8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Great report on increasing use of film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Great report on increasing use of film
Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many industry heavyweights that have cut their teeth on film and continue to advocate for its use. You have to wonder though what's going to happen as these people retire and new generations of filmmakers (or moviemakers) take over.

There won't be a wholesale return to film. There will be fewer and fewer cinemas that will be able to project it.

I think the best that can be hoped for is that enough filmmakers will be aware of the aesthetics of film that it will continue to be used here and there in the process of making movies. I believe you lose something when you're not projecting on film as well. However, there are so many advantages to digital that commercial film projection is going to fade away almost completely in my opinion.

|  IP: Logged

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2016 04:33 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind -
See Steven Spielberg's director's cut on an exclusive, new 35mm print, Fri 27 May - Thu 09 Jun

Saw this on 35mm about a month ago at MOMI. Was great.

quote:
I think the best that can be hoped for is that enough filmmakers will be aware of the aesthetics of film that it will continue to be used here and there in the process of making movies. I believe you lose something when you're not projecting on film as well. However, there are so many advantages to digital that commercial film projection is going to fade away almost completely in my opinion.
No, what's happening, IMO, is that real cinema on film is becoming the new "gourmet" and "connoisseur" way to see a film, at higher admission, just like vinyl lp's are now the same, being pressed on 180gram virgin vinyl, and selling at a much higher price point than LP albums did 30-35 years ago.

See http://www.metrograph.com

Indiewire feature about Metrograph

EDIT: Added second link

[ May 24, 2016, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Raleigh M. Christopher ]

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2016 07:29 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the question is what is behind the current niche appeal of vinyl and film and how long lasting will it be? Is it just because there's something inherent in them that provides a better experience?

While I do think there *is* something different in both film and vinyl that attracts people, I also think that is only part of why they're currently experiencing a renascence. Another part has to do with being both retro-cool among the younger generation and nostalgic to older generations. Both of those are fleeting.

Edit: with regard to "180 gram virgin vinyl" I do believe that some of that is pure marketing designed to get you to part with more money.

There is nothing about a 180 or 200 gram record that is going to make it sound better than a 120 gram record. The grooves are cut the same. Those albums may be more durable and resistant to warping, but my guess is that most buyers today baby those things anyway. I suppose it's a win-win. The buyers feel they're getting better quality and the distributers can charge more in exchange for providing a little extra plastic.

What is ironic to me about some audiophiles love of vinyl was that vinyl was used for distribution for practical reasons rather than because it delivered the best sound reproduction. Audiophiles back in the 50's and 60's preferred reel to reel over vinyl, but good reproduction and playback required time and expensive equipment for both the distributers and the consumers.

[ May 25, 2016, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC