8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 06, 2016 11:45 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tought it was only done in Europe and in some Mediterranean countries (out of Europe of course). We changed the time last week-end, here.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daylight Savings time is observed by every US state except Arizona.

One time years ago I was staying in a hotel in Texas and commuting across to our factory in Mexico every morning. I was also talking to our other factory in Tucson, my home office here in New York and the West Coast office in San Diego.

New York is an hour ahead of Texas. Texas is the same as eastern Mexico except Mexico didn't observe DST back then, so I lost an hour when I crossed the River. Tucson is normally an hour behind Texas except they don't observe DST so they were now TWO hours behind. The San Diego office was two hours behind Texas as usual, but now only an hour behind Mexico and the same time as Tucson, who they normally trailed by an hour! (Who's on first?)

I was sitting there troubleshooting a flaky circuit. A guy walked up to me, asked "What time is it?"

-I said "I have NO idea!"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 06, 2016 11:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not surprised [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2016 11:14 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our change back to Standard Time from Daylight Savings Time 2:00AM Sunday.

We get up at 6AM to get our kid fully assembled, fed and installed in the school bus at about 6:35. (I believe he actually wakes up sometime around 7:00, but by then he's almost to school! -"How'd I get HERE?!!")

The last week or so it was dark even at 6:45, but it was light out today until well after the bus rolled down the street.

I'll drive home from work in the dark tonight, but you can't have it all!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 07, 2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you call that "Standard Time" and "Daylight Savings Time" only in the US or also in the UK ? In French, it is "heure d'été" "Summer time" and "heure d'hiver" (Winter time) which is incorrect as the "Winter time" is already in application and we're still in Autumn/Fall.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2016 12:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard time is the same as Winter Time here. Daylight Savings Time is Standard Time plus one hour, so that instead of the summer sun rising at 4:00 AM when it's not much good to anybody, it instead stays up until almost 9:00PM when basically everyone is still awake!

This afternoon will be a rough drive home. We'll have literally thousands of drivers that haven't done a lot of night time driving all making the adjustment at the same time.

On the plus side: we've all had the sun in our faces for about two weeks now: darkness will be an improvement.

-get's interesting from here: the first snow is coming sometime!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 07, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, 9 pm ! In Belgium, the days ends around 10:30 pm in the Summer (which is only nice the days you don't project films :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2016 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are actually pretty far South by European standards. If you jumped in the Atlantic here and started swimming due East, you would end up on a beach in Northern Portugal. (If you were a very STRONG swimmer!)

-so our days don't ever get as long, or as short as northern European ones do.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 07, 2016 08:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in California on Standard time it starts getting dark at 5pm. I'm generally a late riser...so my daylight times during this part of the year are very limited. I agree Steve...this changing of the clock is worthless. I vote to keep DST all year long [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 01:21 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combining hobbies:

-

This contraption might look like an ordinary roaster oven, but in reality it is a computer controlled tank for maintaining the temperature of chemicals used for DIY color film processing.

-

Truthfully, nothing this complicated is needed for DYI color processing, lots of people just use insulated coolers to keep the water temp close or a plain old sink. But it was an excuse to play with electronics and give my son a little more exposure to programming. There's a temperature sensor and a relay which are used to turn the power to the roaster on and off.

The software isn't done. What we did was really simplistic and tends to keep the water a bit too warm. The heating element doesn't cool off right away and will keep heating the water up even though it is shut off.

There are some "PID" algorithms I could use to refine the software, but I don't know if I will take it that far. We'll see. Anyway, it's been fun even though I haven't actually tried to develop any color film yet.

Oh, and there's also a small pump from an aquarium in there to circulate the water to help keep the temperature more uniform. It's like a miniature jacuzzi. [Smile]

[ November 08, 2016, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 12:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's brilliant Tom [Cool]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 04:58 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Director John Carpenter (The Fog, Halloween...) was in town tonight, performing themes from most of his movies, as well as cuts from his two recent non-film related albums. The 2800 seats theatre was packed, it really felt like a rock concert.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 09:20 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

I'm Jealous! I wanted to attend his show in NYC, but I wasn't able to =(

Tom,

What a great invention! I usually just use (as you described) a cooler to maintain temp. while developing. As a matter of fact, here is a recently developed picture with my newly acquired Widelux!

-

Quite grainy, but it was 16 year old expired Gold 100 shot for test purposes

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 12, 2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I spent a bit of time getting things ready for a 35mm Scope screening "English subtitles". I have only ever watched this movie on DVD but this time round its on film. Its an amazing and well told story...gripping stuff.
 -
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 14, 2016 08:29 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon: a beautiful Fall day at a local orchard

-

-

The local cider starts coming in in June, but it just tastes better this time of the year for some undefined reason.

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2016 05:23 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan: I had to lookup what a widelux was, - pretty cool! And not bad for 16 year old film.

Graham: Is that projector in your house?

Steve: Fabulous. I like old stuff like that tractor. But whenever I see something like that, my first thought is: "What would it take to get that working again?"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 14, 2016 05:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking exactly that, Tom!

This is basically a bunch of heavy castings and steel assemblies. Most things could be brought back to new with a good sandblasting and painting.

A new fuel tank will save you from tragedy later on!

After that, you rebuild the engine, gearbox and steering gear and you are looking good.

I think this is a Ford tractor: they were common as dirt at one time.

-should be easy to find parts!

I fixed up an old car. I actually came to consider it a collection of parts. This is just an easier collection to complete.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 14, 2016 09:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom all the film stuff is out in the garage [Smile]

Steve.

Many years ago we used to stop over at a camp site that had an old tractor for anyone to play on, here are a couple photos of Steven on it, taken at various stages of him growing up [Roll Eyes] well sort of [Wink]
 -
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 21, 2016 01:57 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some views from Blackpool

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 21, 2016 04:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful pics Dom [Smile]

I received my Castle Films t-shirt today.
[Cool]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 22, 2016 12:34 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw, Janice. Is that a special order you made from a picture or is it a catalogued (if that's English) design ?

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 22, 2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two of those T-shirts at our house.

-have to be sure which one I'm putting on!

My son's fits me a little....TIGHT!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 22, 2016 04:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you buy it from, Steve ?

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 22, 2016 09:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought ours from Jay Schwartz. He's a regular on 16mmFilmTalk.

He also has a really nice Blackhawk shirt.

He makes these shirts in limited printings, so I can't promise he has any right now, but I can ask if you'd like.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 23, 2016 02:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great, Steve. I guess he has no website.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC