8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Road

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Road
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 19, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have put off watching this movie for a very long time, but last night I thought, right lets watch it on the VP.

Without doubt this is one depressing movie, based on the Pulitzer winning novel by Cormac McCarthy, about a father "Viggo Mortensen" and his son played by a young Australian actor Kodi Smit McPhee, who without any coaching puts on a very convincing American accent.

Although the subject matter is depressing, and you can see why this film received a Restricted to 16 and over rating "The Road" does take you on a journey that's compelling viewing right to the end.

When I was watching it, I thought, what are they going to find if and when they get to the coast? how will this story finish?

But its more than that, its the story of hope and the bond between father and son in there quest just to survive. The acting of Viggo the father and young Kodi the son, is very convincing.

One traveler they meet on the journey, is an old man played by "Robert Duvall" and with make up on, its hard to pick up its him. Other cast members are equally as good.

All in all "The Road" is a movie that is quite different to anything I have watched before, although the content can be disturbing "its carefully done" and there is no bad language.

Although the film was released in 2009 I have never seen it, but glad that at last I got round to watching it.

Here are a couple of photos taken from the net.
 -
...Robert Duvall..Kodi Smit McPhee...and Viggo Mortensen
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2015 06:47 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I saw this in theaters when it first came out a few years back. Its a very well made movie. The overall theme is depressing (post-apocalypse), but does leave some room for hope in the end.

Another one like this is an 80's movie called "Testament". It takes place after a nuclear attack, and its actually harder to watch than "The Road". But still, worth watching, as its very well made an really engages the viewer.

James.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2015 02:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James

I will look out for that one [Smile]

Looking back at 'The Road" its interesting that there has been so many end of the world Hollywood films, but this one is the first I have seen where it takes this approach to the subject.

When you think, that without electricity, food production, medicine, drinking water etc, everything we take daily for granted was to be wiped out, would or could we survive?

In the film "The Road" takes away those very things. Being brought up in the 50s and 60s, and its hard to imagine now, but the threat of a nuclear exchange or biological war was very much on the cards back then.

Full marks to the cast and the film makers of "The Road", it attacks the subject in a very down to earth and scary way.

Regards Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC