8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 38)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 17, 2019 07:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Paul [Cool]

I am still going through all my old stuff, that for the most part I don't use anymore. They say every tool tells a story [Big Grin] ..here is one, and its to do with my quarter drive socket set.

Way way back in the 60s during my apprenticeship days I needed to buy a quarter drive socket set. They were expensive at the time and hard to come by. However as luck had it, an American from the nearby submarine base needed some car parts, so we made a deal, he gets me a socket set and I would give the parts for his car.

So entered my Snap-On socket set, thanks to the American taxpayer [Wink] When I worked for Ansett Airlines the ratchet packed up, so as Snap-On has a lifetime guarantee the next time the tool guy came to the hanger I spoke to him about it.

To my surprise he said its military and has a "V" on it, which means, it was issued during the Vietnam war. He got all that for this little tool [Eek!] ...anyway because it was a military issue, it was not covered for replacement, so I had to buy a new one.
 -
 -
Its had a huge amount of use since I got it in the late 1960s.

Here is a photo of the base "floating dry dock" where that socket set came from....
 -

Ah! memories.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 28, 2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was time to get "The Polar Express" of the platter and onto reels until next Christmas. [Smile] I must admit projecting the 35mm print looked great, but yesterday I was thinking how much easier it would be is to place a silver disc in a player and press play. [Smile]

Anyway "The Polar Express" was replaced with another action movie I spent the afternoon making up and loading onto the platter that will run later on next month.

from this....

https://youtu.be/7iVcp1xipV4

The Polar Express coming off the platter.
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2019 02:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter always buys me something film related for Christmas. I really hit the jackpot a few years ago when she got me a beautiful condition 1922 Pathe Baby 9,5mm projector. This year one of her presents was a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of classic film posters. When we emptied the pieces on the table I thought that there was no way that my wife and I would be able to put it together, it really looked an overwhelming job. Well a week later and 40 man hours of work this is what it looks like. We framed it yesterday(36 ins x 24ins) and it now adorns the wall of my home cinema:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 30, 2019 02:28 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks terrific Paul! What a nice present [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 30, 2019 09:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up on the roof today cleaning the gutters out YUK...anyway I thought why not take a photo while I am up here...so I did [Big Grin]

Temp 75F/24C
Wind 31km/h
Humidity 70%
Precipitation 0%
[Smile]
 -
 -
[Wink]
https://youtu.be/puM1k-S86nE

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 01, 2019 05:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out photographing the white stuff early this morning.

-

Then collecting over 100 pies for the Church quiz...as you do.

-

And a bit more..
 -

[ February 01, 2019, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 02, 2019 09:27 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belgian tradition (but also followed in other Catholic cultured countries) : on the 2nd February, people make pancakes. You're supposed to hold a coin (better a gold one if you have but less and less people have gold coins so any other should be ok) in your left hand while you throw the pancake to bake the other side with your right hand to give you luck with money all the year long. Pancakes here are different from the Ameican ones. They are lighter. In the US, you use one cup of milk for one cup of flour, while here we use two cups of milk. Unlike in the US, pancakes are not eaten for breakfast.

-

-

You can put marmelade, chocolate pasta, sugar (white or Brown, with or without lemon), butter or whatever you want.

-

Belgian gold coin. Until 1914, gold coins were in circulation in the everyday life. There was a system that was the ancestor of the euro : the Latin Union. Some countries(Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland…) issued coins that were accepted in all the other countries from the union. So you could pay in Italy with a French 20 francs coin for the value of 20 liras for example. The first war ended all this.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 02, 2019 10:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that Dom. My wife is a pancake lover she fills it with fresh fruit making a wrap

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 02, 2019 10:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky, Lee ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 03, 2019 02:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sweet lady.

Something a bit different and my wellbeing project last year during a iffy health spell to keep the old noodle going.

Had a spare Eumig laying around so gradually made up a HD telecine project for my customers not looking for 2K scans, sort of a low cost alternative service and somewhat quicker.
The HD-8 is fully self contained and I have even taken it out and about being as its so portable. Inside the back I fitted a small power supply for the LED, diffuser and the reasonable HD camcorder which can be HDMI into a larger monitor if required.

This will all do Reg 8 Super 8 silent and sound with the sound from the analogue out socket on the front and captured to computer to match up later. Went somewhat over the top perhaps also fitting a little Analogue to Digital audio converter as well in the back.

Here is the old girl.
 -

The results filmed around 1989 as it was captured by the unit.
 -

You can of course view the results on the camera to check after transfer as here.

Quite a versatile little bit of fun don't you think.

[Cool] [Cool]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2019 02:54 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!! That is so cool Lee. What a beautiful unit...you are very talented. Thanks for the pics.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2019 08:39 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Lee.

Dom...I made pancakes this morning and I held a gold plated coin in my hand (it’s all I had) after I saw your post I couldn’t help myself! [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 03, 2019 11:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, Bill [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 03, 2019 02:45 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom you do realise we are now addicted to pancakes 😃 I went in Morristons supremarket and they had sold out today.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 04, 2019 04:03 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glasgow

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 04, 2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
99 High Street, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 1QP

-

Welll...

Here's how the saga of what was Derann finally played out. The original plan was far more elaborate: a mixture of retail and condominium residential space. It looks like it basically came down to a cleanup and a paint job. Somewhere beneath that bland color on the side wall, Mickey Mouse is still there. (It looks like the color they used to paint personal computers!)

It's good to see a vacant business have a sign out on the street again, it's just that the people at the alarm company probably have no idea how special the last tenant was. It's not easy to find a company that actually has a touch of magic to it.

Back in the day I would loved to have dropped in and dealt with them cash across the counter, but the chance never came. Between the time I found out they existed and the time they no longer did I was never local.

Can you imagine the Alarm Folk saying:

"There's some guys out there looking at the building again...".

"It's just film people...they mean no harm."

This grim picture comes to us courtesy of Google Street View. It seems it's OK to use these images as long as you give credit where credit is due and not crop out the "Google".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 06, 2019 02:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Steve. We did make a number of trips down to film the redevelopment also speaking to them on the phone although they were befuddled at my interest in filming the building work. Anyway it was sad but also interesting to go back inside the building filming hard hat and all somewhat reminiscing. The old Derann Christmas tree still in there used at the seasonal open day which have to say did fetch a tear or two and kindly they let me bring home the decorations on it which we put up this year.

-

Had a brain wave that we should have some sort of meet come reunion in Dudley before very long as it would be nice to have and get together chatting over old times also pay our respects to Derek. I'll look into that.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 09, 2019 06:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its turning into service a projector day. [Eek!]

Strip down, clean up, dress the belts, clean the sound head and switches..Job done.

-
 -
 -

Phew

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 11, 2019 09:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a clean out and came across my old British driving licence [Roll Eyes] first issued as a provisional back in 1969, with gaining a full in 1970 [Big Grin]

Its funny what stays with you all these years [Roll Eyes] and still remember having an argument with the examiner for my full. In the end he said...YOU HAVE PASSED....

When I came to NZ in 73 it was only a matter of a written test, so that was easy enough, but I had to do a full practical etc in 2012 for a new licence that included a passenger endorsement required for my new job. With only a 25% pass rate for other drivers, I thought that this time don't argue with the examiner.

To my surprise I passed with no problems "amazing I thought" [Roll Eyes] just as well, as the bus company had the vehicle and all the paper work for me to start work straight away...good timing.

When I worked for "AVIS" back in the 1970s I remember a mechanic complaining that he was on a much lower pay rate than the rest of us. I asked the boss why? and was told that this mechanic had lost his licence due to DIC, so in fact he was lucky to have a job, as without one you are of no use to an employer.

Having a clean licence all those years has to me, been very important.
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 12, 2019 01:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see that Graham

The little Electronic Yelco with its German Scope lens on and my 50 pence home made scope bracket.

-

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2019 09:03 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -

This cold commercial has been brought to you by....

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2019 09:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Matt!

We've had a strange winter here: just as cold (maybe even colder) than usual, yet every time a storm has approached we've been locally warm and the snow turned to rain. 50 miles north they get clobbered, we just become damp.

I have not fired my snowblower once in anger this year! If the trend continues, I'll have to siphon the gas tank into my lawn mower.

I guess I shouldn't make this sound too much like a complaint...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 08:59 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spring arrives in our back yard:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 18, 2019 09:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local filmfair, yesterday in the small town of Waremme. Many sellers but, unfortunately, a majority of dvds and papers (books, posters).

-

-

The picture of this Ampro projector is not sharp, sorry.

-

Forum member Jean-Christophe De Block, one of the two organizators of the coming Ternat filmfair (Ternat is close to Brussels, the filmfair will be held on Sunday 18th March).

-

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 18, 2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our azalea's are really taking off!:

-

There are many poisonous snakes in Florida, and when you come across a snake it is always a bit of a scare. Fortunately, this one in my back yard this morning, is harmless (I think!) [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC