8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodak's New Super 8 Camera.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak's New Super 8 Camera.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 11:20 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'd all agree that Kodak's upcoming new super camera is very exciting, but there remain some very basic, but as yet unanswered issues.

Firstly, Kodak offer a digital scan of the film, which is fine as that is how most new users will probably be working with the results, but they haven't even mentioned what quality the scan is (2K?). Also, Kodak reps repeatedly state that you get the film back to "project". But all current Kodak stock is negative? I suppose you could project it, but...

They really have to start making clear the film run time. 50ft at 18 fps is 3mins 20 secs and at 24fps is 2mins 40secs. But all sorts of run times are being stated (even 15 mins!!). Perhaps they are a little scared at the notion of $50.00 - $75.00 for what many potential customers may perceived as a very short run time. But they really do have to start making this very clear.

Aspect ratio - 4:3 in this day and age? Really? Any comments from Kodak on this...nope.

The audio is interesting; recorded on an SD card. Makes sense in this day and age as we'll never see pre-stripe mag again I fear. Should be fairly easy to sync with the scan, but are Kodak doing that as part of the digital scanning process, or does the consumer do that with the digital file after processing?

Lots of fairly basic, yet oddly unaddressed questions.

Never the less, still an exciting move from the big K.

What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 11:49 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The camera is Super 8 MAX, so it's about 1.58:1 aspect ratio. Also, Kodak still sells B/W reversal film (Tri-X) and AGFA and Pro 8mm sell color reversal stock.

P.S. 4:3 to 2.76:1 it's all still cinema regardless of apect ratio.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Raleigh, thanks for the useful info. How does super 8 MAX differ from a normal super 8 frame? Does it use more of the area previously used for balance stripe?

Of course, you are indeed right, there is Kodak B&W reversal; I forgot about that, its an age thing! But Kodak aren't really making the issue with colour negative stock very clear. Simply saying you get the film back to project is a bit, well, misleading?

I know about colour reversal from other manufacturers, but they wouldn't be part of the proposed Kodak package of development and scanning, so I doubt current super 8 users with decent cameras would be tempted by Kodak's new camera and work-flow. But maybe I'm wrong?

You're right, of course, it's all cinema, and I for one am very excited about the whole thing. I do hope they will launch it across Europe. But it seems the main intention is for enthusiasts, students and indeed pros to shoot new super 8 and work with a digital scan. For that reason, how many will be disappointed to find that it isn't wide enough to fit a standard 16:9 display? Especially considering the cost of film stock.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 12:42 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who want this know film. I don't think anyone interested in this will be surprised by anything.

MAX uses the area for the sound stripe.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raleigh, I've been shooting 8mm since I was 6 years old. I have a diploma in photo chemical photography and a degree in television production.

I work as a broadcast cameraman with experience of shooting 16mm for production, all manner of video production and current HD production and work flow.

I'm very interested in this and yet I am very surprised by the many factual omissions by Kodak thus far.

Quote,

"MAX uses the area for the sound stripe".

So, main stripe area is used? Of course I didn't mean balance stripe! Another senior moment!!

But surely not all, as there must be some area still used for gate pressure?

EDIT: Thanks to your comments, I did a little research which may prove useful for others;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jizt4nWuEGw

Thanks again, Raleigh.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 01:37 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you do the sound syncing yourself, in post. You only send the film in to Kodak, not the SD card.

P.S. What I meant earlier when I said no one will be surprised, is that this product isn't geared towards the home movie market, really.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 07:35 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The members of this forum know more about Super 8 than the Kodak reps and reporters I have seen on the demo videos. Granted, they are at the "prototype stage", but many of the people reporting or showing the prototype weren't alive when Super 8 was popular. Hopefully, the questions and concerns posted here will be addressed as the production date nears (I hope).

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Ron Gerber
Junior

- posted May 11, 2016 01:52 PM      Profile for Ron Gerber   Email Ron Gerber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Bloomberg video answers the quality of the scan question. 4K

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-07/new-kodak-super-8-concept-camera-first-look-video

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 08:27 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of high end Super 8mm cameras in the late 1970's and early 1980's were way out of reach for me and most shooters of film back then. Even modest but capable cameras cost as much if not more (adjusted for inflation) than the target price for their new camera Kodak is bringing to market. And with it you get synch sound capabilities and interchangeable C mount lens... I say bring it on! My only suggestion/wish is for 200ft capability either in a new version of their 200ft cartridge or via roll fill in a separate magazine. It would bring the cost per foot of film down and make the camera viable for documentary and wedding photography as examples.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC