8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 20, 2016 07:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paid our respects to author Mary Shelley also remembering the popularity amongst 8mm collectors of Frankenstein.

-

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2016 08:55 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a Goth, Lee?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 20, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finished converting to Quartz Halogen 150 watt lamp. Bought a transformer and a fuse holder, but decided not to have a low/high lamp setting and just go for the full 15 volts through the original lamp switch.

The light from the projector without doubt is a huge improvement over the original 110v 500w lamp and its condenser lens. The throw to the screen is about 8 meters around 24ft. I understand when this model of projector came out in the early 1950s you had to buy the lamp separate and was not included in the projector upon purchase....it was all very expensive stuff back then.
 -
 -
 -
 -
Quite a long throw but the light output is very good, it will be interesting to screen some Kodachrome.
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 20, 2016 02:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Graham and a simply stunning home cinema you have there BTW!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love that setup Graham!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 20, 2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham ... your cine room is beyond awesome. It's a film-lovers dream theatre. It looks so cozy and warm...I just want to plop down on one of those cumfy theatre seats with a bag of popcorn and a box of Junior Mints and let the movie begin [Smile]

[ February 21, 2016, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Janice, a lovely super 8 viewing room. Let us hope that these blasted quakes never part you with it!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 22, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, If I get the chance I would like to do something like this.

Home Cinema: Yes, Cinema atmosphere, but still Home atmosphere!

-The kind of movie theater you feel comfortable with your shoes off! (-a projection booth with a bottle opener!)

I have these recurring dreams of discovering perfectly shaped empty rooms in the house (been there 24 years...you'd think I'd know by now!).

-and I keep waking up remembering that the other side of the wall behind the china closet is just lawn!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 01:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be great if we were all as lucky as Paul and Graham here with our cinema rooms!

Ah well, we can dream.

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Looks great!
I am curious about the speakers on either side of the screen.
Can you let me know your set-up for doing this. Can you play any projector through those speakers and if so, how did you set that up. I would like to do that with some extra speakers i have, but i thought i needed elmo speakers to run on the elmo, because of the special 'jack' plug in. Is there a way to do this for any projector?

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 22, 2016 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the best thing to do is get your projectors to play nicely with your home audio system.

-something like this:

An Easy Hookup from a Projector to a Stereo Amplifier

I wrote these for a Forum Friend before I decided to make them available to everyone here. He tried it and was very pleased with the results.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Any decent mixer console will allow at least two or three analog inputs from our projectors Matthew, so as long as you can sit all the projectors in a booth in fairly close proximity to the mixer, then the output from a mixer can be fed through to a home cinema receiver or stereo amplifier very easily and then out to the fixed located speaker system.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 05:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone [Smile]

Mathew what model of Elmo do you have? the reason I say this is that the very early ST1200"M" did not have a Aux out, but does have a "monitor jack" you can use that, to make a duel lead RCA inputs to an external amp, you can probably buy an already made cable that will do the job. However your Elmo speakers are themselves very good do you use both? L/R mono.

All the sound from video and film projectors is fed directly into a external Yamaha amp, with the exception of Super8 and 16mm only, which goes from the projectors to a selector switch, then onto an old Sony Graphic Equalizer before the amp. That Graphic Equalizer with its wide range of adjustments, works a treat in improving the sound just before it gets to the amp.

The great thing about this amp is wide range of inputs at the rear including "a must" multi-channel for the 35mm.

anyway its all food for thought [Roll Eyes]

Just finished mixing the best bits of Elmo Editor 912 dual with the arms and motor attachment from a Goko Dual 8 Editor, that was damaged. Bought an external plug in 12 volt DC, 2.5 amps regulated output for the variable speed Goko motor. Made a small light box, plus was given some cement splicers, all secured to a table. Heaps of film to sort out during the winter months so this should do the job. I still have not had any replies to "Facebook" regarding the return of some of this film it to the original owners...but will keep trying and just give it time.
 -
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 05:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a real shame to hear Graham however I wouldn't give up hope just yet. These things can take time and many families don't look at nostalgia in the way perhaps you or I would.

At least you've done the honourable thing here and hopefully your efforts will be justly rewarded in the long term!

Well done Graham.

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 elmo's currently. ST180E, ST1200HD, and a no sound K110SM.
I really need to fix the ST1200HD with a proper ext socket in order to set up speakers externally, but it is something i would love to do as well. Thanx all for the explanations of how to set-up sound via speakers.
Here is the link to my very first post on this forum! which got me to working sound order on the ST1200HD, but I have yet to find a replacement part I need. http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009610# 000000
I don't have any elmo speakers myself, sorry if i miscommunicated that, but I do have older stereo speakers currently that are not being used. My speakers are called B&W DM110i. I also made up a stereo system from flea market parts, mostly pioneer, including the receiver. I don't have a mixer, other than my zoom MRS-8 multitrack recorder http://test.zoom.co.jp/products/mrs8
which has a digital mixer. I can find a mixer at a fleamarket if need i believe.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 22, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Bower & Wilkins manufacture very fine speakers indeed!

These may prove to be TOO GOOD to use with your cine equipment simply because the sensitivity and frequency range of these refined speakers may prove too much when fed a relatively crude signal by comparison with today's squeaky clean digital standards.

I know these are older B&W speakers but maybe better in many ways to find hi fi equipment from the exact same era your machines were made to use with them and to a degree, less refined dare I say.
Better speakers produce a far wider range of sound, some of which is not what you want to hear at certain frequencies for the viewing of Super 8mm or 16mm film.

They will be far more suitably matched and will save the high probability of ruining a very refined piece of equipment here.

A Mixer such as a Numark CM100 or 200 or equivalent plus a decent graphic equalizer (like a Behringer 6200 for example), will also work wonders here before an amplifier.It will also fit nicely into a self contained 4U rack for protection and professionalism if you want to keep your booth nice and tidy.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 23, 2016 12:55 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad part with a lot of home movie stuff, is how it was got rid of in the first place.. and why?

I was talking to the folk at the Heritage Park, and was told its not just home movies. People often dump there 35mm slides, and either hand the boxes in or sell them on the internet. The most valuable part of all this is in my view is the slides, but sadly they are the first to get thrown out, this kind of thing I understand happens all to often [Frown]

In one box I discovered over 40 reels that had come back from Kodak from processing taken of the 1974 Commonwealth Games that was held here in this city. This without doubt is amazing footage, and covers just about everything. Those little Kodak reels look like they have never been through a projector, plus the fact there are paper details with each reel regarding the content.

Also in the same sealed box was quite a number of empty 200ft reels and plastic boxes. I guess the films were to go onto those reels.

The question I ask myself what happened 40 years ago, that with all the trouble taken to shoot this film the project was never finished? Anyway I am going to finish this 40 year old film for this person, who ever he was, by editing and splicing all those reels together for projection.

That brings up the question to all of us, as to what will happen to our films and projectors after we are gone? will they suffer the same fate? and will anybody even be interested, other than using a GS1200 as a boat anchor [Roll Eyes]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 23, 2016 04:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Food for thought indeed Graham!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 05:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still saddened to see my favourite shop close down, understand it was something to do with the lease. Went along for the last couple of days trading chatting to the staff and buying a few films. Will very much miss this store with the friendly staff.
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 06:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, but surely not to the extent we felt learning this one was closing Lee!

-

-

No online alternative when this one went! [Frown]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 25, 2016 02:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Bikes, Barracks….Berlin Too!

So today is the first day this year that has had just the slightest hint of springtime to it. I’m all for that, so before I ate my lunch I dusted my bike off and took a ride down along the siding through the solar farm.

(This is not the first time I’ve ridden my bike this year, but only the first time I wasn’t risking frostbite or winding up being ”bad example guy” on a safety poster due to ice on the pavement!)

One thing I learned is either I am not in the same shape I was last fall, or the cold I’m not quite finished recovering from has taken a lot out of me! Even with full tires the ride back up the hill made me feel about 90 years old today! (We’ll work on that!)

While I was off the bike trying to catch my breath I walked along our railroad siding and noticed cinders in among the ballast, even though there hasn’t been a steam locomotive operational on Long Island in my lifetime. This is very old track, and years ago there was a lot more of it too. The land that is now Brookhaven Labs a very long time ago was called “Camp Upton” and was a very large Army base with miles of spurs and sidings and its own station too.

During World Wars One and Two this was where the US Army brought thousands and thousands of recruits and did their best to very quickly turn them into soldiers. When they were as ready as could be, Long Island Railroad trains rumbled down that same track and took those husbands, fathers, sons, brothers and friends west to the Port of New York where they boarded ships across the Atlantic, or changed trains and headed cross country for other ships crossing the Pacific.

At the end of both wars, they took as many soldiers as came back, and took care of them before they were formally discharged so they could be husbands, fathers, sons, brothers and friends again.

One of those young men was a nice Immigrant kid from the Lower East Side named Israel Isidore Baline. He came out here almost a hundred years ago on the way to Europe and WW1. He was a talented song writer so he composed a musical revue which the soldiers performed at the old War Department Theater (long gone…termites got it!) and later on Broadway.

Along the way, Private Baline took the stage name “Irving Berlin”, and among his many musicals was a 1943 show called “This is the Army" which soon became a movie. I am a sucker for old musicals, so I was pleased to buy a print from Guy Taylor at CineSea a few years back.

-Imagine how much more I was pleased to discover it was largely set at Camp Upton, where I come to work five days a week!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 25, 2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant story Steve [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 25, 2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Graham!

There's history and culture everywhere!

-even along a railroad siding out in the middle of nowhere!

It's interesting that there is very little left of the old Army camp except for the Officer's Club (-it's OUR club now!) and the basic layout of streets on the grounds.

The buildings were very rapidly built up at the onset of hostilities and then either sold and moved off-site after the wars ended or those that remained were demolished or abandoned to the elements. The camp was closed entirely between the World Wars and changed radically when reopened.

There are no more than 10 historic buildings left, although there are quite a few scattered throughout Eastern Long Island today.

-but the grounds are littered with parts of wagons, small artillery and the skeletons of a great many army mules. Very often when they clear land to build something new, the first to arrive are the folks with the metal detectors and old maps.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 27, 2016 12:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what a week, sadly we had to take our cat to the vet where due to her age and deteriorating health she was put down. Rascal was found as a kitten at the bottom of the garden by Yvonne and the kids back in 1998 and for 18 years she lived her time mostly in the house or garden. We buried her in the same spot where she had been found as a kitten all those years ago.
 -
taken a couple of years ago.
One good thing this week was my daughter April found her parrot that had flown of a few days ago. April and her friends went all over the place the following days and had pretty much given up.
Yesterday an elderly lady found Brucie and contacted April through Facebook. Not only that but the local fire brigade turned up and spent two hours trying to coach Brucie back down of the power lines....well it worked Aprils parrot is back home, thanks to all those who helped.....a happy ending.
 -

-

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 29, 2016 03:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you will I am sure have or seen the super 8 documentary I filmed of the first WB multiplex in the UK many moons ago.
I'm sorry to say here it is today in a very sad way after Vue took over for a short stay.
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC