8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 2.55 Aspect Ratio

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2.55 Aspect Ratio
Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An unusual aspect ratio, no? Wider than "standard" 2.39 scope, but not as wide as 2.76 Ultra Panavision. Are these lenses rare?

I watched "How to Marry a Millionaire" on Netflix, the scan had some very slight, but noticeable curvature around the edges of the frame. As if maybe they used a lens that was close, but not exactly right.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 18, 2016 10:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ratio of 2.55:1 was the original ratio of 20th Century Fox CinemScope prints which had magnetic sound tracks.
Later when the prints received optical tracks the ratio then reduced to 2.35:1

--------------------
Maurice

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 10:26 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I imagine, the lenses would be exceedingly rare, then.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 18, 2016 10:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some early projection lenses for use with 'scope had the provision for continuous adjustment of their ratio. My cinema used Kalee Varimorph lenses, they could go from 4:3 to full scope.
I am not sure about lenses for cameras. I believe the first 'scope lenses that Fox used (for "The Robe") were specially imported from France.
As such, they may now be rare.

--------------------
Maurice

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lenses are 2X squeeze but as said the ratio change is due to the first few scope films having only mag tracks.

The distortions at the edges on some shots is a fault that some early scope films had. The wider angle shots caught too much of the inside of the lens and had curvature and more squeeze. It is visible on verticals near the sides of the image, door frames, etc.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 09:34 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. I'd love to see this projected. I may request the Museum of the Moving Image, here in NYC to get a print for screening, but figured the lenses to un-squeeze the picture properly would be hard to obtain. They screened a print of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", but weren't able to get the Ultra-Panavision lenses for the print and as a result, it was showed with a slight squeeze!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2016 05:42 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original CinemaScope lenses used by Fox had problems. Close focus gave distortions across the picture,as well, so close-ups looked odd. I believe these were made by/under licence from Henri Cretien who sold the idea to Fox. I have an 8mm lens with those names on, it is non focusing and has a 1.75:1 compression ratio to give 2.35:1 from the 3x4 frame.

The later Panavision lenses were much improved.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC