8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » This Years Blackpool Film Fair (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: This Years Blackpool Film Fair
Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 10:55 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
excellent weekend thank you to David and Adrian and everybody who made this possible.i took a week off work as i do every year

--------------------
kinema king

|  IP: Logged

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in reply to David Skillern. i know umpteen collectors who travel a great distance to attend these event.and not just the blackpool event. this year again some had traveled to blackpool from other countries as they do to ealing etc. i too have travelled to ealing. Deranns open days in birmingham etc.if you really want to do it you do it regardless. i worked in a school for over 30 years. on the seldom times i wanted time off i used to ask the head teacher or school governors.it was never a problem. no one is indispensable.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 11:53 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well I am back home now after a hectic weekend being there from Friday to do the show on Friday night .I have had some wonderful comments re my northwest film fair .I would like to thank every one for attending especially those from other countries and those who drove the 8 hour drive .
I would personally like to thanks adrain for letting me do the Saturday night show showing my collection of films and having my accordion dance organ playing at the interval .I won again 3 times in the raffle and the prizes were great .
but one last thing with out paul barker doing the bring and buy for me .and simon and mark for helping me carry all my stuff in and seting out the hall .don and bob for doing a first class film show presentation of films ,Adrian for organising the sat evening meal and last but not least lee Mannering for doing me the northwest advert banner as used on ebay and my first time to meet mr kieth wilton who I found he was nice to talk to and plenty of knowledge and his help also setting up my room .with out these very dedicated helpers this event would not happen .a good turn out from dealers but I would have liked to have seen more collectors supporting my event .room is booked for same weekend as this next year 2016 thanks to every one best wishes david

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to thank David Skillern first of all for the excellent write up there on this year's Blackpool event.
Fabulous to hear people like Keith and Bill attended this year's event!

I know people believe that for all workers you can get time off if you want it and they therefore see it as any mention of the word work, then you are making lame excuses.
For firemen, Police, Nurses etc, they have worked annualized hours for years. For myself, it's something that was forced upon us all around 3 years ago now.
Believe me, it is a totally draconian system to have to work by. No holidays except the ones you generate for yourself by working on top of what is already a 50 hour
Working week each time I'm in.

I am not bleating as I am reasonably well paid for what I do but what I will say is that unless you have had to work in these modern day systems of working, most people cannot begin to believe what sacrifices have to made just to stay employed.

It is very much a case of "your life in their hands" nowadays for anyone working these patterns. When you're in, you're in...no excuses. That is,if you want to remain in work.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re work. I work 15 hours a day 7 days a week through out the summer season from easter till the end of September then it drops to 10 to 12 hours a day up to the 6th of jan then its repairs to equipment to rides and vehicles ready for the summer season ,but I still find the time to do the things I want

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 12:26 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all,

I don't want to seem like a killjoy - I love this hobby and it's great that people like David Guest and Keith Wilton organise events that collectors and interested parties can attend - but negative comments from individuals like Mr Barker sour the enjoyment. Mr Barker - it obviously was some 30 years ago when you worked in a school environment - the work ethos has changed considerably since you worked in a school . So I'd appreciate if you have these kind of comments - keep them to yourself as this is a friendly and informative site - so negative comments aren't required .

David

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very well said David. The working patterns of today are completely unrecognizable by past ways of working.

As I say, for many including myself, when I'm rostered in, I have to be in. It's as simple as that. No excuses and no sick days unless hospitalized.

I've not been off sick for over a decade now. I simply can't afford to be off if I wish to stay with my company.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as stated previously. if you really want to . you do it. and it is only 2 years ago since i worked in a school. i know exactly the daily working in a school. as i am still involved in other ways. i think if you really look hard you will see were the negativity really is. and its certainly not coming from me. regards

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 12:58 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is only one thing puzzles me Andrew is that you are constantly posting on the 8mm forum and reel magic 24/7 and do post some interesting questions and replies to forum members .how can you do this if you are always in full time work confused

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Barker,
I see you deleted your previous post - in terms of negativity - I'm afraid that previous post was petty and negative. I have been an avid film collector since I was 13 yrs and I'm now 49. Please refrain from criticising members of this forum - if you can get to these events all well and good - but negative comments are not needed. If I had gone to Blackpool - I would have had to leave before the main dealers event - which is primarily what I would have gone for - as I would have been looking for super 8 features. I say this with no malice - this is a fun and informative site - please let's keep it that way.
David

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back on topic ,this years film fair was the very best with lots of great bargains to be found on 8mm,16mm and even 35 and 70mm if thats youre thing a very big thankyou to DAVID GUEST and all his helpers for making it so good ,also a great way of getting to know other collectors and was great to talk to keith wilton and agree david he knows lots of things ,so hears to next year and long may it continue .

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 01:43 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, thanks to David for another superb weekend. It literally cannot be improved on. He is to be congratulated for breathing new life into this celebrated convention.

I must come in on the school teacher aspect being discussed here. I was a teacher and headteacher for many years, so I fully realise the strains of the profession. This never stopped me from attending Blackpool. And my experience in school is very recent.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My shift pattern David gives me 6 days off when not on shift. I say 6 days but it isn't really as you finish on a night shift so your first day off is wasted by sleeping all day recovering from 12.5 hours of rushing about from one machine breakdown to another.

These are your rest days, weekends and holidays all rolled into one.They occur to a set pattern as outlined by your employer. No flexibility is given.

I post on my breaks in work, I post when I'm off for the things that interest me. I do get a lot of time off, just not necessarily the time I'd like.
For example who would take Jan 4th to Jan 10th off on holiday by their own choice?

Certainly never me in the days I got to choose my own holidays, that's for sure.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well MR Skillern. i too have been collecting film since i was 9 years old. i am now 64.if you attend or anyone else attends a film fair its up to them. their choice. but i must admit i find it hard to read posts from so called die hard collectors going on about how much we should try and give support and keep this hobby going. yet when a film fair be it blackpool or any other comes up they always have a reason that they cannot go. now yes i know there must be genuine reasons sometimes. but please come on give us a break. there were a couple of people at this years blackpool with zimmer frames to help them get round the room. and yet here we have events advertised well in advance but the time comes and oh i cant go im working. i really do find that really hard to take.real die hard collectors will go to great lengths to go. but hey at the end of the day its their loss. but then they want pictures posted to look at and still we are told lets give all our support to the hobby. but as i posted earlier a great time was had yet again by all those who were at this years blackpool.and without the likes of mr David Guest this is one convention that would have bitten the dust a few years back. then we would all be looking back saying its a shame that isnt it. i wonder why it finished.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 02:09 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes paul very true ,this is to confirm to let every one in advance that next years film fair will be the same weekend as this one 2016 make a note and plan youre weekend I believe pictures will start being posted soon

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 02:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news David for all of us here that were unable to attend thanks.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 02:52 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a further thing i would like to add as i forgot to say in previous posts. the Hilton hotel is the best hotel the blackpool film fair has ever been held in. it offers excellent accomodation. superb food and plenty of it. and the staff and service are really excellent. i am sure that those that have already stayed at this hotel will agree.it is a great great venue and im sure it could not be bettered. i for one will book here again for my wife and myself as soon as i can for next years film fair.which i hope can be another 3 day event.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're certainly bang on there Paul. It couldn't be held anywhere better.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 23, 2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it certainly all sounds wonderful, and congrats to David on yet another great and successful convention.
I can assure all our collector friends in the UK that were David's convention to be held in the USA, any collector within 350 miles of the venue would think nothing of driving that far to experience it.
And yes, I am looking forward to seeing some pics.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2015 05:23 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my son and I enjoyed our time at Blackpool, A 420 mile round trip and in there for an hour and a half but got some great films so well worth it, we're planning to stay over next year which will be much better, well done to all who were involved in putting this event on.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2015 07:32 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another post in praise of the event (I haven't download pictures from my camera to post yet).

Good to see Keith Wilton there, especially as the nearest tram stop to the Hilton is "Wilton Parade", expect some coverage in Film Collector.

Good film show Friday (I had plans for Saturday - not Strictly Come Dancing!!!!! so didn't attend the meal) and great dealers/shows/auction Sunday.

The only negative comment goes to the railways as my train arrived in Euston over an hour late on the trip nack - I'll be after relay repay from them :-)

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all,

I'm really glad those who managed to get to Blackpool had a really great time. But I feel that my earlier posts have been misinterpreted - as a 49 year old with family commitments - some things have to occasionally take a back seat - and a 450 mile round trip with Santa not too far away was not a major priority. As I have said previously I have collected super 8 since I was 13 years old and I have a large collection of features and shorts - but for about 15 years now I have just been collecting features. When the term Die Hard fan/Collector is used - I feel that this means anyone who supports the hobby they are passionate about - and lets remember everyone that this is just what this collecting films and projectors is for most of us - a hobby. I feel if you go to the conventions and buy from dealers or you support people like Classic, Independent 8, Paul Foster, Ian At Perrys - you are supporting the continuation of this great hobby.
So let's be positive about everyone that posts on this site - we all want the same thing - the continuation of this hobby and whether that is through organising events or conventions or buying directly from the dealers - surely that's what we all want and that's what will hopefully continue. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 25, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures? Anyone?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 25, 2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I find much of David's circumstances and comments echo my own. I agree 100% with all what was said in David's last post here.

Work commitments does stifle many things for a lot of us, but equally there are many other factors that have to take priority over and above any hobby for many of us who do overall support the venture very well throughout the year.

Equally, I hope for all our American and non UK residing collecting friends on here, Paul's requests are answered in the superb manner we all get a flavour of Cinesea, no matter where we are all based on this earth.

--------------------

John Richard Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2015 05:28 PM      Profile for John Richard Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was all set to go but had a bit of an emergency at home................ just getting back to normal, pictures please guys.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC