8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Can't believe Paul Foster read on (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Can't believe Paul Foster read on
Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 07:42 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are probably right Mike. you can almost guarantee there will be several total idiots waiting to buy there treasured little film find from such a foolish foolish person.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 07:54 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

As the Gloria Estefan song goes "We seal our fate with the choices we make"

Mike

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 09:12 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter the format or the hobby, or desire one has to own a particular title, copyright is copyright, period. As much as some want to deny it, film-making is a business, and the resulting product isn't something that one has the "right" to do whatever they want with it, particularly turning a profit from pirated copies of that product.

I've also heard the argument that film studios wouldn't go after something as piddly as pirated Super 8 prints struck from an unauthorized negative/source. I've been in the broadcasting/communications industry for over 30 years, and have seen instances where piracy has been pursued and prosecuted for doing far less.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it's been commented on yet, (I just don't have time to read all 5 pages of this now, wow, this might be a record post on the forum for speed of posts, eh Doug?) ...

But I'm betting that, whether fair or unfair, being that the powers that be have got Paul Foster, and knowing that he was a film collector/seller, perhaps they will also scrutinize those very few other film sellers, legitimate film sellers that haven't done a single thing wrong and therefore, make they're lives crap, whether for the long term or short, so my heart goes out to those who may or may not, end up having undo scrutiny because of Paul ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 01:38 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of wonder if they will go over his film customers lists. I have purchased a considerable amount of film prints from Paul in the past. I still think that many films fall into the grey area as far as being legal to own even in this video digital age. Do you think they will confiscate his film prints as well?

Tom

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 01:41 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is more disturbing about this is that you could argue that his secondhand films and equipment have been bought with the proceeds of crime ?.How could he dismiss the two could overlap at some point, he has stated that he does more business selling dvd's on ebay, so does this mean his film purchase's have at some point only been possible because of the success of this other enterprise?. I think he may have an hard time convincing the CPS, when he gets out. The hornets nest has been well and truly poked.

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 01:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only time will tell guys if he does carry on dealing its such a shame he was holding a film for me couldn't afford it at the time but he said he would hold it for for a month it's a wonderful life have been after it for ages

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 01:53 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a quote from my friend del boy
je neis seiz quoz poqoui avec mon le hon
routhly translated it means
he who sicks his nose in a bee hive will get more than a nostril full of honey

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 02:11 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old religious film produced in the 60's in the U.K. The library and all associated with it long since gone. A Church asked me to run the print in their evening service. I checked the building over and found it far too light for film projection, so I had a dvd copy made at considerable expense. On the day all went well and a bright picture was enjoyed by all. On going to retrieve the disc the IT man proudly told me he'd copied it to his hard-drive and shown it from that. Now, he could make copies to dispose of as he wished. You can imagine how I felt. About as happy as the folk who found their work being sold by an unauthorised persons for personal profit . Now, isn't that called stealing?

--------------------
Dave

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope we don't need to get too paranoid for ourselves. Paul was selling at a profit counterfeit copies of modern DVDs like 'Downtown Abbey'. A current format illegal version of a very current show and deceiving the customs in the process. And the figures of profit were in the tens of thousands. It doesn't seem the photographic film or even other DVDs were part of it because they have all reappeared for sale.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take it you boys will be double locking your doors tonight. I hear 3am raids by NCA / FBI agents are the most popular. Make sure you have fresh underwear left out. I believe you have one phone call after they read you your rights👮👮👮

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I intended to buy a Filmguard bottle from Paul Foster next week so I was Lucky I was warned by the forum that Paul was not able to sell anything at the moment.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 04:20 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure, from some TV programmes, that trading standards officers bust many sellers at car boot sales etc. a week. This is just a bit (lot?) bigger and better publicised.

They are after people for this all the time, this one won't make much difference

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2016 11:36 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see paul is back on ebay selling films and dvds has anyone got his new address tried contacting cell block h but no reply

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 24, 2016 12:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I have just done likewise from Jack Roe (Jackro). It was a little bit cheaper this time than I've previously paid from either here or Paul.

They also said they are committed to continuing to stock this cleaner while ever it remains available, which is good news for us all here.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 24, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, does he have a website ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 24, 2016 01:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They do yes Dominique. I will post a link here when I'm on the pc.
I can type it instead Dominique.

It's www.cinemasupplies.co.uk

Oh that was good, it turned into an active link once I manually typed it! [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 24, 2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that, Andrew.

--------------------
Dominique

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2016 05:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Monkhouse wasn't selling any films in his
Collection they were for his own personal use.
If you break the Law there's no excuse for it, its just greed

--------------------
t.smith

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2016 07:11 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A heavy fine would have been more just but the sentence was obviously intended to make an example of him.

--------------------
Paul.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely agree with Paul. Far better to hit him financially than have the tax payer have the burden of keeping him in the pen at huge cost.
Having said that I am so surprised and disappointed by his actions. Such a pity.

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2016 06:25 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judges typically have far more information at their disposal before sentencing than the press report,it seems to me that there was much more going on that we're not privy to.

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 04:16 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see paul foster is off ebay again I suppose its hard to run a business from cell block h

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 05, 2016 01:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I keep having this message : Jack Roe (CS) Ltd

Currently it is not possible to purchase on our website. Please contact us on:
I was hoping it would be ok after some times but it isn't :-(

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 05, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I telephoned them Dominique for my order. Have you tried that method?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC