8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Can't believe Paul Foster read on (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Can't believe Paul Foster read on
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 06:48 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, to me that just about sums things up, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 07:07 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He might have got 16 months but by our system he will be probably out in 2 [Big Grin]

Graham S

I did buy a GS1200 Fuji blub from him which was no brighter than the EJL bulb. Im now wondering if this was fake [Roll Eyes]

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 07:10 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets face it he done wrong. we can all give our thoughts re his sentence. at the end of the day he was ripping people off. it didnt matter what he sold. he would sell to us all knowing they were counterfeit.lets see some common sense remarks for god sake.at the end of the day it was just sheer GREED. not happy at making a reasonable profit he wanted more. and didnt care who he sold dodgy items too. and reading some comments on here and another forum many are just bothered about where will they get there films etc from now. a bit pathetic to say the least.he knew what he was doing and has paid the price.

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 07:21 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do NOT mess with customs & excise!!!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 07:29 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the message on his ebay shop it has "This Shop seller is currently away. Please add this Shop to your favourites so that you can visit again." No mention of where and for how long he is away.
His film-only web site is still up though, no mentions of any trouble there so I wonder how many people will try to buy from there? 19 years trading (was that when he left Derann?)and now this.......

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 08:12 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad new [Frown]

--------------------
Dominique

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 08:19 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the details of the case I think the reason a sentence was passed down is because "profit money" is still missing. I also remember loads of DVDs being sold by him on EBAY two or three years ago.

Wonder did he move into selling DVDs because the film side had slowed? He isn't be the first dealer to be caught out with trading standards or copyright problems but I think he is the first to see prison.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 08:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
As I say Mike, I doubt anyone could run a business selling only film nowadays and make any kind of livelihood from it, so I think you're probably correct in your assumptions.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 09:30 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where has everyone been. he has been selling dvds for years. why the assumption only now that you could not make a living just selling film.i would have thought that was obvious to us all some years ago. nothing new here.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 09:47 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Any ideas what's happening to his film stock - and will he be able to continue trading - someone must be on the look out for all that Super 8mm and 16mm that he still had on his lists. I bought some great stuff from Paul over the years - but as people have said during these posts - you really have to watch yourself and try not to overstep the official tax and excise duties - it will bite you in the proverbiall's !!!!!!

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 09:52 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look out for next police auction sale. [Eek!]

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 10:03 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree that it is over the top. However, he should have known what he was getting himself into. It has been a while since I watched a DVD, but I recall an FBI warning against unauthorized production and/or distribution, punishable by 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 10:53 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the forum members on here are reading the article in the paper reporting that paul has got 16 months jail .read it carefully as what he did was wrong as if someone on here had bought a dvd top of the range vid projector and later found out it was a copy you would all have to something to say the judge said he was supprised that he was selling pirate dvds as much as legigamate ones then paul said when you take out the commission and pay the vat there is not much profit left so was ok to do this .I think he was given the sentence one for selling dvds but more serious than this was earning £100 thousand but he tried to cover his tracks by having them delivered at different address ,we all do things sometimes to make a quick buck I work very hard for the money I earn building up dodgems and waltzers throughtout the summer months getting bogged down in muddy fields with lorries etc .I wish I could just press a button and press record and all my rides built up them selves then every 3 mins or so earn £15.00 a time ,there is one good thing he should be out by may all being well if he is a good boy ,so it will give all your forum members a chance to order you dvds paul is a tough cookie and will come bouncing back maybe

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 11:16 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good post Mr. David Guest.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David in my opinion after all this i think anyone would be crackers to buy from him if he did start selling again. he has now shown his true colours.he didnt mind who bought from him as long as they paid big bucks.he has deceived his customers and those who looked on him as a friend.he has let them and the hobby down badly, and knowingly sold counterfeit items to them. anyone with common sense would stay well clear in the future. and David your so right. if any member on here had bought a so called top of the range HD PROJECTOR and then found out they had been sold a counterfeit one. just how would you feel . just because its dvds doesnt make the deceit any better. you have still been badly decieved.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Tom ...

While I obviously do not know all the particulars of this case (and mind you, just because we read something on the internet doesn't mean we have all the facts, though I'm sure that being he was prosecuted, he MUST be guilty of something, and in some cases, even that can be debatable ... I hope that's doesn't sound like politics, Doug ... [Smile] ) ...

... I think that this is a case of "Let's make an example out of this guy!" situation, as the prison term does sound quite excessive.

One things for sure, we have lost a fellow collector at least for awhile, and a seller as well, and there are not a lot of them around anymore. [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked Paul. I've bought 16mm and 8mm from him over the years and on the rare occasion I wasn't totally happy with the film, he took it back and refunded me without any questions at all.

However, if he has broken the law, I guess he has to pay the price.
Nevertheless, I'm sorry to hear it.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, Your experiences in dealing with Paul, exactly mirror those of my own.

Your sentiments also reflect exactly how I feel regarding all of this.

It's a very sad day indeed for our hobby for the very reasons Mike points out below.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 12:42 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul was convicted of copyright and distribution of counterfeit DVDs. There were no issues with him doing anything underhand with 8mm and 16mm but judging from the inspiring comments from some parts it's safe to say film collectors are effectively down to two full time dealers in th UK. Independent 8 and Classic. eBay and conventions being the other avenue to buy and sell films and equipment.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. i dont know where you get the idea he was a fellow collector. Paul Foster hasnt collected film or dvd blu ray for several years. he just sells. buying very cheap and selling with high profit margins. that has now been his downfall. GREED. and he is now paying the price.there are no excuses for it. he has been well and truly caught.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Paul had a Xenon GS that was his own and he had no intentions of selling it he informed me. He spoke of how long he had waited to find one in the first place, so he said, despite having several offers for it, he wasn't wanting to part with it.

From this information alone, I'd say Paul must have had some interest in films and associated equipment.
He had a tremendous amount of film and equipment on each gauge each visit I made.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your so wrong Andrew. so so wrong. i find it odd that there are so many here who say they know the man. but dont really know him at all.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well i can only say what I was told Paul. I witnessed with my own eyes the films and equipment.

I don't say I knew him well, because I didn't.
After all, I was just another customer to him. But what I will say is he was always very welcoming and accommodating towards myself and he certainly never did me personally any disservice in the same way Michael reported likewise earlier.

I remember one particular Christmastime when Paul was awash with DVD sales and was rushed off his feet, he still managed to take a little time out for me for a few cine items I wanted from him.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 01:11 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a good job you didnt get any dvds then Andrew.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No,to be fair Paul, I didn't.

I have never had any real interest in trying to obtain Blu Ray discs or DVD discs for any less than they already cost.
I find places like Amazon sell them really cheap as it is,so I tend to only ever get them from these type of places now.

Previously, I used to get hundreds from Blockbuster when they were having a clear out. These usually went for peanuts.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC