8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Fantasia: Blu-Ray vs DVD vs Laserdisc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fantasia: Blu-Ray vs DVD vs Laserdisc
William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FANTASIA is on my list of the top ten greatest films ever made. Since it's first home video release, I have purchased it on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD (the 2001 "FANTASIA ANTHOLOGY" BOX SET which includes FANTASIA 2000 - no comment).
When the Blu-Ray was released, I was tempted to buy it but held off. I'm glad I did. I have been reading a lot about the Blu-Ray and how each frame has been digitally 'scrubbed' and enhanced to the point where it looks more like digital animation. Also, the soundtrack has been re-mastered even further than in the 2001 DVD. All evidence of Fantasound is gone. It also retains from 2001 the re-dubbing by a voice-over artist of Deems Taylor's voice. I'll stick with the Laserdisc. It is a commendable representation of the restoration done at that time. Deems Taylor's real voice is heard and the soundtrack is a reasonable representation of Fantasound. The work of the artists is there - not obliterated by technology.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 24, 2015 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in hearty agreement with you on this!

I have the laserdisc version too, but I will wait until Disney has the "nerve" to actually release the actual, original Fantasia ...

That is, the un-edited fantasia, which would mean that the "Pastoral Symphony" is restored with all the original animation of the black centaurettes back in. Disney tried to kind of make up for this sequence by coming in real close on some of those shots (which is why the image suddenly gets real grainy and slightly out of focus, as it's way too close), and in other whole shot's, actually going back to the cels and completely removing the black centaurettes from the shot (this is why that carpet rolls out all by itself for Bacchaus and his Donkey!).

Have the nerve to give us the original, Walt Disney version of fantasia, and I'll venture buying it.

The same goes for Song of the South. Come on Disney company, take a chance and release these, even in limited release, and do what warner Brother did with they're cartoons collections, giving a disclaimor that "these films are a product of their time and may have images or characters that are no longer accepted in politically correct society ect ect "

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 25, 2015 03:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.

Mickeys Christmas Carol is another where the Blu Ray escape more than a release has been over touched up shall we say and its totally wrecked. The Super 8mm Derann release is sheer joy to view and original. Win win Super 8!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 25, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly all of the Disney prints are I find, take Hunchback for example, I am viewing it right now and it is just razor sharp with a stunning colour palette.

They simply don't come any better than these from the superb negatives and lab service as was in that era.
Really beautiful prints these.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC