8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Xmas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xmas
James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I havn`t been a member of this Forum for very long, but feel I have made some new friends here, so for all of you cine film friends, A Very Merry Christmas To You ALL & a prosperous new year.

Kind Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 23, 2015 07:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All the best James and welcome to the wonderful world of film collecting!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2015 03:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas everyone and a happy new year [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 24, 2015 03:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You too Kevin! Have a good one my friend. [Wink]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2015 04:02 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays for each member and family too. [Smile]

I'll be back on January now.

Phil

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 24, 2015 05:14 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S !

J O Y E U X N O Ë L !

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
ΚΑΛΑ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΥΓΕΝΝΑ !!!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 25, 2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to all and happy viewing in 2016!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2015 03:29 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to all and happy viewing in 2016!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 26, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Merry Christmas Here!

My wife decided she wanted to get me one of those nice heavy duty projector stands. Naturally they are all out of them down at Walmart (if they ever had them in the first place!) so she needed someone in the know.

She snuck into my cellphone, grabbed Doug Meltzer's number and texted him, and he graciously helped her find a nice one!

-

Once Again, here is just part of what's great about attending film conventions: the connections you make. You don't even need to be a film collector yourself!

It's a CineSea Miracle!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2015 03:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a fantastic Christmas present you got there Steve!
Very robust model.
Well done Steve's Wife, and of course, Doug. [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 26, 2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your wife is a fantastic person, Steve !

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2015 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: You have a thoughtful and very clever wife-you get a cool projector stand, and she gets her dining room table back! If only all spouses were this understanding ("no, honey, I always had a digest print of TRUE LIES").

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 26, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stand Steve and the perfect Xmas present. Enjoy! [Cool]

...and my niece gave me this cool "Home Theatre" sign for my cine room wall.

-

[ December 26, 2015, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 26, 2015 10:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant stand Steve, strong and portable [Smile]

Janice that looks great [Cool]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul wins the prize!

Actually part of what my wife wanted to do here was clear the dining room table, unfortunately the stand will not do two machines and a mixer panel: my normal operating setup.

-but

One of the things the stand is useful for is setting up a single machine (umm...) "auditorium" in the den which would allow me an alternate screen and maybe occupy the main floor a little less.

As for this week I'm afraid the situation has ratcheted up a notch! I threw in a couple of vacation days with my paid holidays and I have the whole week off. My goal for the next seven days is pure relaxation and a part of that is lots of film.

I'm going with two Elmo STs for changeovers and I'm adding in a Eumig/Bolex rigged full time for 'scope. I have 4 channels available on my mixer so I'm still not at "No Vacancy" in the sound department! (I could also rig the ST-1200HD for stereo with that last channel...So many wires!)

(Good thing we put the leaf it the dining room table the other day, and yes: I put it all away for company!)

-

The Santa hats on the chairs are my wife's idea. (That's MY compromise!)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 27, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice set up Steve! Enjoy the extra time off, I'm "well jell" to use an Essex colloquium!

Please let us know what you managed to screen and relax to while you're off work and I for one, will feel thoroughly entertained reading all about it when I'm in work these next four shifts. Especially NYE I hasten to add! [Smile] [Wink]

All the best for 2016 Steve and all other members in advance.

Enjoy!!!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 30, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interesting result of this little week long film festival is I'm finding (for some reason I can't really explain) the Eumig is doing a really great job in 'Scope.

The Eumig lens just seems more agreeable with my anamorphic than my Elmos and the sharpness is better. I have a Derann West Side Story extract I've never considered better than So-So until today.

The sound isn't quite as good, but I can work around that!

-I think this machine may have just found a specialty!

While I was at it, I took a few minutes to demonstrate to my kid how CinemaScope works and let him know why it exists in the first place (in two words: "Early Television")

-I doubt this information will get him a job someday, but if he's going to be a CineSea regular he may as well know his stuff!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 30, 2015 10:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant stuff Steve [Smile]

One of the strange things that happened over Christmas, and it was by accident, that I came across a Facebook page of the branch of Boys Brigade in Glasgow, the very one I was in, way back in 1963/64. Anyway the photo's they had posted brought back memories. One such photo had a youngster fishing out an apple with his teeth in the church hall.

That photo triggered of in me the time I had done the exact same thing in the same church hall but it was back in 1963/64. Anyway I started thinking [Roll Eyes] ..what was the name given, to what this youngster was doing.

Then it came to me for some strange reason..."dooking for apples" I thought "dooking" where in my memory did that word come from, so I thought lets google it. To my surprise I was right, there is such a thing as "dooking". After almost 52 years this word for the first time that I can remember, I was using it. In other places other than Scotland its known as "apple bobbing" has anyone here ever done it?

Its strange what can trigger of things in the old memory department of something like that word and the act of "dooking" with your hands behind your back... of so long ago.
 -
...from an old photo that includes me.. looking straight at the photo.. Second right, Second bottom row. 1963/64. [Smile]
...by the way if you are not sure what dooking an apple..or apple bobbing is all about, here is a photo from "Wikipedia"
 -

has anyone here ever done it? [Big Grin]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2015 02:53 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham. We used to play 'apple bobbing' or 'bobbing for apples' every year as kids in Wales. However, it wasn't done at Christmas but at Halloween.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 31, 2015 02:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan

You are right that its only done at Halloween, it was only a couple of days ago this Christmas that "triggered" of the word "dooking" not a common word, that came out of the old memory banks from 50 odd years ago. That's the bit that's strange [Roll Eyes] . Its weird what can come out of the depths of our memories. [Smile] ...must be an age thing [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC