8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blackpool date confirmed 2016 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Blackpool date confirmed 2016
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 11, 2016 08:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to fully endorse how enjoyable conventions are, as well as being the places to pick up fantastic bargains and rare and unusual pieces of equipment. I first attended Blackpool in 1984 and became so hooked that I haven't missed one since. It takes a few hours to get there from south London, but it takes time to reach most holiday destinations, and for many of us Blackpool is a short holiday with a film convention thrown in. I think I've missed two BFCCs, at the most, since 1982 and that was due to clashed with major work events.

I must say, though, that Andrew deserves some credit for stating his perspective and politely accepting all the 'stick' that comes his way, when it it would be easier to keep a low profile and steer clear of this thread in the way that some UK collectors - who ALWAYS have a problem "this year" when referring to conventions - do!

But I'll offer theses words to Andrew: OK, I appreciate that you're often unavailable for work-related reasons, and even if you did come, you may not find any Super 8 to buy. But if you find you're available one year, I'd still strongly recommend coming to Blackpool because I genuinely think you would enjoy it. Considering that some people who completely gave up collecting film some time ago have such a great time that they can't resist it, how could someone such as yourself who clearly enjoys interacting with collectors via forums, fail to enjoy a chance to do so in person, in relaxed and friendly circumstances. And you would probably enjoy the film presentations too. And you can never underestimate the chance of something completely unexpected turning up, that you didn't know you wanted because you never knew it existed on Super 8! E.g. I've been an enthusiastic collector of trailers for over 30 years, and I recently discovered that a distributor that I'd assumed had never released trailers had actually released a whole series of them, corresponding to their other releases, in attractive plastic boxes!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 12, 2016 12:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for those kind words earlier there Adrian, most appreciated.

I do indeed feel for some bizarre and unbeknown reason to myself, that it is I and I alone who has to continually make myself accountable as to why I am not attending this, that and the other convention if I'm honest.
I am not an ignorant person and this a is trait that I truly despise in others, therefore I will always see fit and see it as good manners and courtesy to offer an explanation each and every time, although I do have to admit, it does become tiresome now after so many occasions of being asked.

As I've explained, I like only Super 8mm, within that category, I like only a certain era of Super 8mm product (both hardware and software for want of a better term), I have all the hardware now that I will ever need in my lifetime and most of the films I ultimately seek.
If other "special" titles surface at a price I am comfortable with, I may buy some, but they simply have to be in near mint condition for me to remain interested in these products even then, before I will consider purchasing any.

Everyone I wish to speak with in this game on a regular basis, I do do.
Just as if I were at a convention, I am geographically restricted by who I may actually meet with up in person, but to those guys within the hobby I or they have a reason to meet with, then we both have done on several occasions, and some regularly over the years.

I have many many people I consider very good friends within this hobby, some I have met in person, some I have not.
for all those people who I consider to be my good friends in this hobby, there are no lengths I will not go to for each and every one of them as is appropriate for whatever the reasons.

Most of the time my work gets in the way of much I love to do via a fixed calendar, this includes following my beloved Manchester City whereby I can no longer justify buying a season ticket for them any longer. This is the same for the conventions at times, and many many other social occasions.

As said. I am a shift worker of a bizarre pattern, I have to simply work and live with that.

Politely I say,I hope this is the very last time I waste 10 minutes of my life both having to justify myself or having to continually explain my personal circumstances, all in the name of courtesy. [Wink]

[ November 12, 2016, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 12, 2016 02:01 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe

If there was one present convention I would really like to attend its your Cinesea.

Just to meet up "in person" to all those from this forum, eg Steve etc would be great, plus the chance to see a bit of the US at the same time. [Cool]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 04:21 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
You shouldn't have to keep explaining why you don't attend these conventions, i knew it was coming round to Blackpool as the questions started and strangely enough the same questions asked, hopefully you've finally cleared things up . Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 05:10 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just one week to this excellent event. looking forward to seeing everyone. the regulars and the first time visitors. for those interested, the next farnworth film fun day is on february 18th 2017 at the usual venue. another great film event in the north west.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 12, 2016 05:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope so too, thanks Mark.😊

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 10:06 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My comments were not directed at anyone more the undecided or the uninitiated who have never been to a convention. The other topic became tiresome long ago. Your assumption is neither wrong or right I have a vociferous appetite and indulge all formats. Somebody mentioned dress for the dinner it is very come as you no pjs or lyrca but don't be put off by the DVDs from 30 years ago most of the older tuxedos are in the projection room in the sky and the banter can be great. Even then attire varied dramatically from table to table.

I forgot to mention the cut and thrust of the infamous Blackpool auction where a bid or outbid over a prized offering can make you a lifetime foe.😜

I might even make an appearance at Blackpool now if circumstances permit I don't think my details are with Interpol yet although I assume I would have to buy a ticket to the dinner under an assumed name or risk arsenic like Dark Angel. 😍

So the sum up Blackpool Convention Great time Great Place Great Experience.

Cinesea if someone will tell me which State it is in the US might be a starter. We all know we are staying with Joe that weekend 😄 Would a wee lift to Winterset in Iowa be a inconvenience???

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2016 02:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CineSea is in New Jersey: it's like Jersey, just newer!

Iowa is something like a thousand miles westward.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 03:40 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well that's it fully booked up now all spaces are full
any one who will be their from sat I have films for sale from 4pm to 6pm

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where will you hold the sale David ?

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the convention room the queen suite

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 06:51 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully you'll have some films left for all the people that are travelling on the day David?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2016 07:03 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes 1000s

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 13, 2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - we already have four attendees from NI coming to the dinner, so if you're free and can book very soon, why not make it five? Unless you're convinced you have sworn enemies amongst our normally friendly crowd, I think you'll be perfectly safe. There hasn't been a death at the dinner since the rather unsuccessful 'murder mystery' element that Derann tried one year!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2016 02:51 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone going to Blackpool for this coming weekends film
show, dinner and convention for the first time, I thought it may be useful to give some simple directions to the venue the Hilton Hotel.
When you get into Blackpool Head for the Blackpool Tower you can hardly miss it.From the tower make your way onto the main road right on the sea front, looking straight out to sea, you will be facing WEST, now simply turn right, you are now facing North,go along the main road keeping the sea on your left hand side, travel about 2km.and you will see the Hilton Hotel, it's a tall detached modern building in it's own grounds. The main entrance is on the seaward side,but the hotels car park entrance is on the adjacent side road
there is a barrier across the car park entrance so you will need to take a ticket from the machine to raise the barrier.Once you are parked up there is an entrance into the hotel from the car park, go up the stairs or use the lifts,go up one floor for the reception desk.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2016 06:07 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pleased to confirm that I am fully booked up at this years event for dealer tables thankyou

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those using the trams the nearest tram stop is (believe it or not) "Wilton Parade".

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
only 24 hours to go to Blackpool [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
kinema king

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 02:42 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looking forward to meeting everyone and picking up 8mm and 16mm, i'll be there from midday Saturday

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC