8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 10:00 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoying the (almost) full moon.

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 07:49 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
beautiful Tom! So close you can see the cheese! I always wished to be able to take pictures like that. I only have a canon Ti1 with a 55-200 lens. I wish i knew how to take good pics like this, mine are small and blurry for the moon. Nice job! I can take good bird and flower pics though [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 09:12 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Matt. I cheated and used a telescope. [Wink]

I realized after I posted them that the telescope reverses the images so those are probably backwards, but I'm still happy with them.

Used telescopes are pretty cheap and so are the camera adaptors but I also got a pretty good picture using a 400mm telephoto lens from the 70's. Many of those lenses used a "T" mount which could used with any camera via an inexpensive adaptor. They're manual focus and aperture settings, however. If you're interested take a look at http://shopgoodwill.com Lots of old inexpensive lenses available there. It is a bit of gamble but I think I paid $20 for that 400mm lens including shipping (probably $8.00 for the lens and $12 for shipping).

Here's a picture from last month with the 400mm:

-

You really need a tripod and a remote shutter release helps.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2016 09:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

I guess that's why Tycho Crater seems to be in the northern hemisphere!

(I was wondering about that!)

Nice shots!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 09:59 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and I forgot a couple of key things when it comes to taking pictures of the moon without a telescope. The moon is a case where modern technology gets in the way. The moon is bright but relatively small compared to the size of the rest of the image your camera is trying to capture. Since the overall amount of light entering your camera is small, your camera sets the exposure accordingly and badly overexposes the moon. And because the shutter speed will be slow due to the low light, everything is blurry.

Going to manual settings can compensate for that and I'd bet you could get a very good picture of the moon with your 200mm zoom. There are lots of web sites that will give you tips. You might have heard of the "sunny 16" rule for daylight photography. There is also a "looney 11" rule for the moon:
  • With ISO 100 film / setting in the camera, one sets the aperture to f/11 and the shutter speed to 1/100 or 1/125 second (on some cameras 1/125 second is the available setting nearest to 1/100 second).
  • With ISO 200 film / setting and aperture at f/11, set shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/250.
  • With ISO 400 film / setting and aperture at f/11, set shutter speed to 1/400 or 1/500.
Something that I learned is that if you see a photo that shows the moon over a city skyline and you can clearly see both lights of the buildings AND the details in the moon, it is most likely two pictures combined. It is almost impossible to get the exposure right for both the moon and a night-time cityscape in one shot.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for that info! I will try it on my camera next time we have a nice clear moon!!
So you used a telescope..very nice!
I am a bit of an enthusiast of things skyward...here is my humble set-up, but i would love to take pics of what i see with it one day! Once you get the weights perfect, it moves smooth as silk almost complete circle if needed....you can't hold these by hand, to shaky...
 -
 -

Big honkin Binoculars, i know, i know...but i like them [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2016 12:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long Island Expressway eastbound, roughly 8:15 AM

This is a Lamborghini Aventador (Base price: $399,500 US. Cup holders and floor mats cost extra!).

Research reveals it belongs to a local divorce attorney.

-

Those considering getting engaged during the upcoming Holiday Season should ponder the full meaning of this picture and choose wisely!

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cripes Matt, those are the biggest binoculars I've ever seen !

But I've got good news for you. Though I do have a real camera mount for my telescope, my son wanted to be able to take pictures with his cell phone, so we got one of these and it also works with binoculars:

A smartphone - telescope adaptor

I admit that in spite of the good reviews, I was skeptical that something that costs under $20 could work very well, but those pictures I posted used that very adaptor. It does take a little bit of patience to align the smartphone camera lens with the eyepiece, but it's really not that hard and the results are good. I believe there are two different sizes for different sized eyepieces and the eyepieces on those binoculars look pretty big. But as far as phones go, it was adjustable enough to accommodate both an iPhone 5S (smallish) and a 6 plus (largish).

Oh and Steve: Clearly I'm in the wrong field. That car is a hazard. The glare off it could blind someone.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was literally a mirror surface.

Clearly this is someone who isn't big on "incognito"!

Meanwhile back at the Lab!

They assigned me a mountain bike so I'd have wheels even when I carpool, so I took advantage of the nice cool Fall day during lunch.

-

(Beats sitting at my desk playing Solitaire on the computer!)

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 14, 2016 09:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw Tom's moon photo it reminded me of a photo I took of the "Super Moon" in May 2012. I didn't have a telescope like Tom...and Matthew...the lawn lounge chair was a brillant idea [Smile] ). I didn't even have a good still camera or smartphone back then. All I had was this little Kodak HD video camera that did take stills. I attached a little telephoto lens that I bought for $10 on Ebay...and this is what I got.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 11:24 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that little thing worked pretty well Janice !

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2016 09:15 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, thanx again! I am so interested in that adapter!!!

This weekend is the supermoon/hunters moon(lunar eclipse) combo...not sure of the skies, but could be another great venue!!!
Steve, I like how your pic shows the immense height of those trees!! And i am sure they go up alot further beyond...Nice peaceful pic!
Janice, Brilliant! Better than anything i've taken to date.
I just bought a cellphone for my son since he started highschool this year, it is a samsung j3 and my daughter has the galaxy core...both of these should do great for the adapter...I can't wait!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2016 03:33 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, about exposure, you have to remember that the moon is an object in un-obscured sunlight and expose as you would on a bright day. I think you might get away with moon and lit buildings in one shot using a dark split or graduated filter (as used in day for night filming) on the camera or slightly forward in front of it.

[ October 16, 2016, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Brian Fretwell ]

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2016 07:20 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some turkeys walking down my driveway yesterday (ain't too cool, this close to Thanksgiving!)

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2016 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of Turkeys where I work:

-

-and most of 'em are birds! [Wink]

We are about 2500 acres and most of it is forested. So we get all sorts of wildlife: deer, foxes, groundhogs (etc.).

It makes life interesting sometimes. A couple of years ago a motorist spooked a deer and it bolted. It knocked a rider off his bike and slightly injured him. Being that we do high energy research this was labeled an incident and a committee had to convene and investigate.

-the biggest problem they had was the list of "preventative measures"...it was kind of a random event!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2016 08:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you would HOPE...

-we'd have something better to do!

-

As a matter of fact in a house full of homework, and housework, and yardwork, and sometimes even work work, you can be pretty sure of it!

-but I guess we all have our moments!

He actually sat there that way until we took it off...

(-there's just something wrong with this cat!)

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the facial expression, I'd say the cat was planning an appropriate response to this assault on its dignity. I wonder what you will find shredded into little pieces when you get home [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2016 12:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naaaa...

He's really not like that.

-he's never had any dignity!

A lot of people think they're all alike, but that's very untrue. We have this one that's so laid back he doesn't particularly care about stuff like this, then again there's the other one that lived under the couch for a month after we brought him home....

This is where a dog would have an advantage: he'd just eat the bread!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 26, 2016 04:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed a picture : I saw this afternoon two Young people carriying (toward a cinema) a 16 mm projector. But it went fats and the time I realized they were gone-the projector was not light :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 03:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve....your next photo might just be "Revenge of the Putty Tat" [Big Grin]

I got a call from a projectionist I used to work with long ago...would I like a few 35mm trailers he said?, well he turned up with a box... sure you want them all. I said yes that would be great [Roll Eyes] ....I never imagined this lot [Eek!] ...this should keep me busy [Wink]
 -

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2016 06:16 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack O' Melon:

What you get when you try to buy a pumpkin the day before Halloween.

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2016 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's HYSTERICAL!!

(Well done!)

There is no higher affinity in Nature than a cat and a cardboard box!

-

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2016 11:03 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
October in the Pacific Northwest turned out to be the wettest on record, almost 10 inches of rain. The normal is less than 4 inches. That turns out to be great for mushrooms so I set out with my Rolleiflex TLR using a closeup attachment and shot some mushroom photos on Kodak Ektar 100 film.

-

-

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2016 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night on Coney Island

THE original Nathan’s, now 100 years old.

A little neon, a lot of incandescent, arguably the best hot dogs on the planet, inarguably the best French fries on any planet!

-

If you drive down Surf Avenue and can’t find it, it certainly isn’t their fault!

-

Our friend invited us into Brooklyn to celebrate her birthday.

-She decided to eat at the Applebees right across the street. (for SHAME!)

I like your pictures Bryan, especially your use of focus.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2016 11:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we had to turn all the clocks back one hour for daylight savings time. I have never understood the logic of this, and would much prefer the same time all year. But, whatever, I went around the whole house resetting all the clocks and watches. They were all battery operated, undistinguished and uninteresting clocks, until I came to this one:

-

This is a beautiful Ridgeway mechanical clock, with a gorgeous real wooden case, solid brass faceplate, and a mechanism from the Black Forest in Germany. This is a special clock in our family. I bought it one snowy Christmas eve in 1969 as a present for my wife. My 3 year old daughter and I wrapped it up, and we stuck it under the tree for Christmas morning. Come Christmas day and the three of us gathered around the tree to exchange gifts. I handed the wrapped up clock to my wife to unwrap when my daughter proclaimed " It's not a clock mommy" !
Anyway this clock has been with us for 48 years through good days and bad. It is like a member of the family, chiming out the quarter hours and hours, and going into its full ritual at 12 o'clock. I always pause and listen to its new year chime, wondering what we, and the clock, will experience in the coming year. Once I had to take it to a clock shop to repair one of the springs. It was gone for several weeks, as the clock guy was a perfectionist and refused to let me have it until he knew it was all ok. During that time you could feel its lack of presence in the house.

-

I think comparing mechanical clocks to battery clocks is like comparing film projectors to DVD players. Clocks and film projectors both have a beautiful noise associated with their operation, and they are both examples of magnificent mechanical engineering. They have a soul.
Battery clocks and DVD players do their job efficiently, but they are uninteresting and dull devices in comparison with their mechanical ancestors.
This clock will stay in our family for generations, whereas the plastic battery clocks will be long gone and forgotten.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC