8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Obtained a funky super 8 camera: cost effective film and processing options?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Obtained a funky super 8 camera: cost effective film and processing options?
Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The camera (Technicolor Mark Ten) may be a case of form over function but it does work as near as I can tell without film.

-

My brief research into purchasing film and processing has shown that it isn't cheap! Pro8mm sells a film/processing/scanning (SD) package for $88. Are there better options? I would love to be able to project as well as get a digital copy but it seems like color reversal film has just about disappeared. If I wanted to go the negative route, would a lower cost place like yesvideo be able to scan a negative?

This isn't something I'm planning to do a lot of. I'd just like to get some footage of the people and places from my parents 50 year old movies as they are today. Thought it would be fun to do it with a 50 year old camera. It would be all outdoor shots.

Thanks for any tips !

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 04:24 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very expensive, indeed. I've had negative experiences with Pro8mm, as have others I know, and would strongly advise you to deal with Yale Film and Video, or perhaps Spectra, and avoid the "big name" / sloppy work people. Particularly since once your unique piece of film comes out of the lab with spots on it, you can't get the unprocessed roll back...

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2016 10:56 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinelab

...and soon Kodak here in NYC.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 09:36 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you plan to do it a lot.... How about investing in a lomo tank and developing chemicals? You should sacrifice some poor super 8 film for practicing purposes (loading the film). It is not very cheap to buy the tank and some sort of hanger:drying system, but if you will shoot a lot it will save you in the long run.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC