8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Scrooge 1935 bluray question ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scrooge 1935 bluray question ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that someone out there, if they have this bluray release of Scrooge (1935 version), can answer a question for me ...

I have seen so many conflicting reports in reviews about this that I have to know, is this "restored" version of the film, the full 78 minute version, or the truncated 63 minute version?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 02:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrooge-DVD-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B00005T31A

Look at the first review here Osi. It mentions the formats and running times. Hopefully this may help you with any luck.

Cannot see a definitive answer for the Blu Ray disc though sorry.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the bluray that I'm talking about ...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scrooge-Blu-ray/29217/#Review

From various sources, I have read that it's either the shortened 63 minute version or the full length 78 minute version. I'm just curious as to which it is.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Fields
Junior

- posted January 13, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for John Fields   Email John Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
This review on Amazon refers to the blu-ray version with gold lettering and a candle on front (which looks like the version you are asking about). The review states that it is the edited 63 minute version.

Amazon

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That copy there Osi on your link claims its running time is 61 minutes.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 14, 2016 07:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. Just dug the disc out of the archive and the B&W film loaded runs for exactly 1 hour 9 seconds.
Included are the B&W cut version and colourised 1 hour 11 secs
Also a few cartoons of variable quality.
A second DVD of Christmas Wish.

For quality this is the best at the moment although the abridged version obviously. One day we may get the whole thing perhaps from our own film institute who seem to overlook the old stuff most of the time.

A long DVD is available also but the transfer was shocking I rarely watch it and tend to watch my 16mm print.

The Sims 1951 Blu-ray is appalling with so many issues & artefacts creeping in as it goes along which is a real pity. [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC