8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2017 10:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel like talking about film today!

-HERETIC!!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear Steve. [Frown]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2017 10:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's big world out there, Andrew.

-pays to roll up the screen and experience it now and then!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 10:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha ha LMFAO Steve! [Big Grin] [Wink]

I've just done enough International jet setting for one month thanks very much Steve. [Wink]

I'm just off to Facebook to show someone how not to modify an Agfa LS! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TctayGNzbTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ4lvUJ39fE

Trainspotting 2, here we come! [Wink]

[ February 14, 2017, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 11:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is not my photo but does sum things up that is going on here at the moment. The fires have been going on for days now and this afternoon school run took me near "but not to close" where all this is happening.

To top it off and around the same time I was picking the kids up at school, there was a short but major power cut through out the city and that made driving interesting to say the least. Sadly one of the helicopter pilots involved in fighting the fires was killed yesterday. I have never seen anything like it. The people fighting this fire really have a tough job on there hands trying to control it.
 -
This evening
 -
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 15, 2017 04:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That is most saddening to read of Graham, nobody should lose their lives trying to make a living. [Frown] [Frown]

I hope the fire can be quelled asap.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 15, 2017 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy for we northern hemisphere folk to forget that for better or for worse, it's summer for you there.

We had a drought summer about 20 years ago. We had sustained forest fires for a couple of weeks at a time, all the parks closed down, there were restrictions on watering gardens. Our fire departments were all dispatching crews and trucks out East to try to keep the forest fires out of communities. The air hung heavy and after a while you just felt sick.

I remember one morning I woke up and heard rain outside. It was the first rain in weeks and it was steady all day. By that night the fires were all out. The local farms and vineyards lost the season and there were burned trees for a couple of miles on each side of the road going out East for several years.

I hope that rain is coming for you too, Graham.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 15, 2017 12:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a photo someone took last night. I understand they dont have control of the fire and there is little chance of rain in the near future...anyway will see what today brings as it was to dangerous to use helicopters last night.
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2017 12:19 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on the cleanup after a massive California wildfire a few years ago. One thing the was shocking for me was the extent of the damage. Most homes were burned down to the foundation. If you think a fire proof safe or building your home out of cement block and metal will give you any protection think again. Most homes had absolutely nothing to salvage. People I talked to only had time to grab the family and pets and get out. The fire moved incredibly fast and burned extremely hot.

-

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 15, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan?

Was this the one down near San Diego?

I was out there in roughly 2008, a few months after the fire. We drove through areas and saw a house completely intact, and an empty foundation right next door. There were entire neighborhoods like this: mostly there, just missing some of the houses.

It looked more like you'd expect from a tornado than a fire.

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, it was the Butte fire in Calaveras County in 2015. Calaveras County is in the Sierra foothills near Jackson.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 15, 2017 04:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan

You are quite right about the speed and heat from those fires, They can look quite deceiving at times, just some smoke with not a lot happening then "woof" up she goes and its away big time, deadly stuff.

Sad photo in this morning paper of a chap watching his house burn to the ground. One minute its seems ok the next its engulf in flames....gone.

Here are a few more photos.

This gives an idea the intense heat thats created taken from this morning paper.
 -
 -
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, that first photo with the aluminum puddle was a familiar site at the Butte fire. It just shows how hot it was. I'm sure wind is a factor with the fires you're experiencing, that's what drives most of the California fires. I talked to one person that saw the fire from his home a few valleys away (several miles). He went into his garage to work on something, when he came out 30 minutes later it was coming up the hill to his house. He worked on exotic cars, lost a Ferrari a Rolls Royce (Wood Frame) and a few other nice cars.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 17, 2017 12:51 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a shame he lost those cars Bryan. Sadly the above photo also is about a keen car collector who lost the lot I think he had around ten classic cars none of which were insured.

This last photo is remarkable, in the sense that while fires had raged all around this house, it was saved by the efforts of the fire fighters.
 -
Today its been raining what a relief for those dealing with it.

Thinking back to the old greek tub "SS Australis" that I sailed in around the world back the 1970s. I always remember the greek crew doing fire drill and being told that the greatest risk to this ship at sea was "fire"...they took those drills very serious indeed.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 17, 2017 05:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to have a nice rustic house out in the woods, maybe on a lake shore (-front porch, big stone fireplace...). Then I remember that fire is part of life in forests.

-maybe it's better just to rent one for a week every few summers.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 17, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How true Steve..

Came across this photo this morning as a thank you to the helicopter pilots from the pupils of Halswell School [Cool]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 20, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captree Boat Basin

We have a great tradition in my family. Every winter since was a little kid, when the weather first becomes a little less than Arctic, we go down to the boat basin at Captree State Park.

-

This is where our local fishing fleet docks. These aren’t commercial trawlers headed out into the Atlantic after tuna, but party boats taking paying customers out into the shallows after fluke and flounder.

Now, let’s ponder sport fishing: consider for example going out for Marlin. There you sit strapped into a chair bolted to the deck. The rod is held in a harness strapped around your waist because the action would be too heavy for you to hold it in your hands. There you take your stand: locked in mortal combat with this spectacular beast. Hundreds of pounds of muscle threatening to break your line, you can’t ever reel it in all at once: the reel screams as you let the line run out, and someone has to pour water over it or it will overheat.

If after hours and hours of this your own endurance holds out, you are rewarded with a spectacular trophy and great stories of a day you will remember the rest of your life.

Flounder Fishing IS…not in the least like this!

Very typically you spend the day standing at the rail with maybe fifty others on the same boat. You use this stubby little rod which for some reason Dad never explained you hold with the reel on top. You put two hooks on a spreader with sinkers and chopped up worms of some unknown species on the hooks.

There you stand by the hour: bouncing this odd assembly off the bottom, maybe eight feet under the keel.

If you are really lucky, you may catch this:

-

-now I’m asking you: if you saw something like this wash up on your beach, wouldn’t you suspect some kind of toxic spill in the area? –but no: that’s what they’re SUPPOSED to look like!

Don’t get me wrong: heading out for Flounder is a great local tradition and generations of us have done it. My grandfather in particular did it all the time. To me it’s just one of those things made much better by beer!

-

Our tradition is a little different. My Dad was always of the opinion that there was nothing that ailed you a little salt air and clam chowder couldn’t cure. So every year just around now, when the snow is just starting to melt we head down to Captree, walk along the docks and then stop in at the café for lunch.

-it turns out even if all you are doing is getting a little fresh air and a change of scenery, Dad was right!

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 23, 2017 10:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant photos Steve, fish done in beer batter is nice, have you tried it?

Sadly this photo appeared yesterday in the paper of the death of the Kingston train driver that was featured in the 1975 film "A Train for Christmas". He had quite a battle on his hands trying the get the present owner to sell at over the years, at a lower price in a attempt to save it from the elements, as its now at the stage where it may no longer be viable. Although there has always been a certain amount of interest in someone buying it, the asking price was always to high. Its a shame that the Kingston Flier has come to this, its future is very uncertain.

Driver Russell Glendirining...
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 23, 2017 10:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad about Russ Glendinning, Graham. Sometimes it takes a champion to make the difference between a lost cause and a surprise success, and right now it seems the Flyer needs a champion.

Somewhere on the 'net there is an interview with him (I found it just once and never again!) about his experiences running the train while they were filming "A Train for Christmas."

Ever the trainman, he said "We would have been on time that day if it wasn't for the #$%@in' film crew!".

-and the beer battered fish is nice, too!

I remember those days of going out for flounder with Dad and my uncle from down on the South Shore. It was barely 6AM and the sun hung low over Ocean Parkway all the way out to Captree. We'd spend our day with those poles..."up, down, up, down..." Every so often somebody would pull up a crab or a sea robin. Sometimes it would actually be a flounder...looking it's usual deformed self. Later on we got back to the house and Dad would fillet them for dinner. Being about twelve I thought cleaning the fish was disgusting, but the knife was kind of cool!

One time somebody succeeded in hoisting up a sand shark and it chased everybody on deck around the boat a couple of times before a mate heaved it over the rail.

-buy a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish...

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 26, 2017 06:24 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carnaval in Belgium.

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 02, 2017 01:53 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes Dominique [Eek!] does that not scare the kids? [Smile]

Has anyone ever seen the 1996 film "The Phantom" I haven't, at the moment I am giving it lots and lots of fresh air after this print has been stored on rusty reels in a tin can all these years, which have gone to the scrap. Apart from being warped like Brainstorm was, its in excellent condition no visible scratches etc, so for the time being as its summer the reels are getting a bit of fresh air in the hope the musty smell will go.

I am pretty sure the Ernemann will hold focus, even though its a bit warped as Brainstorm was which was in much worse condition, and ran through the Ernie fine....
 -
Lastly I am bringing back to like..hopefully.. an old and rather negleted Elmo ST180 I was given..it does run fine and everthing works just never been cleaned...EVER [Eek!] [Smile]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 06, 2017 11:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's going on?!!!

-

-I just cleaned the gate and there's another HAIR in it! [Wink]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 03:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, a can of compressed air will clear cat hair from the film gate AND the cat from the table, all in one shot! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 06, 2017 07:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah!

-but we're talking about a very large, fairly dopey(1) cat!

He'd either stand there with his ears blowing straight back or run for it and knock at least one machine off the table!

Notes:

(1)Ref: this thread, October 26th, 2016

(It has a footnote, so it must be true!)

Actually he's a good soul, kind of like you used genetic engineering to stuff a golden retriever inside a cat skin!

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 10:05 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Steve's cat deserve's kinder treatment Paul, but I must confess, I like the way you think. [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC