8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is it time to bring back the projectionist ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is it time to bring back the projectionist ?
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2015 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article for enthusiastic cinephiles. Please don't fight over it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/what-to-watch/digital-christopher-nolan-quentin-tarantino/ [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2015 08:57 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great article in fact. And let's not forget the curtains, either...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2015 02:26 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid when 35mm was sent to the scrap, most projectionists went with it [Frown] I hate saying this, but the film companies, the exhibitors and about 99% of the folk that go to the cinema really don't give a "hoot" about film. Film companies and exhibitors are only interested in one thing ...$$$$$$....so these days I guess "film" is only really produced for actual filming or archive work, but not for 35mm projection in a cinema... sadly those days have well and truly gone. [Frown] .

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 28, 2015 03:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A digital print will not get scratched.
As I understand it, some cinemas with many screens still employ projectionists, otherwise the extra load on management for down-loading would be overwhelming.

--------------------
Maurice

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2015 07:35 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Graham -- we have to face today's reality. Ultimately, it has to make sense business- and economics-wise (as it should).

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes in our anti-digital statements, we may forget the 70's..film still in flower, but presentation was abandoned...even worse than now. Large cinema's divided and subdivided ...screens shrunken....sound leaking from the adjoining theater....films out of focus...shown with the wrong lenses. Curtains? A trivial matter. Films scratched and dirty with terrible mono soundtracks. Seats ...dirty and uncomfortable. Pre-made popcorn that was in worse shape and harder for the viewer to digest than the films themselves.

With today's well designed theaters...and, in many cases, excellent, but expensive, food....I find going to the movies a much more pleasurable than in those dark 70's.

True...I prefer the brightness and quality of a film presentation and I do love the very few theaters for which showmanship is important, but things are better than they were at one time.
And...running theaters and making films was,is and always will be a business, and the people in the business are IN business to make money. If they don't make money, there WILL be no theaters and no movies to watch.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2015 08:25 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well said, Gary! -- couldn't agree with you more.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2015 11:46 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary

totally agree - and very well summed up by observation (especially my experience of the late 70's in the U.K....curtains were non-existent...I remember this awful " kaleidoscopic colour wheel" that used to be projected on the white screen before performances..horrible [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A digital print will not get scratched."

While true, where is the fun in that? I see a film digitally, I know it's digital ... period.

Digital has it's own place, like everything else ... in a landfill!

(haha! OK, I'm just kidding, simmer down all of you digital lovers!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2015 06:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A digital print wont get scratched" [Roll Eyes]
"A film print wont get scratched either", if its looked after [Big Grin]

In the past we sometimes would screen a film for months...the longest I can remember was about 5 months, without any scratches showing up. If a cinema employ people who care about film not to damage it, plus have good clean projection equipment that have regular maintenance, 35mm film can run forever. [Cool] ...even on a 87 year old projector [Wink]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2015 07:47 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema curtains oh how I hate them and it is personal. I remember when was I building my home cinema I was convinced against my better judgement to install motorised curtains and footlights. Most home cinemas have them and watching armchair odeon cinemas I remember some collector even had seven sets of curtains at his set up. At first, I experimented with a pulley system which was not successful . Eventually I gave in to temptation and bought a spondon electric curtain motor unit or a £150 odd hernia unit as I called it. I weighed a ton like a old car battery only smaller. It's was a bollocks to install but somehow I did eventually get it to work properly. At the start, it behaved itself very well with only occasionally non opening or once opened it started a bungee job noise that wouldn't settle until I ran out to adjust it not really the showmanship experience. Fact is it would always be fine when there was just me only playing up when I had an audience. I got the better of it by opening it and just turning off the power socket
but of course when you turned the power on at the end of a show it never performed or had a seizure by grinding away in the background.

Anyway when I was remodelling for installing the Epson I needed a bigger screen which left no room for anything except for dummy curtains . I had to uninstall Christine (my pet name) for her!! I had thoughts of resale on eBay but unfortunately I had screwed her in too well and by the time I had lifted her heavy ass out she had a few blemishes and marks and was beyond sale and considering her unreliability a mercy killing was the only option.

Even hitting her with a big sledge hammer didn't do her much harm . It made me feel good! I believe the bin truck had a little indigestion that week.

Anyway I am curtain less in my present set up and to all you curtainphiles out there. I don't give a damn! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2015 02:14 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

I remember that chap from the Armchair Odeon days.....those seven curtains opening to a certain sequence was to say the least, very impressive. [Eek!] [Smile] There was a collector here who used to have motorized curtains and when the film finished they closed on you so quick [Big Grin] you didn't want to get in there way that's for sure. It always made me smile though as if to say that's it folks..."wham"...The End.... [Eek!]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2015 04:22 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham

It's funny but by accident more than design I avoided the speed issues most collectors had with curtain motors. I had opted for red velvet curtains rather than the light flimsy designs so by pure chance the weight of the curtains I chose I got the speed right. It did however cause the tension problems I encountered which could really have only been resolved by remodelling the auditorium and moving a stud wall by about six inches which might have resolved the motor issues.

I was alway told I dimmed the footlights too quickly but I never had the time and they looked okay to me. [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 29, 2015 09:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the trend for cinemas without curtains became a trend I thought the screens looked so blank, these days I have got used to the idea although after the organ had been played it was nice to hear it at the curtains opened.

Smiling at you digital post Osi!

My oldest 8mm B&W Derann feature from the 70's has survived well probably as we check everything before we start a show. [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital may be scratchless, but I have over 70 year old film in my collection, on standard 8mm and otherwise, and I can still play them and except for the occasional "scratch", they can still be enjoyed just as much as when they were first screened ...

How much do you want to bet that there won't be a single DVD, Bluray or videotape that I'll be able to enjoy much beyond 30 years? In fact, far less time, (though I do have a few palmcorder VHSC that are still playable, with lines, oops, what was I thinkin?g ... SCRATCHES!!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2015 11:14 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time will come someday that you will not be able to collect "films" on digital.

You won't own media at all. If you want to see a movie or hear a song you will pay a fee to stream it and have nothing but the memory until you pay again. (-for a change it will be NICE to have a song stuck in your head!)

I think there will always be broadcast radio because you don't want to spend a half hour putting together a playlist before you drive to work, but it will certainly change broadcast television. There has to be news of course, but you won't turn on the 'tube and ask "What's on?", but instead "What's available?" and get to choose what you see from a vast menu.

Kind of scary if you make your living from a given TV show: you aren't competing against other shows in a time slot anymore, but potentially every show that has ever existed!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 29, 2015 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven`t been to the cinema since 2001 and for the years before that, I was the only person who generally went to ask them to focus the film, and scope ones were a nightmare, in at the edges or the middle of the film, but never both.

I used to go and sit back down, and maybe 1 out of five times they would put it right if you were lucky, or even make it worse one of the odd times they bothered !!!

There never seemed to be a realisation that after the adverts and trailers and at the start of the film the focus needed re-setting up, or being checked periodically through the show.

I think the very best thing they could and should do now is shoot in 65/70mm negative and then take that to digital.

The meld of the large film gauge benifits and look and digital would be brilliant and make any screening even digital superb, and blu rays etc even better.

A great Harmony of both film and digital.

I`m surprised its not happening. Superb film backed origins and lovely in focus images !!!

Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 29, 2015 11:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://vimeo.com/37568683

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2015 02:28 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
loved that little clip.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2015 05:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films with a scratch can still be enjoyed, a digital file that gets badly corrupted can be impossible to show at all. As that article says maintaining a film for decades as a file can cost a lot more than keeping a film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 30, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian's comments remind me of that trnd from about 20 or less years back, that still continues today ...

You'll have family that will bring they're standard 8mm and super 8mm films to a telecine "expert" and then, after having them put on a DVD, will toss the films!

... but then, alas, most or all of these people are never informed, (as there are dollars to be made), that a DVD, even the best of them, have a limited life span. Even the best of DVD's (that are supposed to be good for, what, 100 years?), can only remain that way under certain circumstances and storage.

Quite frankly, I don't see how those estimates for long life DVD's can be accurate, as there is no real way to gauge that.
Different "ingredients" which make up a DVD, decay at different rates, (much like the Cyan layer on Eastman prints, GRRRR!), so, even if the rest of the DVD would be fine, one element decays quicker, and the DVD will not play.

There are quite a few DVD's in my collection (soon to be tossed, as soon as I find out as to whether the "data" on them can be rescued), major studio DVD's, that are pristine, not a mark on them, no bad storage (humidity ect), and yet, they won't play.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2015 03:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are quite a few DVD's in my collection (soon to be tossed, as soon as I find out as to whether the "data" on them can be rescued), major studio DVD's, that are pristine, not a mark on them, no bad storage (humidity ect), and yet, they won't play.

Exactly Osi, and its called 'Disc Rot', and it can happen almost overnight. A perfect playing DVD one day, that refuses to play the next. I have had many in my collection, all from the major studios, and some only 5 years old.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 30, 2015 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can`t say I`ve ever had any dvds, like that, bar ones that were mispressed or whatever from new and pulled.

I wonder if blu ray is more resliliant, they are scratch wise better in that sense.

I ahve had many memory stick issues though.

Best Mark.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2015 05:41 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had bad DVDs that didn't work from day 1 and burned DVDs usually with labels stuck on that have caused problems but I have yet to have a bought DVD that worked initially and failed on me or rotted. I did hear similar stories 20 years ago that videos would instantly turn to dust after 20 years but recently transferred a lot of film documentaries from video to DVD. One being a South Bank show on Walt Disney and another on Stan Laurel from 1987 and 1988 without any problems. I remember reading one time that 50% of all films ever made before 1950 have already been lost and 25-30% of films made after 1950 have either been lost or been allowed to decay. Even Star Wars had significant damage to it and had to be restored before it could be rereleased to cinemas for the 25th anniversary in 2002.

Maybe that why Hollywood keeps remaking movies they know something we dont know!

I will keep you posted when I get my first DVD rot. I also have some woodworm in my basement but whilst I treated it my father in law says it will never goes away but not to worry as I will be horizontal by the time it becomes a problem.

On this happy note Happy Halloween!

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2015 06:41 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had bad DVDs that didn't work from day 1 and burned DVDs usually with labels stuck on that have caused problems but I have yet to have a bought DVD that worked initially and failed on me or rotted. I did hear similar stories 20 years ago that videos would instantly turn to dust after 20 years but recently transferred a lot of film documentaries from video to DVD. One being a South Bank show on Walt Disney and another on Stan Laurel from 1987 and 1988 without any problems. I remember reading one time that 50% of all films ever made before 1950 have already been lost and 25-30% of films made after 1950 have either been lost or been allowed to decay. Even Star Wars had significant damage to it and had to be restored before it could be rereleased to cinemas for the 25th anniversary in 2002.

Maybe that why Hollywood keeps remaking movies they know something we dont know!

I will keep you posted when I get my first DVD rot. I also have some woodworm in my basement but whilst I treated it my father in law says it will never goes away but not to worry as I will be horizontal by the time it becomes a problem.

On this happy note Happy Halloween!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC