8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2016 05:48 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A neighbor gave me some 16mm films that he had purchased from a local library years ago. One of them had this card in it. It's interesting that they wanted the attendance count, I wonder what they did with that information.

-

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 11, 2016 12:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I finished the front fence for Yvonne, and apart from painting it white...she wanted a white picket fence.. later on when its warmer nearer the summer.. that's it.. all done [Smile]

Our road repairs are now finished, but still a huge amount of underground work being carried out elsewhere, they have done a great job.

...June 2011
 -
....Today 2016
 -
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 11, 2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What has a air compressor and a projector have in common?

Answer...A nice clean projector [Smile] ...very handy, everyone should have one [Wink]
 -
 -
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That air compressor looks older than your projector. Also, probably a bit more CFM/PSI than you need to clean a projector.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 11, 2016 08:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bit!! (to the latter) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 01:57 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem if you use one of these chaps [Wink]

I bought that compressor second hand in 1982, although its true vintage I guess it would be older than me, and I am due to retire very soon. [Cool] ...re-painted a car with it back then...very handy for blasting any projector. [Wink]
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2016 09:57 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll probably still out last compressors that are built today if you take care of it, they don't make them like they used to.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Bryan

Its kept in the garage and every time when I finish using it I open all the drains releasing the air and any water contamination, and leave them open until I come to use the compressor again. Its built like a tank and one very heavy unit.

One thing I really like about it, is when I was painting a car. The compressor had no problem keeping up a high volume rate of air supply to the spray gun.

Like so much machinery built years ago, at the time it would have been expensive to buy, but were built to last.

Yvonne first car, I re-painted it "long ago" with some old aircraft paint using that compressor. Yvonne took the photo of her car and me admiring it [Smile]
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 12, 2016 06:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Staying the weekend with my sister in Jackson. She and her husband live on a ranch in a custom designed home built into a hill. Their goats graze on the roof.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 07:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Crikey, that house is as long as our street janice!
That's about 60 houses worth of land where I come from. [Big Grin] [Wink]

We just get Burglars on our roofs around here.
20 miles if you want to see a goat, unless it's curried [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2016 06:57 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat house Janice - I bet its nice and cool in there!

Graham - very cool car, what kind is it? Do you still have it?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 13, 2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's brilliant Janice [Cool]

Michael

Sold it long ago [Frown] the Morris Minor was one of the most popular British cars ever built. Here in NZ back in the 1960s through to the early 70s cars were very expensive to buy and mostly British. I did own two Morris Minors in Scotland, one a 1957 "full screen", I sold to an American serviceman attached to the nearby "Holy Loch" nuclear submarine base in the late 1960s.

I do remember how he paid me a visit to the garage that I worked at, after owning it a couple of years, stating the Morris Minor had been one of the best cars he had ever owned.

I still have the Service Manual for the one we owned here in NZ, here is a scan of it, to those long ago years [Smile]
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 14, 2016 07:36 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and here are the goats on the roof.

-

-

[ August 21, 2016, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 17, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, It’s Maintenance Day here out on the Frontiers of Science,

-and I’m looking for trouble!

This doesn’t mean I plan on walking into a biker bar and ordering a drink with an umbrella in it or leaving the seat up late at night: I am literally looking for things going wrong so they can be dealt with before very expensive equipment gets damaged and days (sometimes weeks) are lost in repairs.

I work at a very recently built synchrotron light source. It’s one of those huge machines that shoots a particle beam around a circle for scientific research. (If it was Starbucks and The Gap instead of scientists and equipment, it would be about the size of a middling shopping mall.) My machine isn’t one of those that crashes protons into each other trying to discover the origins of the Universe. That one is actually about a mile away. Mine makes really high power, finely focused X-rays so material scientists can look at semiconductor crystals for integrated circuits and solar panels and medical researchers can see viruses swimming around inside living cells and see DNA up close and personal.

There aren’t many facilities like this in the world. The chance to use it brings people from all over the globe and they can be working at any hour of the day or night to have their turn at it. If the beam goes down halfway through their shot at getting a Nobel Prize, they get really, really upset!

-so every couple of months we have planned shutdowns, to do new construction, to install upgrades, and most of all to prevent unplanned shutdowns.

This week I’ve been doing thermal imaging on beam magnets.

This is what the one out in the lobby (for tour groups) looks like:

-

The stainless steel pipe with the electron beam inside goes through the hole in middle. Each beam magnet has a power supply powering all those electromagnet coils and the magnetic field squishes the beam just enough to keep it focused. There are something close to a thousand magnets of various flavors around our half-mile ring, each doing its specialized job. It is all operated by a central computerized controller. It actually (sort-of) worked the first day they tried it, which will never cease to amaze me! (It’s my first ray-gun…)

My job this week has been to walk around the huge concrete tube this lives inside with a thermal camera and look for magnets that are overheating. (They actually turn the beam OFF first...)

I CAUGHT one yesterday!

-

-NOT cool!

The cooling water to the bottom coils was blocked, and the top coils got all the flow (see it?)

That’s what’s great about this technology: not only can you tell something isn’t right, you can even start to understand why.

So the guy from the water group will come by and clear tubing and readjust flows and maybe one day you’ll have a better cell phone a few days sooner than otherwise because somebody had better semiconductors to work with.

(You’re welcome!)

[ August 17, 2016, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 18, 2016 08:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice photo Janice [Smile]

Steve that was very interesting story... amazing stuff.

I was at the Heritage Park the other day hoping to find a going three bladed 16mm projector that I could borrow, as I seem to be getting asked more, about running old 16mm home movies. Although I have used my two bladed projector of late, I really need a three bladed to reduce the flicker.

Anyway while I was there looking for a projector I came across another box of home movies under a pile of stuff. I must make the time to at the very least, start to go through all this stuff ...sad really to come across all these films that nobody seems to want.
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 18, 2016 11:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That box of forgotten films is truly a sad sight Graham. If those are some family's personal movies let's hope that they were at least transferred to digital and all those memories weren't lost.

--------------------
Janice

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2016 09:39 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orphan home movies are a very sad thing. As someone who transferred home movies for a living, I take pride in knowing that my efforts help families to see their family heritage. The thought of locking them away in a shoebox in the closet (or worse, tossing them into the dust bin) makes me cringe. Film is organic. It needs to be projected to breathe life into it. Home movies are family history - a living and breathing history.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 19, 2016 08:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting for the sun to go down. I'm having an outdoor screening for just myself tonight [Smile]

-

The feature was The Goodbye Girl .

-

[ August 19, 2016, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something I would do if I could. Might sound nutty to a lot of people but I don't care.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 20, 2016 09:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have company tonight. Invited my neighbors for another outdoor film viewing. Going to show Baby Boom (1987).

-

[ August 21, 2016, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2016 10:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, We’re on vacation!

Where did we go? Actually, we kind of didn’t!

-Let me explain!

Something a great many people from New York share in common is we go everywhere else but New York. I’ve been to Red Square, I’ve been to Vienna, I’ve been across the Golden Gate Bridge and down Lombard Street. I’ve been to the Hofbrau House twice, and had a great time too! Given the beer they have there in the volume it’s served in I can’t remember a lot about it…but I’ve been!

New York was there long before I was born and has been there my whole life! Anytime I get around to it, it will be waiting, so what’s the hurry?!

-so as a result it’s something a lot of us never get around to doing.

So this time around we decided to keep local and do what the tourists do!

Today was a full circumnavigation of Manhattan Island aboard the Circle Line.

-

We headed South in the Hudson River and passed by Ellis Island.

-

Like a great many Americans, I am descended from people who first stepped on American soil here. My grandfather stepped off the boat here in 1927. Knowing the man as I do it seems someone was asleep at the switch that day!

(I KID, I KID!!!...he probably just ducked under the rope!)

I of course haven't ever been there!

As it has basically since the last Ice Age, the Staten Island Ferry eternally heads back and forth! It's the least nautical looking vessel ever take to the waves: kind of an immense subway car with a propeller!

-

-and of course we passed by this lady. Typical of folks from ‘round these parts, this is as close as I’ve ever gotten! Maybe someday when somebody visits from out of town I’ll actually get there!

-

Soon we passed the southern tip of Manhattan and turned north into the East River.

-

My native Long Island is to the right, and Manhattan is to the left.

-

We still have a long way to go, and we will continue!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 21, 2016 02:20 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a great vacation Steve [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 21, 2016 02:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy Steve! It's a magical vibrant city. Once visited, never forgotten!

London next year perhaps? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 03:09 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And coincide it with the BFCC [Big Grin]

Graham S

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2016 04:01 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant photos there Janice and Steve [Cool] [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC