8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » No film feel to digital movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No film feel to digital movies
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2016 09:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I went to the movies yesterday to see the latest New Zealand film called "The Hunt For The Wilderpeople" and it was great.
Luxury 2-seater couches instead of the old sort of seats.
The film started on the nice big screen and that was when I realized it didn't have the film picture look to it like days gone by ....it was more like watching a huge TV screen!
Never-less this is the future of cinema and overall I enjoyed the experience [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 06:11 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Peter Jackson carries on with the High Frame Rate 48 frames/second it will look even more like TV, as some critics said when the first Hobbit movie came out.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 09:25 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital Cinema looks like video. When the digital information is manipulated to emulate the look of film, it never REALLY looks like film, does it? It's ironic that this technology tries to duplicate the look of what it has replaced.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because "digital cinema" IS video. It's just giant screen TV. No thank you.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed!! I still enjoy going to the cinema, but I feel such a sense of loss when the movie starts, and the super-sharp, crystal-clear image comes on the screen. I could never really explain it to the average person, but it just feels "cold".

I guess it would be like building a robot of myself, with flawless physical qualities, perfect in every way, even super-intelligent. But with no heart or soul.

Sorry if I sound over-dramatic, but that is how I feel at the cinemas now days. But as I said, I do still enjoy going to the movies, and still go pretty regularly. I just have to accept it for what it is now.

At least we can come home and put on a REAL film later! [Wink]

James

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC