8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » French television archives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: French television archives
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 07, 2016 06:53 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very interesting subject in the news today. They showed the INA (Institut National de l'Audiovisuel)building, where the archives are kept. I was surprised to see that still have the original 16mm films on spools. They showed, as you can imagine, an Ali Baba's cave full of films ! Some spools have just been rediscovered and the man who works there (well, one of them) was redoing the faulty splices.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2016 07:37 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine they are short of money for copying them. However there is a big advantage in preserving films on 16mm as this a world standard nearly 100 years old.

No one knows how long the current digital video standards will last and they may not be playable in 20 years time.

--------------------
Paul.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2016 07:43 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only longevity concerns would be fading and possible oxide shedding if they were mag prints. A damn sight easier to work with than some out of date video codec!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 07, 2016 10:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The journalist annouces the subject at 33:09. It is in French as you may have guessed but you will see the films at 34:58.
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/replay-jt/france-2/13-heures/jt-de-13h-du-lundi-7-mars-2016_1337893.html

--------------------
Dominique

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...what a paradise for the film archivist...

--------------------
Yannis

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2016 07:30 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is alot of 16mm films and many just waiting to be rediscovered :-)

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 16, 2016 03:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw. It seems that the Belgian television has also an archives room full with cine spools. On Wednsday (so today) night there is an informations programme. The second subject of the magazine was the conspiracies on the Net. This subject was annouced by the journalist from this Belgian's Ali Baba's cave.

--------------------
Dominique

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't I learn French? What was the fellow saying. Looking at the state of some of the films he was repairing I reckon he'll have a job for life!!

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC