8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Another Earthquake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Earthquake
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 13, 2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks what a day [Eek!] I was down at the Heritage Park working on the projector, talking to visitors then...wham out of the blue, a magnitude 5.7 came through from only 13km east of here from a depth of 14km so I have been told, boy did that building shake rattle and roll for quite a while

That's the first time since 2011 that anything that strong has come through. Got home and was surprised to find how far some stuff had been thrown. Anyway power and water is still going which is great and everything else apart from our nerves is fine, still lots of smaller after shocks going on, just the thing to keep everyone on there toes.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2016 08:21 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of you Graham.When will it ever end?

--------------------
Trevor

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2016 08:53 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...sad to hear, I am glad you are both alright. I hope there is no more damage done.

Bill

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 13, 2016 09:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Trevor and Bill.

Everything seems fine at the moment but with this kind of thing you just never know what's round the corner.

This will once again make people jumpy about still living here, Auckland might be the better place to live [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 01:29 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be frightening :-(

--------------------
Dominique

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 03:19 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God you and your family are OK. Especially after the re-build you finished not to long ago.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 04:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2016 10:03 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear about it but glad you are all o.k. Graham. I sometimes wonder if "mother nature" is trying to tell us human beings something with all the destruction we have allowed to happen to the environment over the past century or so. Ken Finch.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 12:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone

No more during the night and thankfully no one was killed yesterday. All our house repairs has stood up really well as much of the repairs bridges and roads around the city from 2011.

The Heritage Park is only a couple of miles along the coast from where some of the cliffs came down and like most things close to the coast are in the direct firing line to that of shore fault line. I think I will skip going down there for a while [Smile]
 -
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 02:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear Graham that your night was a peaceful one.
Here's hoping for many many more.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2016 05:50 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that a friend who moved back to this area is also OK, thank goodness.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 15, 2016 10:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear you got through it OK, Graham.

We are pretty quiet here seismically. When an East Coaster goes out to California and a minor tremor passes through, we dive for the floor and the Left Coast folks wonder what the fuss is about.

-but every time some tropical storm gets named down in the Caribbean we know all about the forces of Nature.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2016 12:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also glad Graham that you and your home are safe and sound. Being a San Francisco Bay Area resident...I too have experienced several major quakes. I still remember during our big '89 quake grabbing my two sons and huddling under the kitchen table. The house was rockin' and rollin' which seemed like an eternity. I put my hands on the floor and felt it move up and down beneath me. We listened to the damage reports on the radio and watched newsreel footage of the Oakland Bay Bridge collapsing and the double-decker freeway that collapsed onto rush-hour commuters. This has left me claustrophobic to this day. I still get anxious driving under over-passes and in covered parking structures. Californians might not admit it...but I don't think anyone gets use to the helpless feeling during a quake.

On a lighter note...I also remember just 5 minutes before the '89 quake hit...I received a phone call with a job offer. My joke is that the offer wasn't that "earth shaking" [Smile] However, I did take the job and was there for 20 years [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 15, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a magnitude 5+ quake in Virginia (200 miles away?) about 5 years ago.

By the time it got up here it was just a twitch in the floor a couple of times a minute.

-meanwhile I'm sitting at my desk in a rollered chair on a tile floor and the room kept jumping a quarter inch this way and that way underneath me.

With my level of earthquake experience the best I could guess is "Am I having a stroke?!"

Then again when you are a rookie employee at a high energy physics lab...

-but all of a sudden my wife called from fifty miles away.

"Did you feel THAT?!"

A friend happened to be on his boat while this was going on. He had absolutely no idea anything was happening until he docked.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2016 03:54 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham. I was thinking of you when I saw this on the news.
Take care.
ps Auckland may be safer earthquake-wise but house prices have gone crazy there, haven't they? I couldn't afford to return there now.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 15, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone

Janice
You are absolutely right about feeling that way about driving on a underpass, or underground carparks etc, you do get conditioned that way to think "what if" and that feeling never really goes away. Its a bit like watching the severed head in "Jaws". I still jump at that bit, and that's after 40 years, once again its conditioning from 1975 [Smile]

Steve
I was going to suggest you should come out here for a holiday to get away from all that snow [Roll Eyes] mmmmmm thinking about it, you are better of with the snow [Smile]

I was speaking to a lady yesterday, she told me her husband was watching the sports channel on TV and eating corn on the cob from "side to side" in his mouth at the same time, when the Sunday one hit. The TV went off and the corn cob went across the side of his mouth "side to side" without him having to do it himself. Its stories like that that make me smile.

The main thing though is no one got injured. The kids doing there lifeguard training on the cliffs, when rocks started falling down on them were extremely lucky by taking refuge inside a cave until it was over.
 -

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 09:28 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So happy to hear you are ok Graham!!
We have friends in Christchurch who were fine as well, but these quakes seem to be picking up near you....
Today I am shoveling snow like crazy but with each shovel full, I think of you guys in NZ and it makes the shoveling more manageable when all is in perspective!
Glad everyone is okay!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 18, 2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our best wishes to you over here in Mountain Home, Idaho, graham, to you and the fam. We're literally in a earthquake free zone here, so if you ever get a desire to move to the U.S. this would be a great place to settle.

(I better know on wood, just to on the safe side).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 18, 2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a significant increase in earthquakes in the USA in areas where hydraulic fracking for oil and gas is occurring. In my opinion fracking is a ticking time bomb that will result in unbelievable environmental damage in a few decades. Can you believe that the oil and gas lobbyists are now on a crusade to permit hydraulic fracking in Florida, where the peninsula geology is basically like a piece of swiss cheese, with thousands of sink holes, and the subterranean aquifer has the purest water in the country. Absolute lunacy!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they managed to produce an earthquake tremor at Blackpool a few years ago when they were fracking I dread to imagine what they will manage to do on major stress points around the world not to mention the damage to water tables are getting with the grunge they are pumping in to get the oil /gas extracted. Wait until the Chinese get started in the China sea. Think I remember reading an earthquake tsunami effectively ended the Last China empire in 1556 . But of course they no better than us [Eek!]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they are still pushing fracking when we have a glut of oil- it's been there millions of years why go for it now with potentially dangerous techniques? Wait until it is really needed and safety can be improved.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 06:36 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our best wishes to you over here in Mountain Home, Idaho, graham, to you and the fam. We're literally in a earthquake free zone here, so if you ever get a desire to move to the U.S. this would be a great place to settle.

(I better know on wood, just to on the safe side).

Osi, your not completely immune to earthquakes in Mountain Home, don't forget about the 1983 Borah Peak earthquake. You may not be on a fault but that one was felt in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Canada...

The Central Idaho Seismic Zone

Sorry Osi, I studied Geology at WSU, we spent a lot of time looking at Idaho Geology.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC