throughout the tunnel. It's very easy to get lost when you are new here!

Most of the objects on those girders are specialized electromagnets. The large blue ones bend the beam so it goes in a circle, the others focus it and keep it aligned at the center of the beam pipe. Each magnet has a power supply. There are more than 800 magnets. I'm a power supply engineer...life is good!

On a warm day like today, the tunnel is HOT! This is not because somebody left the thermostat turned up. The walls of this area are at least 3 feet of poured concrete for shielding and vibration isolation. The concrete is about 5 years old, still curing, and still releasing heat into that confined space.

Those of you who are worried (-or delighted) I'm giving away national secrets, it's OK. Nothing here is secret at all, as a matter of fact many countries around the world have a machine like this, it's just that at least for a while it is the newest and the most advanced.

Basically what this does is provide high intensity X-rays for imaging. It's useful for medical research, semiconductor research, metallurgy and many other fields requiring very advanced X-ray imaging. A few years ago the machine this one replaced verified the authenticity of a Van Gogh painting and this one should be able to watch a virus attack a cell in real time.

NSLS II Introduction

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 26, 2016 01:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An hotel in Paris found another use for 16 mm spools :-)
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a neat place Dominique. I like the film leader at the bottom of the doorway [Smile]

[ May 26, 2016, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 27, 2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lower Lake Today

-

Well, the ice is gone and the lily pads are back with a vengeance! Today is one of those spring days I dream about all winter: the April rains have passed and the temperature is warm.

So far this year my canoe is still hanging up in the garage.

-let's hope I do something about that before the ice is back again!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 30, 2016 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent some time this afternoon relining my front brakes:

-

I actually hate doing brakes. They are dirty, you have to work on them either sitting on the ground or sitting on a stool bent in half.

-Also, if you mess them up, you may (you know…) die.

-but you see I had no choice: I’m up for inspection and I had an eighth inch of brake lining left. The minimum in New York State happens also to be an eighth of an inch, and no mechanic with a mortgage and a week at Disney World hanging out on his credit card for the last three years is going to let something like this slide!

The factor of five times difference in cost if a mechanic does it vs. me is kind of a clincher here!

It was kind of a daunting project: you see, this is my “new” car. It has 53,000 miles on it and my old one had over 200,000, so it’s practically mint in original packaging as I measure these things!

Because it’s “new” I have never actually worked on it before. I don’t have the service book, and as a bonus It hasn’t even been published yet!

-so I have no procedures, no torque specs, no “don’t do this or you will lose a wheel” kinds of helpful hints.

I did what we all do these days: I went out on the ‘net. There is a lot out there: YouTube videos, helpful websites and the occasional pop up ad. from attorneys specializing in motor vehicle accidents. There was this one extremely detailed website that actually said “Sit in the driver’s seat and step on the brake pedal.” (…really?)

Exactly what makes a torque spec off a website that trustworthy? This isn’t really coming straight from Honda and for all I know it’s being typed into a website by some guy who has a refrigerator full of severed heads and if I follow it I’ll wind up wrapped around a tree! I actually compared several specs I found on different websites and only used them because they agreed with each other!

-having an actual, bound book in your hands is just much more reassuring: at least if you wind up flipped on your roof you’ll have somebody to sue!

In the end, all went well. I guess to a large extent disk brakes are disk brakes and they aren’t that different among each other. Naturally those first few times I used them I made sure I wasn’t pointed at anything close enough to hit if all hell broke loose, but it stopped quickly, quietly and straight!

Next Weekend: the rear brakes.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC