8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Carry On Films To Carry On

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carry On Films To Carry On
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Carry On" films set to carry on again after 25 years.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/17/new-series-of-carry-on-films-announced

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 17, 2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a little bit unsettling: what might have been well said with a smirk or a dirty laugh will probably be yelled out loud now.

-they don't get that it's funnier when you figure it out for yourself!

There was some talk a few years ago that they'd use CGI to make a new Laurel and Hardy....

-that's what the world really needs: the chance to hear Ollie say "F---!"!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 03:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree there Steve, i cant see this working at all, they tried it with carry on Columbus & that was embarrassing to watch. Apart from that the faces of the originals are so well known and connected to the carry on series i cant think of anyone who could step into there shoes.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 17, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the "Odd Couple" sequel?

-Who'da thought Felix Unger had such a dirty mouth?!!

(Of all people!)

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the real problem is the gap between the series and this "re-boot"/ If they had "Carried On" without a pause the series would have slowly evolved (as the series did in style and cast from Sergeant onwards) with a big jump people will say "It's not like it used to be" and not go to see them.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 11:24 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They can not improve on perfection, I wish they would just leave well alone.

--------------------
James Wilson

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 18, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would probably be more like "Carry On in Name Only"

If you think about it, you could plaster that name on many movies with a comic ensemble cast if you were willing to do it without the classic (and correct) people.

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World" could just as easily have been "Carry On California".

-Just like you shouldn't do a road picture without Hope and Crosby!

There's plenty of new stories left to write. They should get on with it and leave the classics alone!

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely agree with James. Remakes are never the same and never live up to the originals. Especially when the originals were so successful. Silly idea.

George Seaton
Junior

- posted May 21, 2016 05:58 AM      Profile for George Seaton   Email George Seaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Carry Ons but the last thing I want to see is a misjudged revival.

There have been several new Carry On film announcements over the years (remember 'Carry On London' a few years ago?) and they all mercifully came to nothing, I hope this will do the same.

'Carry On Columbus' was a near miss but it proved how popular the original series, cast and format are. The team and the time the films were made can never be recreated; leave well alone!

--------------------
George

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 08:00 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carry On's had a ready made Cinema audience who knew what to expect. That situation doesn't exist now. The 'Dad's Army' film was panned by the critics and shunned by the punters. I think this is an absolute mistake but let's wait and see. Who knows, we might have to eat humble pie yet.

--------------------
Dave

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 23, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those films were very much of their time.
Just sticking the words "Carry On..." in the title is unlikely to hack it.
However, we may be surprised [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 24, 2016 02:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They must be desperate for ideas [Eek!] the originals were bad enough [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 24, 2016 03:15 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I feel down I hit the carry on`s.

There are so many great bits in them.

I particularly like Peter Butterworth, in Camel,Abroad and Camping. Wonderful.

But there are so many great lines and set pieces etc.

I suppose bums on seats wise they will get people in with the history of the old ones, and lets see what its like etc.

Do we have the eclectic and also eccentric actors to choose from now ? in the UK ?.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 25, 2016 03:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst we have now lost most the Carry On actors, we must not forget the lines which they uttered which came from their writer, Talbot Rothwell. He also is no longer with us having died in 1981.

He wrote twenty one Carry On cinema films, plus many of the TV programmes and specials. His bawdy humour and outrageous innuendo were a trademark of the series.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way this might succeed is since movie audiences are usually on the young side, they've probably never seen the originals, not care that they are different and the new ones might actually work for them if geared to their "sensibilities".

-but at that rate, what's the point in even calling it "Carry On"?

Then again, if they were actually remakes instead of new stories, that would just be plain wrong!

--------------------

George Seaton
Junior

- posted May 25, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for George Seaton   Email George Seaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To pick up on your very valid point Maurice, two other key Carry On names who were intergal to the success of the series are also no longer with us and the only two people to be involved in all 31 of the films; Gerald Thomas, their Director and Mr Carry On himself, Producer Peter Rogers.

With so many key people missing on both sides of the camera any revival would be a misappropraition of the Carry On name.

--------------------
George

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course they could do a follow up to Carry on Admiral which was before the series and had nothing in common with it except the name. I include not being very funny in that comparison.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC