8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Gimsby Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gimsby Movie
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 27, 2016 07:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm not much of a fan of Cohen I was looking forward to the film Grimsby coming to our screen, not that I visit the flicks a great deal now. My interest was that Grimsby is right next to Cleethorpes so we do go through Grimsby on the way to CHC open days. [Big Grin] As we took our seats in a packed cinema on opening day, well 20 of us I wondered what we were in for. Filming was carried out mainly in Essex and South Africa both quite a distance from Grimsby it has to be said but hey ho.

Grimsby is noted for its fish market, sorting and probably one of the finest UK facilities around open 24 hours a day all year. The heritage centre is well worth a visit by the way is you go to CHC open days.

Anyhow, the film. Once the how wonderful Sony 4K is advertising had finished the film, sorry hard drive was in motion and I was looking forward to it. The storyline is broadly about two brother separated in youth, one turns out to be a MI6 assassin and the other Nobby a dad with 9 children following in his footsteps and somewhat loving his local football team. The humour is broad to say the least at times but the movie did have some side splitting sequences which had me laughing non stop, even leaving the cinema.

Mark Strong was very entertaining as the agent brother but I did feel as though Johnny Vegas could have been given more screen time along with a few other comedy names. It had a clear storyline and the secret agent thing worked well at least for us.

Locally there was an outcry by locals prior to the films release that is showed Grimsby in a bad light, but the Cleethorpes premiere local people were saying they liked it according to the press. What it did show was how important family was and it came across loud and clear. I'd be interested to know how well the film travels outside the UK, as we found with the Carry on movies, they don't always make it elsewhere.

The film end credits ran and then another short sequence hit the screen for which only two of us were left. I'm guessing for me the film made a nice change from pumping sound and stacked CGI.
8/10

Finally leaving the screen another round of Sony 4K advertising ran.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2016 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee

I live in Grimsby - and indeed work for local mental health services (Open Minds) in a branch that is about half a mile from Phils CHC Shop.

I am also a big Grimsby Town Football club fan and was about when Cohen was down doing his research in one of the local pubs on a notorious "rough" area of Grimsby that once new better times - Freeman St. This street has a lot of pubs many barely running or disused due to our fishing industry being no more (both my Father and Grandfather were fishermen.)

I and I know a lot of other locals will not be watching this film - Cohen was welcomed by a lot of the locals and I think he took advantage of people on hard times...and yes a few he met are impoverished and have a lot of issues. The TV series "Skint" did represent this particular area of Grimsby VERY accurately. That is a fact - I have worked with the client group in the past. It is a very sad and unfortunate set of circumstances to say the least and does not deserve being "sent up" or otherwise...no matter how much Cohen tries to defend it.

[Frown]

P.S. outside this particular area (East Marsh) Grimsby and Cleethorpes actually has a lot going for it as you will probably know yourself Lee if you have been here.

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 27, 2016 07:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark. One of the great things I've always loved about our coastal towns is the rich history and that applies to Grimsby, its just a question if people take the time to seek it out. With the River Haven, coming of the railway in 1848, Duke of York Gardens not to mention the Fish link it has a great deal of interesting points and have a soft spot for it. Sadly its the same all over with many places being neglected also around here as well. They made a 6 part doc series about our football team which was not exactly favourable but that's the box these days. [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC