8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The re-make of Ben-Hur

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The re-make of Ben-Hur
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 05:45 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They said it could never happen:

ht tp://www.imdb.com/title/tt2638144/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2436365822&pf_rd_r=1CZ6ZYPRH0F0A5K6W7P2&pf_rd_s=hero&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_hp_cap_pri_1

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just watched trailer. kept expecting MAD MAX to appear.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilligan's Island came uncomfortably close to becoming a feature film.

-in a universe where that could happen...anything is possible!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 17, 2016 09:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A remake of cinematic perfection? They could have at least set it in Grimsby

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 03:22 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume you were referring to the 1925 BEN HUR Lee, which is the infinitely better film!

(To be fair, I saw a 35mm print projected and the score was provided by a live orchestra conducted by Carl Davis who composed a superb modern orchestral score for it).

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 17, 2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew about this near two years ago, asked my agent to send me in - Naturally, nothing came of it

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 5 versions of the story on film and TV. The Heston one itself is of course a re-make, BUT... is the best and most famous. That's Hollywood.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 12:45 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Heston's when first released. It was shot exactly the way Hateful Eight was shot. This looks like a TV movie.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2016 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heston is rolling in his grace ...

"Get You're Filthy hands Off Of My Film You G*ddamn Dirty Apes!!"

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 18, 2016 05:15 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Had to stop watching the trailer. Oh Gawd.

I`m putting the 59 Blu Ray on tomorrow night to put me back right.

Best Mark.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 18, 2016 07:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

https://youtu.be/N983kHgvjQQ

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 08:59 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the use of so much CGI when it feels completely unnecessary. What ever happened to designing beautiful sets, or choosing the best locations to film.... I guess like the switch to digital it's about cutting cost and time

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2016 11:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind, as long as it works well in the storyline and the CGI doesn't look obvious. I know that there are those that disagree, but I think that one of the best uses of CGI was in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, especially in the Gollum character.

Peter Jacksons "Kong" was also a good use. I mean, puppetry and animatics can only display so much real emotion, where a CGI character can show so much more. I felt that Jackson's Kong was a very real character in the film, and you actually felt for the big lug, where in the original Kong, though a classic, I was always distracted from any emotions Kong was showing because, well, I KNEW he was a stop motion puppet.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Hur: The Shakycam Edition.

Just another comic book adrenaline movie, or just the trailer?

The older version is one of the exceptional "biblical epics" that refuses to show the face of Christ. Not so here.

Not used to rock music in biblical epics. No, I don't care for "Jesus Christ Superstar," either.

August? Couldn't make it for Easter weekend? Batman vs. Superman needed some competition.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC