8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DLP TV shutting down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DLP TV shutting down
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 11:04 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one of these from our neighbor for free it's a magnavox dlp rear projection tv it has worked great up until last fall when I turn it on it stays on for a minute then the whole system shuts down then it turn on the power and repeat this 6-9 times before it stays on I have replaced the bulb twice the ballast and the power board anybody with experience like Steve have an idea as to what to try next.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 21, 2016 04:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

I sounds something like a cooling fan is a little sticky and until it gets up to speed there isn't enough cooling air and the TV is going into thermal shutdown to protect itself.

Fans are basically the worst part of many electronic systems for operating lifetime: very often they are the only moving parts inside and the only thing subject to wear and tear.

While you are in there please clean out dust and other blockages to cooling air (dirty fan filters?). Even a healthy fan can only do so much if the thing is congested!

If it was something more modern I'd be tempted to call it "firmware". This is nasty because basically it's the results of somebody else's thoughts (-things don't "function", they "behave"!) and it starts to become almost a matter of psychology.

-the one good part of it is I don't work on that and when it happens to me I get to send it back to the programmers!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2016 04:27 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had trouble with a cooling system that was traced to the air inlet grill being blocked with dust and possibly my theatre club's LCD video projector had the same trouble with its air filter.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2016 03:33 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It did do that in the summer it shut down and I noticed the inlet/outlets were blocked by dust once I cleaned them out it worked fine. This latest incident started last fall I see the exhaust fan spins and the fan under the bulb is also spinning. Is there a certain speed these should be spinning? Fast medium slow?

--------------------
jim schrader

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 21, 2016 03:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to say really: the real answer is "fast enough".

-but when is "enough" enough?

(Then again, isn't "enough" always enough?!!)

One thing to check for is the sound of the fans. They will get louder as they fail.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2016 04:51 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can hear one or both of them working they speed up when needed. I was told to check voltage from the ballast (which comes from the power board) to see what the voltage was I got a reading of 311v and was told it should be 360-380v but don't get that when its warmed up and stays on its definitely a cold starting problem.

--------------------
jim schrader

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2016 06:26 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked the fan under the lamp to which it was spinning last time I checked this time I stuck a mirror underneath to see it spin and it was dead, so then I had to get to the lamp housing the get at the fan it was a challenge but got it out ordered 2 fans that were close to the original as I could find I did have to splice and solder the old end on to the new one hooked it up temporary to see if it would spin and sure enough it did so I put it all back together and put the lamp back in and turned it on and waited for it to go off.......it stayed on 😀 Now that I got that fixed its a good feeling thanks for all your inputs Steve was the closest with his diagnosis thanks.

[ August 19, 2016, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC