8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blackpool date confirmed 2016 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Blackpool date confirmed 2016
Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just not getting it are you Andrew. look at Cinesea event. what a fabulous time is had by all who make the effort and go there. no Derann, no Perrys, NO NEW PRODUCT. but films a plenty in 8mm and 16mm. getting together with like minded people. Blackpool as an event is as good as it ever was.and in a hotel that would be hard to beat. no, no new product , but again films a plenty. and the chance to enjoy other collectors company. lets just see what Dominique thinks of it all after his visit. so so sad Andrew that you see it as you do. but hey you will be waiting for the pictures on here i guess.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 10, 2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you imagine what it would be like to be a film collector these days without the internet?

It would be very easy to fool yourself into thinking you were the last one on the planet: there might be another one half a mile away, you might even sit down next to him (or her) a couple of times a week when you get a cup of coffee on the way to work, but you might never find out.

It's not the kind of thing you just blurt out to strangers really: "Please, pass the sugar?" "Why YES! I collect films!"

At least with the Internet, we know there are other people who do this, but the next step is definitely the conventions. When you meet and get to know people, you make connections. When I need help, I know people I can ask. Even when I don't need help, I have people sending me links saying "I bet you'd like this!".

-wouldn't have happened if I never got to know them.

One of the things I love about the Conventions is definitely the film shows. Every film I have, I've seen a bunch of times. If there's printing mark or a splice, I know the millisecond it will appear. The film shows are a chance to see films and even entire genres you've never seen before. You might go home liking a whole new thing!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Steve about the film shows. The first Ealing convention I went to was a couple of years ago, and I thought the film shows were brilliant. You got to see Super 8 projected on a HUGE scale, with decent projectors, and I saw digests, cartoons and films that I'd never seen before but impressed me greatly. I've now got the Derann cut down of Capricorn One and just last week was able to pick up the Hovercraft Sequence from Die Another Day, both of which were showcased at that first Ealing event that I went to - I loved them!

One of the highlights of Blackpool for me will be the film show on the Saturday night, and - hopefully he will be doing it - Bob Nichols' film shows on the Sunday.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I see and read Nigel, those that attend, tend to nearly always attend. So I doubt there is any risk of "losing it" whilever the organizers want to continue organizing these events.

As said, numbers were up this year at Ealing and the dinner at Blackpool is said to be the best supported since the Derann era.

All good by the looks of things, irrespective of who doesn't attend for whatever reasons. [Smile]

To Steve and then Paul also here just earlier...as I've explained to David, Paul and just about anyone else here on many many occasions,..
I do thankfully get to meet some of the people I speak with on the forums, the ones which are geographically too far away, I converse with regularly through social media, forums etc.
and if they need my help in any way, I do my best to help them.
Many have helped me also remotely, without even actually meeting these lovely people in person.

As Steve points out above, we live in an era now when we can communicate with anyone in the world at any time of the day or month of the year without leaving the comfort of our own homes.

The need to actually travel to share conversations surrounding the hobby, are well behind us now in this era.

I collect only Super 8mm film and equipment and even then, only a certain era of films nowadays. I have all the equipment I could ever had dreamed of owning just a few years back, already.
So on that front now, I seek nothing new anymore.
I have no particular interest in 16mm or 9.5mm or 35mm /70mm films or equipment.

I get all that I seek from the hobby, just the way things are thanks. [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 01:17 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i find it very sad Andrew that you only converse with people in the hobby via the internet, when there are times you could join and meet up at the film fairs with fellow collectors at places within your area. no great travel to do. but thats your choice of course. lets face it a lot of your time is spent in front of a computer as both forums can see. you obviously dont feel you are missing anything, so i will leave it at that. just a shame ,thats all.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nothing to feel saddened for Paul.
I see the people I can see around my shifts.
I speak with the rest.
I'm perfectly content thanks, and wish you all well at the forthcoming convention. [Smile]

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Andrew can I ask you a question are you disabled or have no legs or so I hope not thanks

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 02:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No David, I am not disabled, I am thankful to say. I wouldn't be able to do my work in my job if this was the case.

--------------------

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 02:26 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a short message for Dominique...
I have been in contact with Adrian Winchester and I can confirm you are now booked in for the Convention Dinner,you'll be sitting on the same table as myself, lets now hope your journey to Blackpool goes well.
Best Regards...
Dave..

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 02:33 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good news to hear that Andrew I thought you might have a disability that's why you don't attend at any conventions but you do a good job on the forum

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 02:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you David, that's very nice of you to say so! [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 02:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I always wanted to attend the Ealing convention, just a bit far away [Frown] ....anyway with the magic of the internet with "Facebook", "Vimeo" and You-tube, its been brilliant link to see what others get up to. Global Super 8 day Facebook for example, has some very interesting stuff on it and with "auto translate" it opens up a whole new world with other non English speaking film making/collectors, some of which are really into Super 8 big time. [Cool] [Smile]

Another advantage is that although you might never meet them due to distance, its obvious when you look at the videos and stills, we are very much on the same wave length when it comes to films and projectors. [Smile] ....some very clever people out there folks.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 10, 2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever get to New Zealand, I'd love to drop by your place for a tour, a film and a beer, Graham!

I'm buying! (...the beer!)

Of course I'd like to have you drop by my "theater" too. I'm afraid there isn't as much to see.

-we have a platter system...it's for serving meat!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

A platter system for serving meat would be just fine [Smile]

[Smile]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long story with a point

When I started collecting film back in the late 1970s there were shops selling super 8 films and dealers but after the video boom I would say you felt you were a minority of one with only newsletters and lists convincing you that the were like minded collectors or maniacs out there in the universe. The "Damascus" moment came when a collector called Adrian asked Derek Simmonds was there any other collectors in Northern Ireland apart from him and Derek said aye loads and somehow from that conversation Adrian got the mailing addresses of all the other collectors who regularly bought from Derann (no data protection in those days) and wrote a letter to all of us introducing himself explaining his interest in Super 8 and inviting us to meet at a local movie making club about having film collecting discussion or shows etc You can imagine when I got the letter from somebody I had never heard of I had visions of some bug eyed loon in a rain coat but after reading it two or three time thought he sounded normal and gave him a call to meet at the next film makers meeting. After that Adrian decided to get the flu and not turn up but I went and met fellow recipients of Adrian's letter. Eventually he did turn up and a new world of home cinemas and people actually having full features opened up to me.

Anyway out of the Adrian letter around 2/3 of the letter recipients formed the NI Film Collectors Club. The other third the Howard Hughes are still living behind closed doors as far as we know.

The result of this was mini conventions in different home cinemas roughly every two to three months, informal film nights where you actually got to see new releases before you spent the money buying them and feature releases you never knew existed. A quarterly magazine which published 8mm stories and actually gave honest reviews of releases much at times to the anger of certain dealers.

During the course of meetings attending conventions Blackpool and London came up in conversations. Most if not all had not been to either. What was the point of spending £200 to £300 when you could buy films with that! The collector who had been to most was Eddy Goodwin who had been attending Blackpool for years even arranging his holiday time from a busy job to make sure he was available.

He basically summed it up as you DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING. Anyway he convinced enough of us to have three car loads travelling via sea ferry across to Scotland and down through Northern England on a Friday night / very early Saturday morning. Eventually arrived at Blackpool and whilst some idiots like me decided to explore Blackpool in a Force 6 gale with torrential rain(definitely wakes you up when you haven't slept all night ) other boring people actually went for a nap.

On the night of the dinner we realised we hadn't told Derann we were a group so we were scattered amongst all the tables across the room. Whilst initially we thought this was a downer we actually got to meet and converse with more collectors that we would have if grouped together. Most collectors either go alone or with their partner or sometimes one or two mates. We were an one off in that there were 8 to 10 of us as a group plus a few others who had gone separately.

I think it was at this point were you realise film collectors tend to be solitary hobbyists. It's no wonder there was a company called Lone Wolf!!

Anyway at these dinners you will always get banter and film collecting info.
If you feel shy / isolated at these dinners I would recommend You buy a drink for your fellow collectors apparently a rare experience amongst certain countrymen. It actually works in US as well After the first drink they will talk to you after two they are your best mate. There was actually a collector I met in the first year remembered my first name three years later lol.

The day of the convention to anyone has never been to one is like reaching El Dorado you will see films and equipment beyond your dreams. I rarely went home without a bundle half my height.

In summary, to those who have never been it is a pleasant enriching experience and even if you don't go for the banter you will see titles you never see and at prices you will never get on the internet.

Convinced yet?

Okay let me explain in plain terms staying at home or sitting on the Internet pretending this is a hobby is like masturbation going to a convention is the closest you will get to having sex in a film collecting term.

In final summary, if you are a film collector going to a convention is like you "Sons of the Desert" moment it will be cinematic highlight of your collecting career. Nothing will compare to it apart from going to Perrys and meeting Ian in the flesh and he lets you project all your potential purchases all afternoon and eventually offers you a cup of tea. That of course is your " When Harry met Sally " moment. 🙇🏻Derann staff never let you loose on the stock on your own!!!😭😭😭

No doubt I have convinced none of the non believers 🎬🎬🎬

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 06:27 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very very well said I to have been attending film conventions for over 35 years as a collecter with my father then in later years as a seller .my sons have been telling me for years to sell them all they say that's what they will do when I snuff it ,but sometimes I sell a film then regret selling it and end up buying it back .I love to collect titles and fiddle with projectors and meet old and new friends and enjoy having a chat I intend to keep blackpool running as long as I can .hope to see you over the weekend

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2016 09:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...

Quote from above..."going to a convention is the closest you will get to having sex in a film collecting term"

And here was me thinking [Roll Eyes] for the last umpteen years, that it was just a hobby [Smile]

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 01:59 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a great responce Mike. you have hit the nail right on the head. ask anyone who goes to Ealing, Blackpool, Farnworth.Harpendon Cinesea etc. i firmly believe that these events keep the interest in the hobby going.and without them, and the people doing them this hobby would decline even further. not only that i have met some fantastic people from it all. thank god there are still people wanting to run such events, and even more so, people wanting to go to them.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 03:59 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone will travel a couple of hundred miles to go to a convention these days, some I know won't travel a quarter of that, good news for those who do put the effort in, my recent trip to Ealing I thought was the best selection of films I've bought for years, better than ebay etc and cheaper!! Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 04:59 AM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last couple of days I have been asked by two different people if there is a 'Dress'code for the Convention Dinner, the simple answer is NO. Some dinner guests will wear a suit and tie, others trousers and a shirt and again some guests will wear jeans and a tee-shirt so you see it does'nt matter, I think I have said this before a couple years ago there's no dress code other than wear SOME clothes no nudists,HA HA.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2016 05:55 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, David. Sorry for the late reply.

--------------------
Dominique

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 07:05 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My advice in life is that it's always better to over-dress rather than to under-dress.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 09:10 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one am really looking forward to my 1st Blackpool Convention - coming upi from South Wales

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 11, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sincerely hope you chaps will consider a flight here for the CINESEA show, come April - You'll find it much like as Blackpool, only thing we don't have an auction, but perhaps someday - I extend a warm happy time to you all, please think of us here as we do there - Cheers all, Shorty

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2016 03:49 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have space for one more table anyone wants it contact me asap
the bring and buy stand has now been made bigger so buyer will e able to see things better instead of being cluttered up

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC