8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Am I in the wrong place?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I in the wrong place?
Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have become the archivist for our extended families. I have an amateur level background in both stills and computers. This means that photos, slides, negatives, documents, and video has been easy for me to restore and digitize.
Now I have thousands of feet of 8mm and Super8 film to work on. I keep finding your forum when searching for info but now that I am here, I am not sure that I belong. I do need help, as I am hitting a steep learning curve but I do not want to tresspass.

If there is a different forum where I won't be pestering others, please let me know.

--------------------
Barb

I'm an amateur noob. Please be gentle.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 01, 2016 09:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara
If you have an interest in 8mm film, then you are in the correct place.
Welcome.
There are many members who are always glad to answer any questions concerning film.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 01, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning Barbara,

This is a social setting and therefore when we fail to be friendly we are missing the mark!

(We'll find Mark eventually, he's probably just hanging out with Matthew, Luke and John!)

We are pretty respectable in the business of projector repair, and some of our members have a lot of interest in telecine too.

-so I think you are in the right place.

The fact that we come up so commonly in searches has interesting consequences: a year or so back I was at my son's Boy Scout meeting when one of the other Dads walked up to me and asked:

"Can you help me with my projector?"

-guess how he knew!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 10:00 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barbara,

Welcome to the Forum,
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 01, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are in great company here Barbara with Maurice, Steve, James and the gang.

Fire away and you will be amazed, I'm certain, by the depth of knowledge the members collectively have here.

It truly is a fabulous place to visit for anyone with even an ounce of interest in film. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 10:12 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Barbara! It isn't all guys on here, either. Janice Glesser you will find helpful and knowledgeable and on telecine too if I remember correctly.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 10:34 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"In space no one can eat ice cream..."

Steve,
Are you too young or too old to remember astronaut ice cream?

--------------------
Barb

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 01, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Barbara! I ditto the previous comments. We try to help as much as we can. Telecine in a very broad subject and has been discussed at length on this forum and other sites on the web. I suggest you do some initial searching here in the archives to see what has already been discussed and comeback with any questions you might have. I'm sure we can get you started in the right direction.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Barbara! This forum is a really good place for information on telecine. I myself have years of experience both professionally and on my own amateur basis. Janice is correct that telecine is a rather broad subject. We are all here to help, answer questions and share knowledge.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 11:36 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara, you are the first person to comment on my signature! It is of course a play on the advertising tagline from ALIEN which was 'In space no one can hear you scream.' It was used as the tagline on that classic film KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE. This is the kind of love of obscurity that you will find on this forum...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2016 08:27 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I know the Aliens tagline but I didn't like or hate Killer Klowns enough to remember it's tagline.
I bet my husband does. I'll check tonight.

--------------------
Barb

Phil Betts
Junior

- posted February 02, 2016 01:00 PM      Profile for Phil Betts   Email Phil Betts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barb, from one Newbie to another!!

--------------------
I don't feel like an old man. I feel like a young man with something wrong.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC