8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 39)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 18, 2019 01:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I hope there are no alligators in the swimming pool [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 23, 2019 05:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Things NEVER Change

I have a set of these really nice DVDs. 80 years ago a Gent filmed the last days of the Maine narrow gauge railroads on 16mm. Some of this footage was even color: very rare as far as images of these lines go. He kept it all to himself for a long time but decided in his own last days he could do some good with these films. As a fundraiser for the museums that are now restoring these lines, he donated his footage. It was transferred to digital format, sound tracks were dubbed in and his films were released on DVD. Me being me I was pretty much first on line when they were released. (It’s a film/train kind of thing.)

They play nicely with my VP and sound system. It’s a lot better than when I watched them on a TV screen.

I was watching one of them today and something caught my eye: just a woman sitting in a car parked at a railroad station. Based on my life’s experience I know exactly what she’s doing and why she wound up preserved for posterity. You see, this lady isn’t waiting for a train, NO: she’s waiting in the car while her husband runs around with a movie camera filming some trains! This is yet another dimension of the patient film hobbyist’s wife! (God bless ‘em!)

50 years later and more that could be MY wife! (I have the exact same footage!)

-

(July, 1936: Franklin County, Maine)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 27, 2019 02:24 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up a couple of wall lights from our local Eco shop for $5 and after re-wiring them I wall mounted them today. [Smile]
 -
The red rope light that fellow forum member Pat gave me for round the screen works well, also the Osram LEDs. Funny thing though, when I worked at the cinema our Osram Xenon lamp supplier told me, that if I ordered more just before Christmas they would throw in the changing LEDs as well....so I thought why not. I will need more Xenon lamps soon "well sort of" hence the order and the LEDs now in our wee home cinema.
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 27, 2019 07:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All these pictures are so nice to see and also enjoy your memories.

Paid our respects to Mary Shelly with some red roses.

-

Then visited the other Mary Shelly...as you do.
 -

Met up with an old film friend of mine not seen for 40 years and inspected the Regent projection room.

-

Last nights visit to Stockport PLaza Super Cinema
 -

The hall of stars
 -

One of the 3D displays
 -

Anyone visiting the UK might want to think about the short bus ride outside of Manchester to Stockport and enjoy a visit to the cinema. Its all art deco complete with vintage projection equipment and even Vitaphone installed. Also has a superb Compton theatre organ played during film intervals.

SUNDAY 6TH OCTOBER 2019 is the 6th festival of BRITISH FILM 11am all day. Might bump into a few of you I hope.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 27, 2019 10:55 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of our old Cinemas still standing..just about.

Palladium Pictures
 -

Picture Palace (Now flats)
 -

Fascinating building where many cinema features remain even the film drop off doorway.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 28, 2019 05:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trawling thru a digital archive of 35mm film scans all extremely nostalgic.

Fond memories of visiting the Golden Films building on Wardour Street as a boy and returned not so long ago for a wander round nostalgia trip.
 -

Looking back thru our many years as foster carers with disabled children in-between our regular jobs.
FISH SPOTTING and lending a hand in a difficult world for disabled young people.
 -

Still taking the projectors around about to youth organisations and explaining all about film. These young people find it fascinating.
 -

And finally our Tony enjoying his pies at my own Film Fair and in the centre background dear Laurie Ringrow the reel 16mm man who we sadly lost a short time ago. Such a nice man.
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 01, 2019 06:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its amazing what appears on Facebook [Smile] fellow forum member Pat put me onto this photo of my long ago Mt Cook days. As well as operating a number of HS748s we also used a couple of Fokker F-27 Friendship. This photo that Pat put me onto, is one of them "ZK-BXF".

It brought back memories of one weekend me and my boss were rostered on from 3.30am in the morning to 9.30pm at night, which was then the usual weekend hours coming straight after our night shifts.

The weekend roster consisted of just the two of us, and remember we towed "BXF" into the hanger for regular maintenance. My boss did the airframe and I did the engines.

After we finished it was just a case of the "paper work" which was heaps of computer printed out stuff that always seemed to go on forever. Anyway as I was reading and signing off, my boss was pulling the paper work along the bench, saying "Haggis" you would have done that..just sign it...I could not keep up with the moving paper work, so kept signing without having a chance to read it....just sign he would say...just sign. My hand was getting cramp trying to keep up with the speed of the paper work. At the end he said "DONE", folded it all up and put it in the box....last thing he said..... right "LUNCH" [Big Grin]

PS. After we closed in 1997 he went on to being one of the big bosses at Air New Zealand...now retired

Memories [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 03, 2019 03:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Completed my final filming of all the building redevelopment at the old Derann Films premises which we have been doing regularly since 2011 and my goodness have we covered some miles!

The new development is now fully occupied and with some nice apartments at the rear. We once again visited the original shop at Stourbridge which kind of wraps the whole shoot up for me.

This will be forming part of a new Blu-Ray I am producing along with other footage when the shop was open and I'm also at present carrying out a 2K scan of Cinema in Miniature to be included from the master print. Watch this space.

-

To end out our journey we once again paid our respects to Derek Simmonds placing some flowers from us all on the 8mm Forum.

-

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 04:23 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my oh my. this takes me right back. many a time have i parked on that car park waiting for the open days to begin. exciting times indeed. absolutely loved going to them. great staff to deal with. and of course the boss himself Derek Simmonds. so so many have fond memories of that man.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 01:39 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - A very nice touch. Very thoughtful.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2019 11:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who remembers taking Polaroid photos? [Roll Eyes] well I must say that although the photos have been knocked around a bit over the years the color is still ok.

The following photos were taken around 1980 I guess [Roll Eyes] as I had just finished re-painting Yvonne 1952 split windscreen, side valve Morris Minor. I still remember the paint I was given for free "Tampa Green" from the aero club that I worked at the time, they were having a clean out.

After cutting the rust out and re-painting it on my, still have compressor, Yvonne got many happy hours driving it around town. These days it would be regarded a classic and certainly worth more than what we paid and sold it for back then.

Anyway this is me, admiring my handy work with Yvonne taking some photos with her Polaroid.....I wonder what happened to it?
 -
 -

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2019 09:03 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still do take Polaroid pictures, on an old Polaroid camera using the original film, still being made. I also have a brand-new Polaroid camera which prints the picture as soon as it has been shot, but this is not a photographic developing process like the original. All great fun and, with the right camera, some very decent results!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 04, 2019 09:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All our Polaroid's have turned pink. [Frown]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 04, 2019 12:06 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember in the early B&W Polaroids having to put a coating to preserve or stop the developing process.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 04, 2019 12:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! found a old photo with my granddaughter playing with it. On the back of the photos it does say Kodak [Roll Eyes]

Am I right to think that kodak film was used? as I honestly cant remember much about the camera or the film used.
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 04, 2019 02:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me Graham, am I missing something here? If your granddaughter is holding the Polaroid camera, then the photo must have been taken with another camera not the Polaroid , and presumably one with Kodak film in it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 04, 2019 03:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

The photo of my granddaughter holding the camera was taken with Yvonne digital camera. [Smile] In its day I don't think we used the polaroid much, as film was expensive. In the end the kids and later the grandkids used to play with it, going around clicking at things [Big Grin]

I don't know what happened to it in the end, chances are it was thrown out during some clean out [Frown]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 05, 2019 01:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You prompted me to check some of the old Polaroids here which seem to be holding up. Memories of Dad with his B&W camera and putting the paper between two aluminium sheets in his pocket awaiting the process to reveal itself.

Great car and nice to see the youngster discovering the wonders of Polaroid.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 02:25 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The few colour Polaroids I have taken still look good, but the B&W ones have faded badly.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 06:54 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polaroid really is a top notch company! Their products have stood the test of time in most cases, and where the technology has faded, they have fixed and improved....they are now making amazing 3D printers!
Also: Polaroid instant digital line of cameras and printers now use the revolutionary ZINK® Zero Ink® printing technology which uses heat to produce full-color, high quality, long-lasting and smudge-proof photos.

Polaroid is cool!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 05, 2019 08:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they are bringing back Polavision? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 05, 2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for that if they bring back Eumig too! [Wink]

I've shot a lot of Polaroids, but every last one of 'em was an oscilloscope screen capture back in the 1980s. (Digital 'scopes put an end to this.)

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 09:46 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
That would be hilarious Paul: Polavision

I can't believe it could only hold 2 1/2 minutes of recording...and no sound. Hey, Maybe this can now be upgraded!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 07, 2019 11:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German Trains (-small ones this time!)

Every couple of years we go to Germany: we have family there, and then again there is the Bier! Since the last time, I found out about this little Feldbahn Museum and even though this trip was off season, I just had to check it out.

-

Feldbahn (industrial railways) are kind of a big commercial quality train set for grown-ups. Starting before they invented trucks, if you had a mine, or a quarry or a big farm, and you needed to move materials around, you’d lay some very small narrow-gauge tracks and run tiny engines and cars where you needed them. Everything is small enough that a crew of men can do the work with hand tools. These aren’t great works of engineering: you need a siding for six months, you lay it, use it, rip it up and move it someplace else. Much like model trains, sectional track is quite common: easy, cheap, flexible, reusable. After a while these often became kind of a spiderweb of tracks, switches and crossings: sharp curves, steep hills, and a ride worthy of nothing at all delicate.

”Don’t spend time cutting that tree down!”

-

This museum is on the site of an old brickworks near Stuttgart. In the 1980s, the brickworks went out of business and left all those neat little trains abandoned yet not unloved. A group of volunteers bought it up and started working. Project one was the engine house. It was buried at the bottom of a valley and the first thing they did was dig down a couple of meters and bring it back to life. (It’s the glamor of historic work!)

-

I thought we would arrive there and find the place locked up tight, but just because they weren’t offering rides that day, doesn’t mean there wasn’t work to be done. We showed up December 29th and found about 6 volunteers in warm clothing reviving one of their little diesel locomotives. We also found a friendly fellow with English much better than my German (not much of a stretch) willing to give us a tour.

-

I know quite a few people like these from similar museums over here. To a certain extent I’ve been one myself. A lot of them could be home watching the ‘tube instead of being cold and greasy in an engine shed, but willing, passionate people are often the only way to make something like this happen.

-

"Daaad! I don’t think the airline will accept this as checked luggage!"

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2019 01:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic Steve I like the rails going around the tree, that reminded me of the long gone amusement park across the road where you could use a jigger to go around on. The track went between two rows of trees, about the same width as your photo. After the place closed down, the trees were still there, and for years they always reminded me of the long ago track.

The jigger was great exercise, however you had to make sure the other person was putting as much effort as you were and not just going along for the ride [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC