8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blackpool date confirmed 2016 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Blackpool date confirmed 2016
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 03:25 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I echo Paul's wise words. Don't forget Friday night, around 8pm, in The Hilton, we will be testing out our projectors in the cinema. As well as 8mm, we will use 16mm projectors with updated HID lighting and a film from Elf themselves, showing all the different models.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 07:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the attractions extending from Friday evening to the end of Sunday afternoon (with sightseeing time on Saturday) it should be an outstanding weekend!

I currently have 57 bookings for the Saturday dinner, which is a record for the post-Derann era! Some people are making their first visit to Blackpool for many years, but have been drawn back by the weekend's growing reputation. I'm due to give the Hilton a more or less final number next Monday, so please let me know by Sunday if you would still like to book. It's only £20 for guests not staying at the Hilton, which is cost price and a bargain for an evening that includes a delicious three course meal; a Super 8 film show presented by David Watson using an ultra-rare Fumeo; a quiz and the extraordinary raffle.

[ November 09, 2016, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found some super 8mm films i forgot i had ,so just gets better for the buyer nothing on my table will be expensive and i have a few super 8mm that are quite rare ,realy looking forward to seeing everybody at the saturday night meal and at the convention .

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi everybody cant wait its that kid in a sweet shop time of year again.anybody know how many will be there on friday [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
kinema king

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 12:21 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to the grape vine about 60 I have been told maybe more who knows .glad to hear Adrian evening meal is looking good did you get room sorted for your dad simon b

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 12:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to attend the Saturday night dinner but as I will travel with two coaches, there is a risk I miss the second one (in London) and may arrive later than expected (in theory I should arrive at Blackpool at 2.20 pm).

--------------------
Dominique

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 12:39 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi dom is that 2.20 sat or sunday

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi David 60 sounds great.just me this year.good luck Dom with your transport.happy Blackpool everyone [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
kinema king

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 04:24 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Dominique De Bast..
Hello Dominique concerning the convention dinner on Saturday night 18th Nov. the dinner itself starts at about 8pm. so if you do get to Blackpool some time before that I think you would be able to attend, we would be very glad to have you with us, so to this end I would like to invite you to the dinner as my guest at the dinner please just post a reply here on this thread and I will then have a word with Adrian and book you in, my treat, if your travel plans and journey make it to late for you to get there for the dinner on the night,don't worry about it at least the oppertunity and a dinner place will be ready if you can.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 04:39 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
david what a very kind gesture .I emailed hilm and told him if he got lost or something I would come and pick him up

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 04:52 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To both David :-) You're fantastic people ! My first coach from Brussels is supposed to arrive in London at 5.45 am (on Saturday). Then the coach to Blackpool leaves (from the same station, Victoria) at 8 am. So, there are only two hours between both coaches. If I'm Lucky and there is no delay, I should be able to catch the 8 am coach and then arrive in Blackpool in the afternoon (in theory at 2.20 pm (same day of course, Saturday). In this case, I would be able to come (probably exhausted) to the dinner. I really appreciate your messages !

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 02:35 AM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dominique, thanks for your reply, if as you say your coach trips go well you'll make it to Blackpool in time for the dinner so I will contact Adrian and book you in, look forward to seeing you.
Best regards..
David...

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 03:12 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats a really great gesture from David Watson. Dominique you are without doubt a dedicated collector. as i stated on another forum there are some who live only miles away and yet give every excuse as to why they cannot attend. so well done Dominique you are an inspiration.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 03:42 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes paul that is quite true I know one guy that only lives 3 miles away but fails to attend I am totally distgusted when events like this are on but fail to attend ,and they are the first ones to moan when they stop .I cant wait to see if it was ealings last one as they will be first to moan and don't even go we will see

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 04:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't attend these things nowadays, I don't personally see how any of these guys have the right to moan once they've gone.

I presume the Ealing event will only have closed its doors for last time because Keith is feeling the pressure from doing it still, both bodily and to his wallet.

I know Keith says it was costing him personally to finance the whole event in the end. I am sure he wouldn't want to put all that effort into it, only to run it at a loss in these times.

Hopefully, this wasn't the case for Keith this year, as I know numbers were said to be up on recent times.

A younger Keith and just a little more interest in the hobby as a whole,then who knows?
Maybe it could have gone on for much much longer.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 05:09 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will you be sad to see any of them go Andrew. you being someone who never attends.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 05:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes of course Paul.

It serves superbly for those who attend the Ealing event and I've watched countless footage from the BFCC/ Derann dvd's of these events over the years, and enjoyed every single minute of them.

Like all good things in life, one day it has to end though sadly. This in part is probably because there is hardly any new film products to promote or for the next generation of film collectors to buy. The older better stuff becomes more scarce by the year and therefore the attendance at the afore mentioned Ealing event had sadly dwindled over the years.

Whatever happens regarding this event in the future, it has given many collectors a great deal of pleasure and entertainment and as such, has left an eternal legacy of fond memories etched in people's minds from all across the globe.

To all event organizers,past and present, you should be saluted for the pleasure you have brought to many many collectors the entire world over.

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 07:33 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one collector we know of has a genuine excuse not to go; his daughter is getting married outside of the UK the weekend of Blackpool. The other collectors who say "we always go shopping that day" or "my wife won't be happy" will miss out on another stunning event at Blackpool. Those who are gripped around the throat due to their love of money and cannot bring themselves to spend any...I am sure that money languishing in your pocket will bring you nowhere near the pleasure we will all be having in Blackpool.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 08:06 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you know Simon i actually feel sorry for those that cannot go.and i feel if we all had Andrews outlook ie enjoying the video and dvd of events instead of actually supporting such things. then there would be no dvds or video to see, because no one would have gone in the first place. looking forward to seeing you next friday Simon.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 08:08 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone who misses this event will be sick I have plenty bargains to be had and a few surprises keep buying of ebay where you cant see properly what you are buying where as blackpool the dealers are always more to screen any film you are interested before money changes hands not like ebay well spoken simon see you and paul and mark for a drink on Friday night on me

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 08:51 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we must all support Blackpool it would be unthinkable to lose it.the best weekend of the year in my book.those who think there hobby is dead are killing it

--------------------
kinema king

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no merit to attend film conventions. It is always a great pleasure and I have never been deceived by any. Even in small events (like some in Belgium), it is always nice to see other collectors. The conventions in the UK give me not only the opportunity to see (and buy) items I see seldom (or never) on the continent but also to meet British people, they have, once again showed on this thread how sweet people they are :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 10:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right of course Dominique regarding many of our collectors. Hats off to both David's here in volunteering to take great care of you my friend whilst you are at Blackpool!

In reply to Paul's earlier comments, the DVD's I have purchased over time, are of a completely different era than today.
These relive the era when Derek and his team, as well as other dealers such as Ian of Perry's used to be in attendance and Derann used to be selling their latest new feature releases there.

These are the types of films I collect now, as you know, therefore it is these events from a bygone era that capture my most interest while this stuff was all still brand new out on my one and only prefered gauge, Super 8mm.

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 10:41 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in simple terms "use it or lose it" i will attend all conventions i am able to ,lets keep them alive

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC