8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 18, 2017 05:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my Matthew...that fence has seen better days. Yes...don't do anything until the weather improves. My fence fell down in January while I was on a trip to SoCal. What a nice welcome home to see the fence leaning like it's taking a nap. [Eek!]

Hopefully it won't be too long before you can do the repairs. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 10:22 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Job on the fence Janice! It looks great.
Too bad they can't come to Hamilton and do mine [Smile] Nice job!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 19, 2017 08:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A (small) film fair was held today in Belgium.

-

-

Forum members Nick Vermeirsch and Bruno Heughebaert.

-

-

Forum member Jean-Christopbe De Block promoting the next film fair (in September) as he will be one of the two new organisators.

-

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 19, 2017 10:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the???...

-

This isn't some spectacular second system sound setup I whipped up in the shop. It isn't some exotic Panasonic/Elmo Hybrid Universal Projection System either.

-No, this is diplomacy in three dimensions.

I have kind of a reputation among other film collectors, especially the married ones, for staying set up most of the time on the dining room table. At CineSea I sometimes get knowing nods of respect, someone once said "I know you, you're that guy..."! Truth be told, it's not really a testament to my Lordship of the Household (if any actually exists in the first place...) but more to the basic kindness of my wife in supporting this whole thing. (She wants me to be happy!)

She also bought me a VP for Christmas, and that actually sits on a low table closer to the screen, but the player has to sit on the table to connect the audio into my mixer. (It was the longest RCA stereo cable I had...)

I do have a conscience! I felt kind of bad claiming a couple more square feet of table, so at least until I can get the cabling right for the player to live up with the VP, we are going vertical! (The added Elmo-altitude was easily corrected for.)

Tonight we watched "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Ricardo Montalban" from DVD with a supporting program of Super-8 shorts.

(Somehow Spock's death doesn't have the same poignancy when you know they gave themselves an escape clause!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 20, 2017 01:20 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is for all those train enthusiasts who are to busy using there cell phones, instead of getting out of the road....quickly [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/V-Cb9x70gYQ

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently returned from working on the cleanup of the Standing Rock protest camps in North Dakota. Most of the camps were in a flood plain and had to be cleaned before the spring thaw made a mess of things. I brought two cameras, an Olympus OM-2n which I used for color film and a Leica IIIa that I used for Black and White film. The color film was sent to a lab for processing and the Black and White film was developed in Caffenol C-H (rs).

I focused most of my photos on the tribal cultural stuff. This is a sweat lodge at the Sacred Stone camp. Shot on Ilford Delta 100.
 -

This sculpture is called "Not Afraid to Look". It was built by an artist during the protest. It is looking directly at the site where the pipeline is being tunneled under the Missouri river.
 -

Prayer ties and ribbon on a tree along the Cannonball River. A prayer ties is a cloth pouch of tobacco tied with string. There are usually several strung together, each color represents a different type of prayer. Tobacco is considered a powerful medicine by Native American tribes. The Souix traditionally used a tobacco called kinnikinnick which consisted of tree bark and shrub leaves.
 -

This was the last Tipi standing at the Oceti Sakowin camp before the tribe carefully took it down and saved the canvas and poles.
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 03, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to see what happened with the Widescreen Centre (a famous shop in London, they were more specialized these last years in pictures and astronomy but were still selling double 8 stock in the center of the British capital) building as they moved last year.

-

Sad to see this place now empty.

-

They still handle film and it seems that you can get a reversal print from a negative one from them https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/film-department/negative-positive-printing

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 11, 2017 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power Corrupts!

-

It seems we are at peak capacity this week:

• ELMO ST-1200HD
  • ELMO ST-800
  • Bolex SP-80 Special (dedicated for 'Scope)
  • Xenyx four channel audio mixer (line to my Amp is lower right)
  • Panasonic video player
  • Epson video projector
Here's hoping nothing breaks! If I have to solder something, choices will need to be made! [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 12, 2017 06:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different than the models we use, Steve. That's one of the interest of this section.

When I was in London at the beginning of this month, I pictured Big Ben in lego (altough it is European, I assume that this construction plastic bricks are well known in the US as well). I'm not sure if it was a shop or a kind of museum as there was a queue to go Inside. The windows were anyway not easily reached so I could only take one picture.

-

In Paris, however, it is clearly a shop and you can easily go close the constructions.

-

L'arc de triomphe.

-

Notre-Dame de Paris

-

The screen allows you to take yourself in picture and see how you would look in lego.

-

A bakkery.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 12, 2017 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being the Dad of a 14 year old boy, I know all about Lego!

One thing I can tell you for absolutely certain is they hurt like crazy when you step on them with bare feet!

-seriously: Lego sells their own brand of slippers, and in adult sizes too! This way they make money causing a problem and then solving it too!

(I'm not kidding!)

We took Steven to Germany when he was nine years old. It turns out there is this entire Lego amusement park west of Munich. We hid the brochure because we didn't want to spend the time there when the Hofbrau Haus was calling us! (He found it later and was kind of cheesed about it too!).

The kid was as good as gold though about two weeks of nature preserves, medieval churches, wineries and bier halls. By the time we got up to Berlin, we decided he deserved a day for himself and we went to this smaller Lego thing they had going on there.

One thing I learned (other than the slippers) is in Germany, it's pronounced "Leego" as in "league", but here it's pronounced "Leggo" as in "Leg".

-still hurts to step on one!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 12, 2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw, Lego sleepers !

Lego is pronounced in French like if the e was a é (like a Spanish e)

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2017 10:53 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No picture because I was too wimpy to take one, plus it was raining and I was late. If I had taken a picture what you'd see is some city maintenance workers dismantling a homeless camp that had sprung up along the route I use to bike to work.

Back in February it was a single tent. A couple more tents and a lot of odds and ends had collected around there by the time I did take a B&W photo (still undeveloped) last week.

Yesterday I noticed that it had expanded to maybe 5 tents and a whole lot of junk. I'm not sure if they were hoping to sell it for scrap or what. And of course garbage service is not part of the living arrangements in that situation so some of it was just plain trash which was blowing around to various other areas nearby.

I have very mixed feelings about the camp being taken down and I'm not sure why it was tolerated for a few months and then suddenly not.

The situation here is that there is no permanent housing available to them. They might be able to spend a night or two indoors at a shelter but then they need to move on to someplace else. Honestly many of them prefer to be outdoors and able to have "a place" to call their own even if it's just a spot under a bridge.

When I've shot all the film and developed it, I will post the picture. I think so many people who vote or make policy do not realize that there as many of these people as there are. We assume that most everyone at minimum is getting taken care of with food and shelter and cringe at the idea of spending more of our tax dollars on social programs.

I used to work for a non-profit research organization that did a homeless survey every few years. Believe it or not, there are some who choose that lifestyle. They'd rather not have a steady job and are content with living like that. But most of them have various problems that prevent them from getting a job that pays a living wage. Others have had bad luck, made bad choices, or both.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 18, 2017 09:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice winter day today..school holidays with grandson... enjoying getting about. [Smile]
 -
 -
Tried out the Panorama setting on Yvonne little digital camera..
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 24, 2017 08:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Traditions!

I've had occasions recently to visit a lot of my old places, just to touch the long past. I walked past my elementary school and my Junior High. I drove past my high school.

Thing is too, I actually go to my undergrad school every week anyway since I'm taking a course this year, so I changed my schedule and got there an hour early and took a walk. First thing I noticed is the people there are a lot younger than when I went there. They must have some special program for high school kids because I don't remember the students there looking that young! (They on the other hand probably wondered whose Dad I was!)

They are tearing down the old Student Union. Dump that it always was, it's about time.

There was something I had to see. If you go to the main Engineering building, up the back steps and down the main hallway, you'll need to look at the doors on your right. There was this tiny bit of vandalism that was there the entire time I was getting my degree. It kind of spoke something to people who were pulling nineteen credits of math and engineering theory created by people who were obviously out of their minds to think of these things. It was a beacon of sympathy for somebody who was still a teenager, but never had a date, or a beer or a day to call their own.

-and I walked up to the door, and thirty years later...there it is!

-

Ahhhhhh, Tradition!

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2017 09:19 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love it !

I wonder if that F has needed some restoration over the years.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 24, 2017 11:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is a State University...

After all this time it's probably been designated Culturally Significant...maybe has a little subsidy for preservation!

If the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences really wanted to put a stop to it, all they'd have to do is get a new sign: "Maintenance Closet" (-or something like that).

-but the people that run the building probably have their own futility!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 26, 2017 11:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some views of Barcelona (Spain)

-

Arc de triomf

-

Sagrada familia

-

This design should remind you Something :-) (yes, I'm crazy enough to picture an empty bottle in the street)

-

Architecture is a main attraction in Barcelone, not always easy to photograph : lack of room, trees, cars, crowd...

-

Typical colours.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 26, 2017 04:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the Calella (see the 9.5 section) meeting, there has been a visit organized in a film preservation and restauration centre. Needeless to say, it was very interesting.

-

-

-

The films are stored in cold rooms.

-

The colour of the box has a meaning : red is for nitrate films. A high safety level is in use for these films to prevent any fire.

-

Mr Otte, a German ninefivers known for reperforing films to this gauge, shows a sample of nine five to one of the young guide.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 11:21 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous photographs of Spain/Barcelone in spite of the challenges Dominique.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 28, 2017 12:30 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting Dominique. Thank you for the pics.

--------------------
Janice

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2017 10:14 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was my first attempt at developing B&W photos using "Caffenol-C" which is a combination of instant coffee, washing soda, and vitamin-C powder. There was some conflicting information about how many minutes to develop using my type of film. I went with the longer recommendation which was probably a mistake. A little too contrasty, but overall I'm happy with how they turned out.

The 2nd picture from the bottom was a homeless camp that had sprung up this winter along my bike route into work. There were 3 tents at the time of this picture. 5 tents a few days later, and then the city came and cleared them out.

The last picture was something I noticed not far from my office building. There were two sets of these little doors glued to random spots along the sidewalk.

-

-

-

-

-

"Caffenol" was developed at the Rochester Institute of Technology if I'm not mistaken. Variations of it have been used for home processing of B&W Super 8 reversal film.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 02, 2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Tom! Love the photos and your developing process. I haven't developed film since I was in college. Caffenol...What a strange combination. Who would have thought. Pictures are terrific...I like high contrast [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 02, 2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible, Tom !

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 02, 2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant photos everyone [Cool]

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. A couple of decades ago, Caffenol was created by people who wanted to find a way to use everyday household chemicals to develop film. They succeeded!

Ironically, that stuff isn't so common in households anymore but luckily for me I was able to find it all in a larger grocery store that I went to on Sunday. Since I can still get Kodak's HC-110 shipped to me and it has a long shelf life, I'm not sure Caffenol is what I'll be using long term or not. One advantage that it does have is that since it's available from the grocery store, I can hide it in our grocery budget rather than using my hobby money.

Hopefully the family accountant will not catch on. [Wink]

And I should thank Evan too since he's posted some very fine B&W photos here and encouraged me to try Caffenol.

[ May 03, 2017, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC