8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is it time to bring back the projectionist ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is it time to bring back the projectionist ?
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2015 11:07 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought curtains were to protect the screen from being damaged by some of us unruly theater goers. I remember popcorn used to be in a box-like container, not like the round tubs of today. Once the popcorn was done we would fold the box and throw them across the theater. BAD BOYS! I actually miss Technicolor prints when the color was dripping off the screen, many Doris Day-Rock Hudson movies were Tech, and black and white movies. And I mean real black and white on black and white film. None of that today. I find the digital projection is not as colorful as it was in the past.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 05:33 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

never experienced "DVD" rot...at all.

I am currently playing DVD's and recorded DVD's from well over 10 years plus...no problems or issues at all, EVER with any of them. And I own thousands. Some from the very time they first released DVD - all play perfectly...

If they are well looked after I cannot see how it can happen - so Osi if it is "true" as you say - and you do make me chuckle with your "insightful" and knowing posts ...it must be just bad luck on your part if you are having to dumps DVD's "pristine" etc, that do not work! But there is no way can you make a statement as to how long "DVD" disc will last.

Also just to add. I believe that whilst the world is turning to streaming video, etc. We will, certainly for a long time be able to buy and own "hard" copy movies and media - whether DVD or another version, etc.

[Smile] [Confused]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 31, 2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, DVD Rot is caused by oxidation of the reflective layer of the disc. To make the discs as cheap as possible, manufacturers use an aluminum reflective coating on the disc. But of course aluminum gradually oxidizes and becomes dull, non-reflective, aluminum oxide. There is a very thin transparent plastic layer over the disc for protection, but oxygen molecules can still permeate through that layer. So its all a matter of how long it takes to oxidize, but eventually all discs with aluminum reflective coatings will fail. The answer is to use a gold reflective surface, but that would up the price of discs tremendously.
If the surface of the disc looks like a coffee stain, it is a sure sign that disc rot has started.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 11:45 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

thanks for the info.

10 years plus ...and still going with not one occasion is great by me...and I will be quite happy to pay another £5 - 10 in the future...should/if it happens. Everything will break down eventually as we know...It is just that I don't quite get Osi's..."apparent" issues [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the DVD / Blu Ray forums on this issue it has been discussed with some experiencing DVD rot whilst most haven't. The problem seems to be in the manufacture process rather than the product itself with Universal and Liongate releases being identified as culprits. Rates quoted as being affected vary from 0.1% to 1%. Storage, sunlight temperature variations and fingerprints are mentioned as possible reasons for non playing. Longtivity is generally given as 30 to 45 years on average.

Media discs have actually been around from late 1960s but only started being used commercially from 1995. I don't think Rod Taylor with his talking discs in "The Time Machine " counts lol. His technique is sadly lacking.

As Mark says, if I identify a DVD as not playing I would simply replace.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course Osi was referring to DVD-Rs which are dye based. They are burnt using a laser and if left out in sunlight the become unplayable as the rest of the dye reacts to the light.

Some of the pressed DVDs to rot were due to bad sealing of the "sandwich" of the aluminium between the plastic layers.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC