8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Film remakes that you think shouldn't have been made (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film remakes that you think shouldn't have been made
Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Producer's is also another remake hash. The original cast, Zero Mostel, gene wilder, and that little old lady, ula the dancing secretary, and the cast of Springtime for Hitler. Just casting genius by Mel Brooke, getting people to look like them in a remake, is a non starter, you only compare them, and there is no comparison.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 12:24 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick film "The Producers" was not a remake of the original film but a film version of the wonderful musical show Mel Brooks made which he based on his film. It's a fantastic film in its own right, with great songs and stellar performances from the excellent cast and does not intend to replace the earlier and equally excellent film with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel. For anyone who hasn't seen it I can really recommend it for any lovers of film musicals.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 18, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Psycho has already been mentioned and I agree with Bill Phelps...it was a failed experiment. However, two other poor remakes come to mind. The first is the The Goodbye Girl (2004) with Jeff Daniels and Patrica Heaton which in no way could match the energy and charisma of Richard Dryfuss and Masha Mason from the original The Goodbye Girl (1977).

Next is the movie Love Affair (1994) with Warren Beatty and Annette Benning... this movie was a remake of An Affair to Remember (1957) ...which actually was a remake of Love Affair (1939). The 1939 version was good at the time, however the 1957 Cary Grant and Debra Kerr version will always be the remembered classic. The Warren Beatty version was a sleeper and lacked any of the original humor or emotional connection between the characters.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 02:59 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Psycho" the Remake...the only film I've ever walked out of a theatre from.

Shot by shot copy by Gus Van Sant, but then Vince Vaughn doing the dirty.

A total waste of time and talent; what the **** were they thinking?

Not a homage, a plagiarism.

Not a re-invention, a total over-stated dumb down.

If I had a 35mm print I'd burn it.

Shame on them all. [Big Grin]

Hope it paid their tax bills.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 03:14 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only part of the Pyscho remake I thought was clever was when Gus did his cameo at the same place as the original he was outside the bank and there is a Hitch lookalike pointing his finger at him as if to say......naughty boy!

Bill [Smile]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 05:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That remake was colour, wasn't it? Another excuse to downgrade from the original.
I saw the end of "The Mechanic" remake, it didn't look like an improvement.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 18, 2016 05:48 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim............

That's the one I lost! [Eek!]

So that's where it ended up? [Confused]

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 11:34 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing so absurd as to remake a film unless there can be a major improvement upon the original. So few ever do. The Maltese Falcon is one exception where the remake became the classic.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2016 11:52 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Young has your lost Time Machine,Pasq

with Mr. Ed

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC