8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice - I have had the pleasure of standing on that exact spot and doing the exact pose!........ although my motive was to re-enact a classic photo taken on that spot of my hero John Lennon many years before!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 21, 2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all!

So you see, Janice is from San Francisco and SHE’S been to the Statue of Liberty! Melvin is from the UK and so has he! I was born here, but haven’t been there even once, and I didn’t buy the T-shirt either! If somebody from here wore an “I Love New York” T-shirt their friends would say “Yeah, well if you love it so much, stop griping about your taxes and stop threatening to move to South Carolina!”

NOTE to Janice: I enjoyed San Francisco and hope to again!

Northbound up the East River

Here we meet one of the classic suspension bridges in the history of the world: the Brooklyn Bridge. Long Island, my home, was actually anywhere from rural to downright wilderness before it was built: forests, rivers, deer: the whole deal, even bears, moose and wolves if you look back far enough. In the 1800s, a stubborn little colony of people had houses on the Brooklyn side and commuted to jobs in Manhattan by boat every day, weather and tides allowing (-not always, especially before the age of steam.). Then they built the Bridge and the modern American style suburb sprung up.

-

-

The Brooklyn Bridge has a younger neighbor, the Manhattan Bridge. I can’t help but feel the Manhattan Bridge has to cope with some kind of inferiority complex! It does exactly the same job and just as well, but have you ever heard of the Manhattan Bridge? Has anybody ever made fun of somebody who is extremely gullible by offering to “sell them the Manhattan Bridge”? Has anybody asked "-and if they dared you to jump off the Manhattan Bridge, would you?!".

-No, I say!

-

You have to admire the Golden Gate Bridge in this respect: it works alone! (The San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge is really TWO bridges and everybody knows that’s just showing off!)

This of course is the Empire State Building. I’ve been there….once!

-

(It’s very tall, but you probably already know that!)

Then we went past the United Nations:

-

When I was in second year Spanish in High School, We did a field trip to the UN. We even stood in the visitor’s balcony and saw the General Assembly! They weren’t Generally Assembling anything that day, though!

(-What a great room to show movies!)

There was a band of showers running East to West across Manhattan while we were there, so being that we went around the Island we were actually rained on twice by the same storm!

Here it is again!

(You would think with what we paid for these tickets, they’d figure out some way to prevent this!)

-

-Tell you what. Let’s wait until it stops and then we’ll continue up the Harlem River!

(Stay dry, Stay tuned!)

[ August 21, 2016, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 06:42 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these NYC pics! I lived in Boston in the mid 90's, then Manhattan for about about a year and a half. Being an outsider who grew up in the midwest, I was a perpetual tourist! Always loved big cities, and ended up living on a farm in Ohio....oh well, maybe when the kids are grown....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2016 07:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Harlem River and mobile Marble Hill!

The Harlem River is kind of what makes Manhattan what it is. It is bound on two sides by large bodies of water, the Hudson and East Rivers. The Harlem is what makes Manhattan an Island unto itself and not just a peninsula along with the Bronx. It was once a shallow tidal creek that people waded across, but since it’s a shortcut between the East and the Hudson, it’s been dredged beyond all recognition and rerouted in interesting ways.

After a few minutes the rain stopped, and we turned west into the Harlem River.

-

Yankee Stadium on our right! (Never been there either: grew up a Mets fan!)

-

Here’s the Broadway Bridge. Every other bridge across the Harlem River goes from Manhattan to the Bronx, but this one goes from Manhattan to Manhattan, because it goes to Marble Hill, which is in Manhattan even though it’s in the Bronx.

-

You see, Marble Hill started out in Manhattan, but it moved to the Bronx: not just the people, but the buildings and even the land…even though it’s legally still in Manhattan, nobody wanted to move to the Bronx and none of it actually moved an inch!

I’m sorry…is this confusing? Let me start over…

One day long before yours or mine, Marble Hill was a bump in the northern end of Manhattan, and the Harlem river made a tight loop around it. Ships navigating the river kept crashing into each other so they decided to cut a canal straight across the bottom. Now Marble hill was its own island, with a stagnant marsh to the North, which they eventually filled in. People in the Bronx thought they’d gained a neighborhood, but the Marble Hillsters decided they were staying Manhattanites! Then the Bronx Borough President literally climbed to the highest point in Marble Hill, planted the Bronx flag, and declared his dominion to the locals!

–but in the end it was settled the way everything is settled in New York: they hired lawyers and lobbyists! Not very long ago the New York Legislature proclaimed Marble Hill legally part of Manhattan and everyone thought we were done with this!

-YET…

When The Phone Company introduced the 718 area code in the Bronx the people in Marble Hill decided they wanted to keep Manhattan’s 212. It was decided that rewiring the place would be such a production they had to accept the Bronx’s 718, because even the law of the land needs to yield to the laws of electronics!

Kind of a nice water tower…it’s in Manhattan…Let’s hope it stays there!

-

We had come far, all the way to the very northernmost point of Manhattan, it was time to turn south into the Hudson and head for the dock,

-but not today!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 23, 2016 03:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were now in the home stretch!

I’m kind of grateful the Harlem River is there. If not for that the Circle Line would need to go through Canada!

(-we’d need to pack a lunch!)

-But we’re back in the Hudson River now.

These are the Palisades:

-

This is a dramatic rock cliff, over a hundred feet tall (-just scope out that flag pole for scale…), which stretches along the New Jersey shore of the Hudson River for many miles. When Billy Joel sings about life going on beyond the Palisades, this is exactly what he is talking about!

-Although most probably haven’t bought Cadillacs and are still exactly where they are supposed to be. (Can anyone from New Jersey please verify?)

Ahead is the George Washington Bridge. Interstate 95 crosses the Hudson here: 300 miles one way you’re in Maine, 900 miles the other you’re in Florida. Interstate 80 begins nearby. It’s 3,000 miles West to the Bay Bridge and San Francisco.

-

-

There’s a new Tom Hanks movie about the pilot that made what the airlines like to call a…”water landing” in the Hudson. We are now getting into where the last tense minutes of that flight occurred.

Here we make our final turn to dock and debark! Right next door is the US Navy Aircraft Carrier Intrepid, living out her honorable retirement as a museum of naval aviation.

-

Since we were still in Tourist Mode we rifled through the brochures for the area attractions. Steven found a nice one for Wildwood, New Jersey!

-

-Unlike a great many of these places, I’ve been there many times! (…Have you?)

PS:

-It turns out that there is a Hofbrau Haus in New York, too (-It’s a little smaller than the one in Munich!), so we decided to treat ourselves for dinner that night!

-

Auf wiedersehen!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 25, 2016 11:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant photos there Steve, thanks for posting them [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 26, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Graham!

This was a little different than most of these I do. A lot of the time I'm somewhere and snap a picture with my cellphone and maybe even after the fact decide to post it here. This one was intentional from the start and I actually dusted off my digital still camera so I'd have a real mechanical zoom lens and not that hokey deal where I spread my fingers on the cellphone screen to zoom.

Something I've noticed is it's not just film that's going by the wayside but cameras themselves. The average person taking pictures stopped with the instamatic and camcorder years ago and just whips out their phone or tablet now.

It's really handy having a camera in my pocket everywhere I go, but I find the mechanics of it make getting a good shot harder and give me way too many pictures with my fingers in them!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 26, 2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what you need Steve. guaranteed no fingers in shot! [Big Grin] [Wink]

-

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 26, 2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's a camera!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 30, 2016 05:39 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, since you decided to "visit" New York as a tourist, is there a specific reason why you didn't go to the Statue Of The Liberty (like a two hours queue) ?
I'm back from my second Holiday (Egypt and Israël) and came across some familiar things :
 -
A 9.5 projector in a camera shop window in Tel Aviv (when did that machine arrive in this city ?)
 -
A much bigger piece in an antique shop in Jaffa (in the famous flea market area).
 -
Same area. The price of this projector was over 1.000 euros !
Two pictures taken in a window of a camera shop that makes digital transfert :
 -
 -
Sadly, it was difficult to take pictures (because of the light reflection) from the window, I could not take the old tv set.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2016 07:27 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the big reason I've never been to the Statue is I've never had a moment of decision: "This is the day I will visit the Statue of Liberty". It's not something you just do on the spur of the moment: it's on its own island and you need to get tickets for the boat that goes over there.

I guess if we were really ambitious we could have gone after the Hofbrau Haus, but that liter plus those stairs may have proven...eventful!

(I'll have to say, I enjoyed the train ride home more than usual!)

I'm pretty sure some out of town relatives will show up someday and decide to go there (My relatives from Germany have been to the real Hofbrau Haus many, many times: We'd go to the Statue and save Hofbrau until we can do it again in Munich!) and that will be the day I finally get there!

--------------------

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Can anyone from New Jersey please verify?

Yes, everything in NJ is exactly where it belongs, however, contrary to what Billy Joel thinks, we no longer all drive Cadillac, most of us drive Ferraris, Maseratis and Lamborghinis.

The NJ side of the George Washington Bridge land in the town of Fort Lee, where the motion picture business got started here in the USA. At one time there were over 20 major studios there, before they all moved sunny California. The Fort Lee Film Commission has a web site dedicated to the towns motion picture history.

Further into New Jersey, in the town of West Orange, the National Park Service runs the Edison National Laboratories, where you can tour the research buildings where Edison's team invented the light bulb, sound recording and motion pictures.

From the 1890's up until the early 1970's, Palisades Amusement Park sat on the edge of the cliffs. They had a rollercoaster with the big drop that ended right at the edge of the cliffs before the track bent sharply to the right. It was quite a thrill going down that first drop.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 02, 2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're still on vacation, My wife went back to the grind on Monday and my son and I are just staying local...doing stuff!

We did a 16 mile bike ride on Monday down to the beach. It peaked at 90 degrees that day, so either I'm in excellent health or perhaps dead and in extreme denial! (Always, ALWAYS bring water! We each downed a bottle and refilled it twice.)

We got a neat little propane stove last week to improve our outdoor adventures. It weighs about 2 pounds and is smaller than a dinner plate. It runs over two hours on the small propane bottles.

This morning we decided to give it a trial run out on the patio and enjoy breakfast outdoors too!

-

For those of you who know Steven in real life: he's starting High School next week, and no: I don't understand how that happened either!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 04, 2016 08:05 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to Steven !

This morning I attended a local Cine Fair, close to Brussels. I was surprised that it had not been advertised on the net as it had been for the previous editions but arriving there I was told that the organisator died so it was a little bit sad (and of course there were less people than usual).
 -
 -
A projector in action.
 -
Private projection for this young lady...
 -
Jean-Christophe, member of this forum. He is famous for re-recording soundtracks (mainly to have a French sound).
 -
A picture for the posterity...

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2016 08:59 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for those pics Dominique. Makes me hunger for the upcoming Ealing and Harpenden coming soon.

I take it that film was Jaws. [Big Grin]

Graham s

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 10, 2016 10:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight: Minor League Baseball with the Long Island Ducks!

-

We have a local minor league baseball team. About once a year we head towards the South Shore and go to a game. There is a lot of tradition here: over the years we’ve gone to easily ten of their games, and haven’t seen them win even once!

I’ll have to say, at least they are dependable. They had a great first inning and took a commanding lead. It looked like they were going to walk away with it, but bless their hearts, somehow they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again!

-

…Oh well, at least the fireworks after their humiliating (and almost inevitable) defeat were pretty good!

-

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Springy Dog on a Stick!

So, we have a little Canada Goose problem out at the Lab. You see: Canada Geese are supposed to summer way up North and winter way down South.

-but many of ours don’t!

A couple of decades back, some Geese who were way ahead of their time decided Long Island was the place to be a Goose! You can’t half blame them: our weather is usually moderate, there are plenty of wetlands for them to paddle about in, and there are all these lawns. You see, Canada Geese love lawns: all those blades of grass, kind of a Canada Goose buffet! There are also very few predators here.

So, Goose Traditionalists are heading up and down the coast every Fall and Spring, but the Modernists stay here year round and fatten themselves eating our lawns and (…ummm) fertilizing them too!

This gets nasty sometimes. Suffice it to say the lawns out here have plenty of nitrogen in the soil, but unfortunately so our sidewalks, parking lots and sometimes even the carpeting in the buildings too.

Something had to be done! This is a place for Geeks, not Geese!

So I’m sure some task force did all sorts of research, maybe even some computer simulations, and this is what they came up with:

-

-a springy dog on a stick!

Now, seriously folks! –You’re talking about people who could have produced drones with computer guided lasers or some hypersonic…death beam!

-and the best they could come up with is a springy dog on a stick?!!

It would be absolutely scandalous other than the fact that springy dogs on sticks are doing a pretty respectable job scaring the geese away!

-

-Who’da thought?

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 14, 2016 09:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give them time Steve. One day you will come out and they will be sitting on it. [Wink]

Last night I ran an old 16mm film I found down at the heritage park called "This Auckland" NFU 13 minutes made in 1967. Much to my surprise, it showed the old "SS Australis" at Auckland heading North once again across the Pacific on route to the UK. That ship would come and go from Auckland around every three months or so on her round the world journeys, from the 1960s-1977.
Here are a couple of screen shots of a time when folk were in not so much of a hurry.
 -
She must have clocked up many miles at sea on that UK...Australia....New Zealand....run over those years.
 -
here is a photo taken before the sea finally took her
 -

[ September 26, 2016, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 16, 2016 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Physics Building, State University of New York at Stony Brook

-

So there I was again last night! I’m signed up for an adult-ed. course, and it just happened to land…there!

Back in a time before time, when I was still a teenager, I sat down in a lecture hall in this building for Physics 101, my very first college course. I was 18 years old and had done a summer at an electronics company doing production test. It was September, 1980 and I was a brand new college student, -an engineering major no less.

Now, this wasn’t college like in the movies: there were no cheerleaders or hay-rides. We didn’t burn our rival school in effigy at the pep-rally because we didn’t have a football team, or a pep rally, or time to make an effigy either! This was work! This was homework and projects and exams without Mom or Dad watching over my shoulder in a place where the teachers not only didn’t care if I passed or not, they may not even have known my name! We studied Science and Math that must have been invented by people on some kind of drugs and generally lost contact with our youth during semesters. After I graduated, my Dad bought me a beer and I found I'd lost my taste for it since I finished high school. I got it back quickly, but it goes to show how little I got out in those years!

I learned lots of stuff, but most of all I grew up! (The Boss doesn’t want to hear the dog ate your homework!)

A lot of water has passed under my bridge since the first time I walked up that path. It’s strange to stand there with gray in my temples and a family and a full time job off-campus.

-but trust me, being an adult rules! Your life is a lot more your own.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 25, 2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the school term break at the moment. This morning I woke to find Connor who is staying with us at the moment in his Onesie, ....it really put a [Smile] on my face.
 -
[Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 25, 2016 09:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So cute Graham. I just love that age [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 26, 2016 10:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice [Smile]

Today we went to the "Air Force Museum" and being the school holidays they had a search the museum competition for the kids. They had to find certain objects with numbers on them, and once found match the letter attached to finally make a word...Connor word was "transmit" both he and a lot of other kids were all over the place doing this challenge, with a small prize in the end if they get it right...and he did [Smile]
 -
In front of the Mustang...one very impressive aircraft.
 -
looking through the sights...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 28, 2016 12:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another museum today that was hosting "Air New Zealand 75 years" Lot of interactive things for the kids to do and interesting stuff for the adults as well.

This is a mock up interior of a "Solent Flying boat" complete with engine noise and video outside the cabin window...just like the real thing....you can just see the engine turning out the window.
 -
With the school holidays at the moment and the weather not so great, the museums have been a popular choice with families.
The kids can also dress up...Captain Connor.. [Smile]
 -
 -
I was watching some old Super8 home movies a few weeks "as screen shot below". I took some film when my parents came out on a Air New Zealand DC10 back in 1977. The DC10 would fly to LA then a British Airways flight crew would take over the same DC10 and continue the LA London leg, the same on its return journey.
 -

[ September 28, 2016, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 03, 2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT the...?

So I came into work this morning, and there was this...thing constructed out in the lobby...

-

-a bunch of "wet floor" signs arrayed around an empty recycle bin.

-kind of a tiny, plastic Stonehenge!

Several of us stood together and theorized what it might mean. Some said that since the building is pretty new the roof still leaks here and there, but there wasn't any rainwater in evidence anywhere.

We are affiliated with a lot of universities. My own theory is some psychology department set this thing up to see how many people they could deceive into taking a picture of it and posting it on the internet with some wild theory about exactly what it really means.

(.......oh!)

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2016 04:44 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the high cost of processing Super 8 film, I've got it in my head that I will process my own. First step is to practice using 35mm still photos. I took my daughter out yesterday to use up a roll of B&W film. We found some very interesting stuff.

Unfortunately I didn't read the developer instructions closely enough and didn't realize that 50°C was the mixing temp, not the developing temp.

Oops.

Also getting the film on the developing reel was a challenge in the dark. I accidentally put some creases in the film at the beginning of the roll. They ended up looking like little moon slivers.

In spite of the problems, we did get images. Just not good ones. Unfortunately, some would have really been great photos and will be hard to duplicate. The mural below is nearly done and I have no idea what their schedule is for working on it.

-

As they say, baby steps...

Once I've got B&W figured out, then I'll try some color. After that I'll track down a lomo tank and try some B&W Super 8.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC